Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 07:42 PM

194 posts, read 425,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Previous groups congregated in their own enclaves because American Society did not welcome these immigrants with open arms as well as a familiarity of being among your own. For most groups this only lasted through the first generation and later ones mixed in society as a whole except for African Americans who continued to be less than welcome in main stream society.
Perhaps the founding of these places was due to being unwelcome, but why do these communities continue to exist past the 'first generation' if they became so well mixed into society.

People look to be near others like them more they they fear being rejected for moving into an area of difference.

Sorry, familiarity is still THE MAJOR factor and is the point of the OP.

Doesn't make him a hater deserving of attack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 07:55 PM

852 posts, read 968,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICDForumbites View Post
As a Christian it is my right to seek out neighborhoods free of lions (and also jews, muslims, gays, Methodists, hare krishnas and scientologists). But mostly, lions.
You forgot: "Catholics"- which seem to comprise about 90% of the population of LI.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:01 PM

198 posts, read 252,399 times
one thinkg left to say -- Hasa Diga Eebowai

Old 02-27-2015, 08:05 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianosaur View Post
Perhaps the founding of these places was due to being unwelcome, but why do these communities continue to exist past the 'first generation' if they became so well mixed into society.

People look to be near others like them more they they fear being rejected for moving into an area of difference.

Sorry, familiarity is still THE MAJOR factor and is the point of the OP.

Doesn't make him a hater deserving of attack.
Go back to my prior post to the OP, their desire to find others like them is not the issue; there desire to avoid specific groups is what grates everyone. All they need to do is contact a church associated with their faith and let them guide them to a locality.

As for the "hater" they bring it on themselves with their righteousness.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:52 AM

11,636 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianosaur View Post
Wow, way to attack the OP.

I think he is just looking to socialize with like minded people. That doesn't make him homophobic or anti-anything.

Nobody would have a problem if a homosexual made a post asking if there were any areas with a high population of gay people. Why do many gays live/visit Key West or San Francisco? Because they want to be near similar people.

Why is there a Little Italy or China Town or Spanish Harlem or Harlem? Birds of a feather WANT TO flock together. It doesn't make them HATE anyone else. People are most comfortable near their own and can feel a bit out of place in an area that is vastly different from their own demographic.

Sheeze, only a Christian would get torn a new one for this. Lighten up you morons.
Reread the original post. If she had said that she would like information about a town that had a community of evangelical Christians or a town that had a evangelical church and had left it at that, no one would be upset. But she went on to ask if there would also be Jews, Muslims, and Gays in the area, implying that she did not want to be in proxmity of them. It's her attitude of exclusion that is offensive.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:09 PM

852 posts, read 968,852 times
Well, I hope that the OP is still looking in on this thread, and has been warned.

Now you see why, pretty much every evil which gets a foot-hold in this country, starts either in NYC/LI, or L.A./SF.

40 years ago, LI was still a nice place. You should be able to get an idea from this thread what it is like today- and why it is that so many people there are willing to pay $10K+ a year in property taxes to live in their "own home" in one of the least-free places in this country. And why it is that life-long LIers like myself (along with virtually everyone we knew; grew-up with or were related to) have left.

If you value quality of life; your financial health; and your sanity, stay far FAR away. don't care if the new job is for a million dollars a year- it's simply not worth it.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:17 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Reread the original post. If she had said that she would like information about a town that had a community of evangelical Christians or a town that had a evangelical church and had left it at that, no one would be upset. But she went on to ask if there would also be Jews, Muslims, and Gays in the area, implying that she did not want to be in proxmity of them. It's her attitude of exclusion that is offensive.

Exactly! She also insinuated that she would prefer that they live in special neighborhoods, away from her.

It's OK to say "I don't want to be the *only* (fill in the blank) in the area". Even, "I want a healthy amount of people such as myself in my new area".

When you ask essentially "do they roam freely around Long Island - or any where else - you have crossed over into the dark side.

Also, there is no "evangelical Christian" neighborhood or town on LI.

The default religion on Long Island is Roman Catholic - not Southern Baptist or Assembly of God.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:15 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
Yeah, good luck, OP- the LI/NYC metro area is one of the most unGodly places in this country. It is not friendly to the family, as taxes and other living expenses are so high that pursuing money becomes the most important thing in most people's lives; and between the competition for everything from a parking space to a buck, everyone's always at each other's throats- there is no real community nor Christian culture there which would be anything like what you may have in PA.

Between the things I mentioned, and the rampant corruption- both in government, and the private sector (and the rampant crime) LI is a terrible place these days...and even more so for us Christians. The culture on the whole area is very secular, and all the bleeding hearts who constantly speak of "toleration", have no toleration themselves for people who hold to traditional moral values and absolute moral standards.

After having lived there for the first 39 years of my life, I left 13 years ago for the rural South.....and have never so much as dreamt of ever setting foot there again.

LI is like a foretaste of Hell.

As Hank Williams Jr. sings "...just send me to Hell, or New York City, it'd be about the same to me".
You can add another LI complaint if you want ... just try and find a Country/Western radio station to listen to on LI ... LOL!

Old 02-28-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
Well, I hope that the OP is still looking in on this thread, and has been warned.

Now you see why, pretty much every evil which gets a foot-hold in this country, starts either in NYC/LI, or L.A./SF.

40 years ago, LI was still a nice place. You should be able to get an idea from this thread what it is like today- and why it is that so many people there are willing to pay $10K+ a year in property taxes to live in their "own home" in one of the least-free places in this country. And why it is that life-long LIers like myself (along with virtually everyone we knew; grew-up with or were related to) have left.

If you value quality of life; your financial health; and your sanity, stay far FAR away. don't care if the new job is for a million dollars a year- it's simply not worth it.
Are you also a snake handling, fire and brimstone preacher down there in Kentucky? That line is certainly worthy of one of them.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I am all too familiar with the subculture of the OP. She is not concerned with Catholics or with white ethnics. In fact, she may not be a white anglo saxon Protestant herself.
She is more frightened of the teachings of the local United Methodist and Episcopalian churches than she is with conservative Roman Catholics.

Her main fears were stated in her post - Jews, Muslims and homosexuals. Secular humanists and intellectuals would probably also frighten her.

I left Long Island seven years ago. I could not afford living there any longer. We moved to PA, and people were less than welcoming. In fact, they sound quite a bit like the OP. They also had a general negative perception of anyone from NY.

Because of my political beliefs, I never thought of moving south. I live in Ohio and it's kind of like Long Island Light. I love it.

This woman's fears are similar to some people who live in South Eastern Long Island. Particularly the Shirley Mastic area and the Moriches. There are several Fundamentalist Churches there that are rather large as well as a Christian School. (LE Burkett Christian School in Center Moricihes - pre-K - 12. There are also many home schoolers, hunters, and homophobes in that area. It actually reminds me of rural PA which is full of Long Island ex Pats who have fled LI's increasing diversity.

She might find kindred spirits at The Shirley Assembly of God Church - (conservative by A/G standards)

Center Moriches Full Gospel Assembly - connected to LE Burkett Christian

East Port Bible Church.

She also might like the people who attend Smithtown Gospel Tabernacle. However, Smithtown is dangerously close to Stony Brook Setauket - which she would not like.

I won't attempt to change her thoughts, because I know that isn't possible.
At least you gave her some useful suggestions! +5!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island