Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 09:48 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times

Advertisements

If you want to see over-exaggeration, read posts from former LI'ers. I think only 5 of those items are close to reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 02:51 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,410,057 times
Aside from the line about cops hassling middle class it's a fairly dead on description. Hurry up Spring '17.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:04 AM

81 posts, read 106,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
You can not have the quality of life on LI that you have in TX, for ANY money!

If you'd like to live in a place where you have no 2nd Amendment rights...

Where you have to get a permit and pay a fee for every little thing you do- from taking a walk in the woods, to putting up a little tool shed in your yard....

If you like paying over $12K a year in property taxes...

Having your kids go to school with a bunch of spoiled brats; drug addicts and juvenile delinquents....

Living in a place where your tax money is used to ruin your quality of life, and where English-speaking European Americans are a minority....

Where people are extremely rude; obnoxious; profane; and criminally-inclined....

Where cops who make well over $100K a year are just looking for any little excuse to hassle; interfere with; and stop innocent people, especially the middle-class, who pay their fines and have assets to forfeit, as a way of revenue generation 9But which are completely worthless if you ever actually need their services).....

If you enjoy living in an atmosphere in which the cost of living would have one thinking that the streets should be paved with gold, but where the reality is that everything is falling apart, and nothing works as it should (i.e. a little rain will completely screw-up the LIRR; the roads are filthy crumbling and have pot-holes which will eat your car; Your street might not be plowed for days when it snows....

If you like the most corrupt, over-paid, over-reaching politicians on earth- and where you have to deal with FIVE layers of government (Federal; state; county; township; and village), where the township and village governments make the Nazis look lenient....

If you like being surrounded by water, but not being able to enjoy it, because it is a hassle to get to it; you have to pay fees/have permits to use it; and the beaches and the waters are crowded with bathers and boat traffic.....

If you like regularly having anything in your yard which is not chained down, stolen...

If you love oppressive humidity in the summer (which makes 84* seem like 109); Mosquitoes; cold, clammy depressing long winters, where the snow turns into a disgusting slushy brown mess within 24 hours of it falling....

If you like living from paycheck to paycheck, even though your income puts you in the top 5% of earners in the country; and despite the fact that you are responsible and make wise decisions- because the state in which you live likes to play Robin Hood and redistribute your wealth- and punish the responsible while rewarding the irresponsible and immoral (Not to mention the corrupt unions, and sweetheart business deals the politicians make...)......

Then you will love LI.

LI was a wonderful place 40 years ago. Today? Pfffftt!

-Former LIer, now living in America.

I have been on li for 15 yrs. This is an accurate description.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:50 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP52462 View Post
Who are you kidding?
This place SUCKS!

Stop trying to mislead the truth and ruin a family's life..
No. To YOU it sucks. Some people get by and like it here just fine. Sorry you can't.

Uhh I don't believe Ovi ever recommended they move here, he was just rightly disputing some idiotic posts like its costs 300k to live here which is ridiculous.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:31 AM

Normally I wouldnt respond to a long winded mumbly joe rant but this one I couldn't resist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
You can not have the quality of life on LI that you have in TX, for ANY money!

If you'd like to live in a place where you have no 2nd Amendment rights...

No argument here, if you like having an arsenal of weapons this isn't thte place for you, but if you are like the majority of people and don't own any firearms then this won't make any difference.

Where you have to get a permit and pay a fee for every little thing you do- from taking a walk in the woods, to putting up a little tool shed in your yard....

You obviously are unfamiliar with the concept of deed restrictions which are very common in newer communities in the south and south west where you have to get HOA approval on the color to paint your house or even put up a fence. In many cases much more restrictive then most LI communities.

If you like paying over $12K a year in property taxes...

No argument here of course, as most agree this is LIs and much of the NE'st no1 problem

Having your kids go to school with a bunch of spoiled brats; drug addicts and juvenile delinquents....

Yeah because there are NO drug addicts or spoiled brats in Texas or anywhere else in the nation. This is the millennial generation. Wake up.

Living in a place where your tax money is used to ruin your quality of life, and where English-speaking European Americans are a minority....

HAHAHAHA! This is by far your most ridiculous comment. Texas is literally being invaded every day ,school age minorities already outnumber whites there. What planet are you on? And newsflash the entire countries demographics are shifting, and your little middle of nowhere flyover town will be no exception.

Where people are extremely rude; obnoxious; profane; and criminally-inclined....

Thats all just your opinion I've met rude people, and great people all over the country in my travels, criminally inclined? LI is still one of the safest places in the country

Where cops who make well over $100K a year are just looking for any little excuse to hassle; interfere with; and stop innocent people, especially the middle-class, who pay their fines and have assets to forfeit, as a way of revenue generation 9But which are completely worthless if you ever actually need their services).....

