Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 07:21 PM

483 posts, read 670,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
Anywhere on the Babylon line between Merrick and Massapequa would meet your needs. (And yes, check flood zones). North Bellmore/North Merrick are equally great though a little bit further from the train. East Meadow and Levittown don't have their own train stations, but you get a little more house for your money. Commuters take a train on the Babylon line our out of Hicksville.

Good luck!
I might even include Baldwin and also in a pinch Babylon, which is the terminus a little far but pleasant place..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 05:31 AM

19 posts, read 22,992 times
Thanks everyone! Babylon is a nice area also just way too far to commute into the city. we are more familiar with suffolk, taxes are more forgiving and you get a nice size yard out there but unfortunately commuting to NYC wouod be long.

I will look into Merrick, Seaford and surrounding areas. Rockville Centre is nice but very pricey.
we'll also keep the flood zone in mind when looking

Old 02-27-2015, 07:05 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
^ Seaford is not exactly a high ranking school district. Lots of choices in that range so I'd skip that seeing that it's one of your top requirements.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:39 AM

88 posts, read 150,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
^ Seaford is not exactly a high ranking school district. Lots of choices in that range so I'd skip that seeing that it's one of your top requirements.
Which ranking(s) are you speaking of? Having 3 children, and married to a teacher, we have been very happy to with the education our children are receiving. We have no regrets with our selection.

All schools in the district are ranked by NYSED as "Being in Good Standing", with the high school being a "Reward School":
Long Island school rankings, 2013-14

It has placed in rankings of national publications:
Seaford High School Named Among Nation's Most Challenging | Wantagh-Seaford, NY Patch

Students who have families that are involved with education can assure solid college options (yes, you can graduate from small SHS and go to Ivy League schools like Columbia):
Seaford baseball duo are college bound - Seaford - LIHerald.com - Nassau County's source for local news, breaking news, sports, entertainment & shopping

In terms of AP exams and college preparation, they had more AP exams than neighboring Wantagh, with more scores of 3-5 on AP exams. Not saying Seaford is superior, but when you look closer at the scores, it's a good option.
Advanced Placement test results

My son's friend has an older sibling who was accepted into Villanova with a full semester under her belt thanks to the number of AP courses she received credit for. One semester of $$$ saved is big bucks.

Yes, Massapequa ranks higher in most every educational ranking, but some people prefer a smaller school district, so it's not a bad option and not one I would skip altogether.

Good luck! Any questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited by bkind77; 02-27-2015 at 08:04 AM..

Old 03-04-2015, 03:27 AM

167 posts, read 305,461 times
If I had to do it again... Wantagh. They are doing really well and the Jones aren't so high as Merrick.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:29 AM

167 posts, read 305,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Rosie O'Donnel is the most famous student. Nuff said
Silly comment. Commack SD is in the top 10 of the whole island. The commute would be well worth it, taxes not so much. The average taxes there are around 16k.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:26 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMom77 View Post
Silly comment. Commack SD is in the top 10 of the whole island. The commute would be well worth it, taxes not so much. The average taxes there are around 16k.
If I was doing a long commute I would move to Cold Spring Harbor District or even North Shore Schools which is the Glen Head area.

If I was on a budget and only had 1-2 kids I might even buy a coop walking distance to RVC train and get the schools and easy commute on a low budget.

Or South hempstead which has RVC schools or Great Neck Terrace Coops or Manhasset behind St. Marys some less expensive houses or find a home on GC border near Hempstead with GC schools.

Commack is way way way way way way way way too far from Manhattan to commute.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMom77 View Post
Eek! 16k is very high, but thank you for the information

Old 03-04-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
If I was doing a long commute I would move to Cold Spring Harbor District or even North Shore Schools which is the Glen Head area.

If I was on a budget and only had 1-2 kids I might even buy a coop walking distance to RVC train and get the schools and easy commute on a low budget.

Or South hempstead which has RVC schools or Great Neck Terrace Coops or Manhasset behind St. Marys some less expensive houses or find a home on GC border near Hempstead with GC schools.

Commack is way way way way way way way way too far from Manhattan to commute.
Thanks, we'll look at Manhasset behind St. Marys area

Old 03-04-2015, 09:17 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgirl15 View Post
Eek! 16k is very high, but thank you for the information
It's right on MLSLI. The $500k Commack houses are actually around 12k-14k, before STAR (~$1200 off). Huge properties, great schools... do it if you can do the commute (1hr15min out of Kings Park to Penn). We commute 3hrs rountrip a day including subway out of eastern Nassau but that would be over 3.5 hours from Commack (unless you're right at Penn). This is why we didn't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island