Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 10:20 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grilba View Post
It's gorgeous and op can roll out of bed and into the train. Roll out of bed the other way he can go to any number of bars and restaurants. Big box stores about1.5 miles away and very close to golf, trails ect. The whole area is in the middle of a massive overhaul.
I think he'd have to be careful about what bars to choose to go to if this is the clientele going to some of the bars walking distance from the train station:

Deer Park man accused of stabbing at LIRR station in Farmingdale - Newsday

Quote:
Police said the suspect and the victim first met each other at the train station and went to drink at a nearby bar.
Police: Man stabbed outside Farmingdale train station - News 12 Long Island
Quote:
FARMINGDALE - Police say a man was stabbed outside the Farmingdale train station cab stand early this morning.

According to police, a cab driver held the alleged attacker until police arrived on the scene.

The MTA says the two men had been out drinking when they got into an argument around midnight at the station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 11:28 AM

483 posts, read 670,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I think he'd have to be careful about what bars to choose to go to if this is the clientele going to some of the bars walking distance from the train station:

Deer Park man accused of stabbing at LIRR station in Farmingdale - Newsday

Police: Man stabbed outside Farmingdale train station - News 12 Long Island
You don't think assault happens in every bar? When I was a kid people were stabbed and even run over in those total ghettos Wantagh and Massapequa. Where you have drunks you have assault, rape all those things. That's why people don't like bars.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
You don't think assault happens in every bar? When I was a kid people were stabbed and even run over in those total ghettos Wantagh and Massapequa. Where you have drunks you have assault, rape all those things. That's why people don't like bars.
I know. The incident just came up at the wrong time for my post. I hate it when I "recommend" an area and then nasty stuff immediately comes up in the news!

Old 03-05-2015, 11:49 AM

483 posts, read 670,143 times
Quote:
I know. The incident just came up at the wrong time for my post. I hate it when I "recommend" an area and then nasty stuff immediately comes up in the news!
It IS funny. But here's one for Wantagh for ya,

Cops: Beer pong game turns violent in Wantagh - Long Island Crime | Examiner.com

Farmingdale seems to be everyone's whipping boy, and when I hear of things happening there I groan, but so many times people in other, supposedly nicer towns are complaining about things that happen, but those things never make the news it seems even though some of that stuff is actually quite serious. Then some kids in Farmingdale get caught with a bit of weed and it makes the news.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
It IS funny. But here's one for Wantagh for ya,

Cops: Beer pong game turns violent in Wantagh - Long Island Crime | Examiner.com

Farmingdale seems to be everyone's whipping boy, and when I hear of things happening there I groan, but so many times people in other, supposedly nicer towns are complaining about things that happen, but those things never make the news it seems even though some of that stuff is actually quite serious. Then some kids in Farmingdale get caught with a bit of weed and it makes the news.
Looks like people are stabbing each other left and right on Long Island ... oh well, nowhere is perfect.

I recommended that building because I seriously think it has a lot of what the OP is looking for, but I don't know much about Farmingdale other than hearsay and the hearsay is mostly on the side of it's a decent place to live. More positive than negative, but people always pay more attention to the negative.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:53 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,642 times
Quote:
And Farmingdale was one of the places I was considering, but there's a bad element there, some illegals too. I remember 10 years ago I witnessed a guy in a beat up Honda with out of state plates pull out of a driveway and hit a parked car, then drive away!
Happened right on Rt.24 in downtown Farmingdale.
Then there's the LIRR, its not the most reliable or frequent there.
If you depend on the LIRR alot, the Babylon Branch is really the only fairly reliable option, as its the most modern, elevated in it's entirety (which means no grade crossings and less problems with snow accumulating on tracks).
Its safe to say Farmingdale is out. I would only consider moving to Merrick, Bellmore, Wantagh, Seaford, RVC or the Massapequas.
Especially if you depend on the LIRR. Only the Port Washington line is the other good line, but it is very expensive to live around it!

Old 03-06-2015, 07:54 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
And Farmingdale was one of the places I was considering, but there's a bad element there, some illegals too. I remember 10 years ago I witnessed a guy in a beat up Honda with out of state plates pull out of a driveway and hit a parked car, then drive away!
Happened right on Rt.24 in downtown Farmingdale.
Then there's the LIRR, its not the most reliable or frequent there.
If you depend on the LIRR alot, the Babylon Branch is really the only fairly reliable option, as its the most modern, elevated in it's entirety (which means no grade crossings and less problems with snow accumulating on tracks).
Its safe to say Farmingdale is out. I would only consider moving to Merrick, Bellmore, Wantagh, Seaford, RVC or the Massapequas.
Especially if you depend on the LIRR. Only the Port Washington line is the other good line, but it is very expensive to live around it!
My favorite place I lived in a building was I owned a coop on Douglaston Parkway right near LIRR stop. Great little neighborhood. Good bar, Italian restaurant, pizzeria, chinese joint, CVS and little delli/veggie stand all right on the short walk to train in morning. It was like a 23 minute commute to Penn and if LIRR was not running on rare occassion. Q26 buss from corner of Northern and Douglaston Parkway took you right to 7 train very quickly.

On top of that I could take a cab home if I had to as they dont double fare till you hit Nassau Border and there was an Express bus to. Multiple ways to get home unlike Farmingdale.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:32 PM

131 posts, read 332,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyLI View Post
Mineola: Mill Creek Moderna is opening this summer (brand new).
I agree that this is your best bet. Rent one of the new apartments within walking distance of the Mineola train station. Everything will be new, you can't beat the commute to NYC and you are close to shopping, restaurants, bars, etc. + that area is safe so no worries on that front. And if you every need hospitalization you are just 1-2 blocks from Winthrop.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:34 PM

131 posts, read 332,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
My favorite place I lived in a building was I owned a coop on Douglaston Parkway right near LIRR stop. Great little neighborhood. Good bar, Italian restaurant, pizzeria, chinese joint, CVS and little delli/veggie stand all right on the short walk to train in morning. It was like a 23 minute commute to Penn and if LIRR was not running on rare occassion. Q26 buss from corner of Northern and Douglaston Parkway took you right to 7 train very quickly.

On top of that I could take a cab home if I had to as they dont double fare till you hit Nassau Border and there was an Express bus to. Multiple ways to get home unlike Farmingdale.
Yes, but you have to pay NYC income taxes in Douglaston and there are not many rental options there and those apts are on the older side. You can buy a coop there, but buying a coop is not the best financial decision IMO.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:00 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,642 times
Default I'd avoid Farmingdale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post

I bet Douglaston is expensive too, just like alot of the other places along the Pt.Washington Branch.
The situation in Farmingdale is worse than I realized, looking at these Google Streeviews there are large amounts of guys just loitering around not far from the train station at all, near Secatogue Ave and Conklin...its pretty bad.
Not sure who is going to want to move into those apt bldgs near the station after they see this.
https://goo.gl/maps/ny7F4

https://goo.gl/maps/hZJqq

I have to say thats even worse than the stuff I've seen on Post Ave!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island