Someone who makes a post like this has obviously had some trouble with the cops before...

If you enjoy living in an atmosphere in which the cost of living would have one thinking that the streets should be paved with gold, but where the reality is that everything is falling apart, and nothing works as it should (i.e. a little rain will completely screw-up the LIRR; the roads are filthy crumbling and have pot-holes which will eat your car; Your street might not be plowed for days when it snows....

No one ever thought the streets were paved with gold here. LIRR has its issues but your comment is over exaggerating in the extreme. My street is almost always promptly plowed. Has never been an issue.

If you like the most corrupt, over-paid, over-reaching politicians on earth- and where you have to deal with FIVE layers of government (Federal; state; county; township; and village), where the township and village governments make the Nazis look lenient....

No argumentment here, although if you think bad local politicians don't exist elsewhere then your head is in the sand.

If you like being surrounded by water, but not being able to enjoy it, because it is a hassle to get to it; you have to pay fees/have permits to use it; and the beaches and the waters are crowded with bathers and boat traffic.....

Maybe where you used to live it was a hassle to get to the beach but for plenty it's no big deal at all. The fees for my beach are no big deal and worth it IMO preventing it from overcrowding.

If you like regularly having anything in your yard which is not chained down, stolen...

More nonsense, nothing has ever been stolen from my yard or is chained down. And you think yard theft is just exclusive to LI? Where did you live? Wyndanch?

If you love oppressive humidity in the summer (which makes 84* seem like 109); Mosquitoes; cold, clammy depressing long winters, where the snow turns into a disgusting slushy brown mess within 24 hours of it falling....

The humidity here is NOTHING compared to the humidity down south take it from someone who lived in Florida almost half my life. Last summer was actually very pleasant and mild. Summers up here blow away summers in the south and southwest where it is oppressively hot every single day. You are really complaint about dirty snow now?? Lol ok. Maybe they should just not plow so it can look all pretty for Mumbly Joe.

If you like living from paycheck to paycheck, even though your income puts you in the top 5% of earners in the country; and despite the fact that you are responsible and make wise decisions- because the state in which you live likes to play Robin Hood and redistribute your wealth- and punish the responsible while rewarding the irresponsible and immoral (Not to mention the corrupt unions, and sweetheart business deals the politicians make...)....

I agree with some of what you say here although everyone here does not live paycheck to paycheck as you obviously did judging from your constant comments about the COL here.

Then you will love LI.

LI was a wonderful place 40 years ago. Today? Pfffftt!

-Former LIer, now living in America.

Last edited by peconic117; 03-17-2015 at 06:22 AM..

Old 03-17-2015, 05:38 AM

703 posts, read 1,173,425 times
Peconic117: bravo/a

Old 03-17-2015, 06:13 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
If you want to see over-exaggeration, read posts from former LI'ers. I think only 5 of those items are close to reality.
Actually once you move away it does seem pretty accurate. My DH goes back about every 3 months to visit his parents and every single time he says "how did we live here so long?"

One of my friends just went back to NY, she's been an ex-pat for 20 years. Doesn't make it back often because her family is all down here now. She was in a full-on rant when she got back to NC, lol. And being up there for a wedding she said the one thing she heard over and over was "you're lucky you got out when you did!".

I can assure you that the visible-to-the-naked-eye statements that MumblyJoe made will be patently obvious to anyone who would visit; everything will look old and dirty to someone coming from TX... and the other things (most of them) are easily fact-checked.

I don't really care if the OP moves to LI or anywhere else, and I try to stay out of these debates lately, but it's important that he has a perspective that will help him make a decision that is good for his family.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

I can assure you that the visible-to-the-naked-eye statements that MumblyJoe made will be patently obvious to anyone who would visit, and the other things (most of them) are easily fact-checked.
Yeah easily fact checked and debunked. And about 75% of his observations were either completely just opinion or just plain false. I gave him credit where it was due (and it wasn't much).

I just get angry when people shout blatant falsehoods about LI, like it costs 300k for a family to live here, or every person is rude, all the kids are on heroin etc. Just like you (rightly so) argue against the falsehoods some here spew about the south (nonsense like all the schools are bad, everyone is a bible thumping redneck etc.)

Last edited by peconic117; 03-17-2015 at 06:27 AM..

Old 03-17-2015, 06:23 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,888,752 times
Just got back from Houston for a week and am extremely happy to be back. Peconic is right on.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:53 AM

703 posts, read 1,173,425 times
Everyone's entitled to their opinion, however some people have lived elsewhere and/or travelled extensively and still actually prefer NY. The irritating thing about the ex-LIers who post here is that they think everyone here is ignorant and never lived anywhere else.

Last edited by daisyLI; 03-17-2015 at 08:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island