Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 02:36 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,989,354 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

My sister is considering going for a decent home in Wantagh SD. The taxes are exorbitant compared to other homes in the area. If people grieve using a reputable professional company, does that guarantee a reduction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 07:12 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
No but you have a good chance of it since they will go fight a denial in court for you. The statistic was something like 80% of people who grieved THEMSELVES got a reduction. Regardless it's never a guarantee and you shouldn't rely on it if that makes or breaks your decision. It's a good SD for the lower home prices compared to other good districts. But their taxes - there's always a catch.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:20 PM

592 posts, read 919,718 times
Nassau sux because they reassess every year. Suffolk does assessments through their towns and can't/doesn't adjust your assessment if you win big... and it's way too much money for Suffolk's towns to do a complete reassessment.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetstash View Post
Nassau sux because they reassess every year. Suffolk does assessments through their towns and can't/doesn't adjust your assessment if you win big... and it's way too much money for Suffolk's towns to do a complete reassessment.
I believe it's every 2 years. 2016 next.

Suffolk sux because they don't have a site like mynassauproperty.com where you can see and do everything.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
I believe it's every 2 years. 2016 next.
I stand corrected. Even so, in Suffolk you can go 10, 20, 30 years without a reassessment as long as you don't trigger anything for it (i.e. get a building permit, build an addition, etc)

Old 03-13-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post

Suffolk sux because they don't have a site like mynassauproperty.com where you can see and do everything.
Nassau's website is great. I wonder how much longer they will be willing to fund it!

Old 03-14-2015, 01:25 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,989,354 times
Thanks everyone. Appreciate all opinions!

Old 03-14-2015, 07:29 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times
Too late to grieve this year deadline just passed recently. You need to go to the Nassau County Landrecord viewer and look up details of house etc

BTW now if you grieve since you missed deadline 10-1-2017 is earliest you can get a reduction. You cant even enter a grievance until Jan 2016

Maybe owner already has a grievance pending.

Nassau reassesses every four years now as they could not afford to do it every year. We are almost at year six of them not doing it as Sandy screwed up the schedule.

But either Jan 2016 or at latest Jan 2017 they will reasses everyone again.

NYS you can only raise assessed value a max of 20% over a five year period so a house with a very low assessment even if they reassess for a lot more it could take 10-20 years to get back to full market value at 4% a year.

I have seen some one million dollar homes assessed for 475K. Do the math, even if they get reassessed 475K compounded at 4% is a very long time to get to One million,.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
NYS you can only raise assessed value a max of 20% over a five year period so a house with a very low assessment even if they reassess for a lot more it could take 10-20 years to get back to full market value at 4% a year.

I have seen some one million dollar homes assessed for 475K. Do the math, even if they get reassessed 475K compounded at 4% is a very long time to get to One million,.
You've brought this up before and I still don't understand why we would want it assessed higher.

Does it affect appraisal and a sale not going through?

Old 03-15-2015, 02:54 PM

352 posts, read 387,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetstash View Post
I stand corrected. Even so, in Suffolk you can go 10, 20, 30 years without a reassessment as long as you don't trigger anything for it (i.e. get a building permit, build an addition, etc)
Only in some Suffolk Towns can you go that long. Southampton reassesses very frequently, like every year or two. This is good because if done correctly it keeps everything fair and reduces the number of successful grievances. But it is often unpopular with politicians who are up for election.

Several Suffolk towns have the full tax roll available to the public on line and it's also available to view at the Assessors Office.
That's the first place to start if you want to do it yourself. The companies that do it for a fee have complete digitized tax rolls for all 10 towns in Suffolk. They obtain the data from the County Treasurer who is ultimately responsible for collecting delinquent taxes and making the Towns and School Districts whole. If you don't like digging around for this kind of data, hire someone to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: