Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 05:23 PM

483 posts, read 667,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
This looks like a troll post to me, yet nobody gets upset or calls it unusual when people ask where the heavily Jewish, Asian, etc. neighborhoods are. Just saying.
There is a difference between wanting at least a few other people like you so you aren't an outsider, and wanting to avoid certain groups. Two totally different things. It's one thing to say, are Muslims welcome in this town because I don't want to feel like an outsider, another to say I want to go where Muslims aren't because they creep me out. one is inclusive, one is divisive. One is acceptable, one is not. The OP asked a "loaded question" with no right answer. This post is fake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 09:03 PM

5 posts, read 7,813 times
I did not want to upset anyone and was not asking loaded questions. I apologize if it came across that way. I'm sorry if my family's beliefs offend some of you but as it has been stated there are other "groups" asking to live among their own preferred groups of people and the types of people they want their children to be around. I prefer my children live in the type of community I was raised in. I'm sure there are many Jewish and Islamic people who feel the same way. We prefer to be in a community where everyone shares the same values and faith. It would seem that is going to be hard to find in Long Island.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:09 PM

23,899 posts, read 32,207,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unitedbygrace78 View Post
Hello and God bless. My family is to move to Long Island soon where my husband will be working in Melville. We currently live in rural Pennsylvania. We are a Christian family and family values are very important to us. We know that Long Island is more liberal and secular than what we are used to, but family values are important to us. Can people recommend neighborhoods where there is large predominately Christian community - preferably Evangelical. We know that there are many Jewish on Long Island. Do they tend to live in their own neighborhoods, or are they dispersed through the Long Island? What neighborhoods are these. Are there homosexual communities, or are they only in New York City. Are there Islamic people, or are they only in New York City as well? Thank you for any help!

I think that rural Pennsylvania is perfect for you. Stay there. You will be uncomfortable on
Long Island.

If you saw nothing offensive about your post, you are of touch and in my prayers.

Shalom. Salem. Peace out.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:14 PM

5 posts, read 7,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Seriously. We need a Facebook type age rule.

True evangelicals from "rural PA" would be working their network and frankly not even considering a job in NY. What kind if job in rural PA translates to a job in the NYC metro anyway?
Our family lives an hour outside of Harrisburg where my husband is an executive at a major insurance company. Believe it or not people in PA can be professional and have jobs at national companies. He is being transferred to Melville as part of a restructuring. We are not happy about it. We don't have a "network" on Long Island. It is a bit of a mystery to us and the people we know. I have posted on Christian message boards, but have not received many answers. I understood this was a relocation forum for people to "network."

Old 02-24-2015, 09:32 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,590,788 times
Quote:
Our family lives an hour outside of Harrisburg where my husband is an executive at a major insurance company. Believe it or not people in PA can be professional and have jobs at national companies. He is being transferred to Melville as part of a restructuring. We are not happy about it. We don't have a "network" on Long Island. It is a bit of a mystery to us and the people we know. I have posted on Christian message boards, but have not received many answers. I understood this was a relocation forum for people to "network."
You made it clear you did not want to live in a community with homosexuals. You infer your values are more important that liberal therefore secular people. You use the word Muslim, and Jew, and wonder if they are on Long Island or just in the big bad city.
What's not insulting?

Last edited by RonkonkomaNative; 02-24-2015 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-25-2015, 05:31 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,074,025 times
Quote:
Networking involves meeting and learning from people that are not like you. You are going to have to broaden your horizons and interact with people that you have been brought up to fear (ie Jews, Muslims, and Homosexuals). Look at this as a learning experience. If you allow yourself to meet these people, learn from them, and become friends with them, you will have a much healthier and happier life.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:30 AM

13,036 posts, read 17,951,973 times
Quote:
I did not want to upset anyone and was not asking loaded questions. I apologize if it came across that way. I'm sorry if my family's beliefs offend some of you but as it has been stated there are other "groups" asking to live among their own preferred groups of people and the types of people they want their children to be around. I prefer my children live in the type of community I was raised in. I'm sure there are many Jewish and Islamic people who feel the same way. We prefer to be in a community where everyone shares the same values and faith. It would seem that is going to be hard to find in Long Island.
I understand that change is tough. I suggest since it seems that you can't back out that instead of trying to insulate yourself that you educate yourself. No matter where you go in life, there will be good people and less than good people. There will be nice, Italians, Polish, Chinese, Greek, Irish, and not so nice of the same. There will be nice, Jews, homosexuals, and Islamics and not so nice of the same. Your post implies that you are uncomfortable around people unlike yourself, which is a shame. Much can be learned in terms of culture and life in general, if instead of fighting it, you embrace it. Not sure what you think LI is like, it is not Sodom and Gomorrah. You will be living among many cultures and in my entire 55 years living on LI, never once did I feel that I was being forced to do anything I was not willing to do by a person of another culture. People will respond to you as you respond to them. My advice is open up your Christian arms and embrace the change, I am certain that you will find it a great experience and not something to fear.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:51 AM

92,274 posts, read 122,526,056 times
If or perhaps since your household will have the money to do this if you have children, maybe look into a school like this: The Stony Brook School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Like other said, this reeks of a "well other groups ask, so why can't I" thread, while not understanding the certain obvious reasons for the backlash. This is all too common on city-data forum for some reason.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:49 AM

13,036 posts, read 17,951,973 times
I didn't take it as offensive at all. Ignorant, isolated and fearful is what I read.

Edited to state. I don't mean ignorant as an insult. Ignorant as to what living outside of her area would be like

Last edited by nuts2uiam; 02-25-2015 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: added above

Old 02-25-2015, 08:15 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,074,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If or perhaps since your household will have the money to do this if you have children, maybe look into a school like this: The Stony Brook School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Like other said, this reeks of a "well other groups ask, so why can't I" thread, while not understanding the certain obvious reasons for the backlash. This is all too common on city-data forum for some reason.
Unfortunately the Stony Brook School would be full of the OP's feared Jews, as well as Asian-Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island