U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 07:31 AM

3 posts, read 10,492 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,
Am a NYer/LIer who's been living overseas for over 25 years. Am coming back for good this July, and am 'flying blind' onto Long Island. I know it's changed alot since I was a kid just from some school profiles I've seen. I'm a single mom w. 2 angels going into grades 4 and 3. Private school out of the question so looking for decent public schools, and will be renting until further notice.

Any help and suggestions provided will be most gratefully appreciated.

Thanks for you time and wishing you all the best.
S.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2006, 06:55 PM

6,211 posts, read 7,403,159 times
Long Beach has gotten very expensive. They are planning to raise their property taxes 25 % this year. July might be tough getting rentals as it is high season for rentals. Island Park, Freeport, or Baldwin might be cheaper

Old 04-21-2006, 01:26 AM

Dear fopt65,
I'll be renting so although there may be exceptions, I've never heard of a renter on LI (or anywhere else for that matter) that paid property tax. Freeport is out of the question b/c of the school district (one of the worst on the island). Island Park? I dunno, would have to check schools, Baldwin ditto. Long Beach is being seriously considered for two reasons: 1) it's on the water, which is very important for my soul, 2) we are coming from Israel and it's important esp. for my children to have a significant Jewish community nearby, not orthodox (we're not) but my children will have enough to deal with w/o being in a culture/community totally foreign to them. If you have any other suggestions, believe me it would be appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best.
S.

Old 05-22-2006, 09:53 AM

2 posts, read 8,404 times
I would strongly recommend Long Beach. The Jewish community is very strong, and the school district is outstanding. Long Beach also has a large variety of outstanding children's programs available right in the village, such as tae kwon do, dance, yoga, music together, piano, etc. The library is large and has a lot of free services available to children thoughout the summer. If you can afford Long Beach, this is definitley where you should go, the beach is beautiful, the children will have plenty to do, there are concerts on the beach each week, and there is plenty to get involved in.

Old 05-23-2006, 02:32 AM

Default Dear Lore, thanks!

I really appreciate your thorough response and believe me, it came just at the right time. I've already started to look for housing and also have started wondering if I hadn't gone out of my mind with all the hassles of the move! Your positive and informative input is a welcome breath of fresh air.

Thank you so much,
Shlomit

Old 11-06-2007, 02:26 PM

11,107 posts, read 14,821,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Long Beach has gotten very expensive. They are planning to raise their property taxes 25 % this year. July might be tough getting rentals as it is high season for rentals. Island Park, Freeport, or Baldwin might be cheaper
Island park, baldwin & freeport= crapholes

Old 11-06-2007, 08:27 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,050,839 times
Default I am curious..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lore9070 View Post
I would strongly recommend Long Beach. The Jewish community is very strong, and the school district is outstanding. Long Beach also has a large variety of outstanding children's programs available right in the village, such as tae kwon do, dance, yoga, music together, piano, etc. The library is large and has a lot of free services available to children thoughout the summer. If you can afford Long Beach, this is definitley where you should go, the beach is beautiful, the children will have plenty to do, there are concerts on the beach each week, and there is plenty to get involved in.
I have only been to Long Beach for the random night out or restaurant outing in recent years, and I have not been there within the last year...but there is a strong jewish community??? I always figured it for irish/catholic,with a dash of diversity. Again, I could care less, I just did not know the jewish community was as strong a presence. Other areas such as Oceanside and the Five Towns were always described to me as large jewish communities, but never Long Beach. I have no agenda in asking, I was simply curious. I was also curious about the schools. A 26% free lunch rate can often mean challenges with the student population. If it is in fact a superlative school then great, but I would dig in a bit more on those numbers in advance of making such a big move.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:23 PM

9,341 posts, read 26,597,099 times
For those who may not be familiar with Long Beach:

Long Beach is a city (chartered in 1922) located on Long Beach Island in the southwest part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the City of Long Beach is bordered on the north by Hewlett Bay and Reynolds Channel; on the east by the Hamlet of Lido Beach in the Town of Hempstead; on the south by the Atlantic Ocean; and, on the west by the Hamlet of East Atlantic Beach in the Town of Hempstead.

Two out of every 5 places with a "Long Beach, NY 11561" mailing address are NOT in the City of Long Beach: places that have a "Long Beach, NY 1561" mailing address, but are not in the City of Long Beach, are in the Hamlet of East Atlantic Beach and the Hamlet of Lido Beach, both of these hamlets are in the Town of Hempstead.

Prior to 1922 when Long Beach became a city and became independent of the Town of Hempstead, Long Beach was a village (incorporated in 1918) in the Town of Hempstead, and prior to that, Long Beach was a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the Town of Hempstead, initially in Queens County until January 1, 1899, and since then in Nassau County.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:04 AM

1,258 posts, read 4,505,823 times
My brother lives in Long Beach, has for several years...It's a great community! I think you will be happy there. I would attempt to secure a rental by March/April...as the summer season approaches, rentals become slim to none. Good Luck.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:57 AM

11,107 posts, read 14,821,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhattanMama View Post
Hi Folks,
Am a NYer/LIer who's been living overseas for over 25 years. Am coming back for good this July, and am 'flying blind' onto Long Island. I know it's changed alot since I was a kid just from some school profiles I've seen. I'm a single mom w. 2 angels going into grades 4 and 3. Private school out of the question so looking for decent public schools, and will be renting until further notice.

Any help and suggestions provided will be most gratefully appreciated.

Thanks for you time and wishing you all the best.
S.
Long Beach isn't much of a family community- lots of youngins drinkin all the time...and it's ghetto pretty badly by the waldbaums & the train station. IMO, Long Beach sucks. Atrocious parking and it's so far from everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or