Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 06:24 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,908,647 times

Advertisements

Did they ever fix that Walmart up? Last time I went in there, it looked horrid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 06:51 PM

718 posts, read 620,595 times
Moving from san diego to this dump with nothing to offer lol that is totally ass backwards.

Enjoy san diego, suny farmingdale and long island are about as boring as it gets.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:39 PM

15 posts, read 21,404 times
Well, we don't have a choice, we were hoping to move somewhere in the midwest. But like I mentioned in a previous post my partner is going to be a Professor for Farmingdale, we are hoping this will be a stepping stone to a different University in a different state in the near future. He just finished up his PhD in Economics here in San Diego. I know Long Island is a paradise compared to some places I lived in my life. I'm 26 and I have lived in New Zealand -- TOO Isolated, I have lived in Mexico for years --- got tired of it, and I lived like a local, not like a tourist, I lived in Texas --- it was nice... been in San Diego for years, born in San Diego... know this place front and back - not as perfect as everyone claims. Don't get me wrong San Diego is nice, but it's not for me. I don't know if I will like Long Island, but I will make the best out of it! We are not difficult to please. As long as we have heat and hot water we are happy. I read about how expensive Long Island is on these boards... but here in San Diego we have been living off $50-55k a year and we live in the most affluent area. We never felt poor, we are good with money and budget etc. And I know people say that you need $100-150k to be happy in San Diego. We never felt deprived financially here. It's what you make out it personally.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:44 PM

15 posts, read 21,404 times
As for long commutes, nothing can compare to when I lived in Mexico and commuted to Northern San Diego! I left my house at 4:00AM got to work at 8:30AM, slept in the car until 10AM worked until 6:30PM. Got home around 9-10PM.... So two hours on the train sounds nice to me...

Old 03-20-2015, 08:46 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,990,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbrophy2013 View Post
Thank you all!

I really appreciate your help. Bay Shore looks like our best bet right now. But I will keep looking. We have plenty of time to look. The town homes next to the train station look really nice.

Just a few more questions if any of you are still reading this:
1. Cheapest company to get internet? We don't need cable or home phone.

2. I can't figure out how much the the train cost :/ I have never been on public transportation etc... except for an airplane. How much should I expect to spend monthly on the train if I have to commute to NYC?

Thanks all,
That's all on LIRR site.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:19 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbrophy2013 View Post
Well, we don't have a choice, we were hoping to move somewhere in the midwest. But like I mentioned in a previous post my partner is going to be a Professor for Farmingdale, we are hoping this will be a stepping stone to a different University in a different state in the near future. He just finished up his PhD in Economics here in San Diego. I know Long Island is a paradise compared to some places I lived in my life. I'm 26 and I have lived in New Zealand -- TOO Isolated, I have lived in Mexico for years --- got tired of it, and I lived like a local, not like a tourist, I lived in Texas --- it was nice... been in San Diego for years, born in San Diego... know this place front and back - not as perfect as everyone claims. Don't get me wrong San Diego is nice, but it's not for me. I don't know if I will like Long Island, but I will make the best out of it! We are not difficult to please. As long as we have heat and hot water we are happy. I read about how expensive Long Island is on these boards... but here in San Diego we have been living off $50-55k a year and we live in the most affluent area. We never felt poor, we are good with money and budget etc. And I know people say that you need $100-150k to be happy in San Diego. We never felt deprived financially here. It's what you make out it personally.
I wouldn't be rushing to leave a full time job at SUNY. It has its benefits. My SIL just hired a new full time econ prof. and I'm sure he is not going to get what your SO will get. And she's not an easy boss. Consider yourselves very lucky. You are very young. You'll be fine here and once you get a job of your own, you'll feel more settled.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:31 PM

159 posts, read 193,014 times
OP You should be aware that Long Island is the 7th most racially segregated place in the country! Suffolk County is considered "country" by everyone the closer you get to the city. If you're not coming here with a huge savings account and a high paying job then welcome to the struggle where you will forever exist struggling along with all your angry neighbors! Lottery as the exit strategy? Long Island is not doing well at all. It's way overpriced and there are very few townships/villages anywhere that are not neck deep in debt. The tax burden for homeowners grows at a ridiculous rate and so do the rents. Crime is rampant, tensions are high, layoffs are abundant, Good jobs are rare and good entertainment is far and few. Your are moving to an island though so currently it's March 19th and it's snowing right now at plow levels and I don't even think there are any good free beaches left and barely any good free parks. You will find a crazily overpriced apartment probably with a $100. rent increase every lease renewal if not more. Hope you're credit is really good and the new job is not a good thing to a landlord. So expect 2 months security plus first months rent. Rule of thumb is if the school district is bad then so is the neighborhood. Best value for internet is optimum $45. a month free wifi everywhere enables lower data plan for your cell phone and you can use Roku to power your TV. Bayshore to Penn is $377. a month not including subway/bus costs. Figure about $450. a month round trip http://lirr42.mta.info/fares.php one hour and 15 minute travel time each way. Expect your car insurance to double and DO NOT rent a place that doesn't include heat and confirm the heat is not electric. Check zillow, backpage, mlsli, craigslist, trulia, and postlets, all are dot coms also do a property management company search and check their websites for possibilities. Also be absolutely sure you're not subletting, It never ends well. I wish you both the best but don't let your excitement of the whole NY "vibe" override the raw reality that this is a miserable and expensive place to live once the novelty wears off. Also check to make sure your new place isn't in a flood zone. Did I mention that this is the only island on earth where good seafood is invisible until your willing to pay $70.+ a plate. The ocean shores are sewage brown in color and there's not a single noteworthy college on LI. Now that I've told you all the good things you have to be here to experience the bad things. Happy Hunting!

Old 03-20-2015, 10:45 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,508,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmverbs View Post
OP You should be aware that Long Island is the 7th most racially segregated place in the country! Suffolk County is considered "country" by everyone the closer you get to the city. If you're not coming here with a huge savings account and a high paying job then welcome to the struggle where you will forever exist struggling along with all your angry neighbors! Lottery as the exit strategy? Long Island is not doing well at all. It's way overpriced and there are very few townships/villages anywhere that are not neck deep in debt. The tax burden for homeowners grows at a ridiculous rate and so do the rents. Crime is rampant, tensions are high, layoffs are abundant, Good jobs are rare and good entertainment is far and few. Your are moving to an island though so currently it's March 19th and it's snowing right now at plow levels and I don't even think there are any good free beaches left and barely any good free parks. You will find a crazily overpriced apartment probably with a $100. rent increase every lease renewal if not more. Hope you're credit is really good and the new job is not a good thing to a landlord. So expect 2 months security plus first months rent. Rule of thumb is if the school district is bad then so is the neighborhood. Best value for internet is optimum $45. a month free wifi everywhere enables lower data plan for your cell phone and you can use Roku to power your TV. Bayshore to Penn is $377. a month not including subway/bus costs. Figure about $450. a month round trip http://lirr42.mta.info/fares.php one hour and 15 minute travel time each way. Expect your car insurance to double and DO NOT rent a place that doesn't include heat and confirm the heat is not electric. Check zillow, backpage, mlsli, craigslist, trulia, and postlets, all are dot coms also do a property management company search and check their websites for possibilities. Also be absolutely sure you're not subletting, It never ends well. I wish you both the best but don't let your excitement of the whole NY "vibe" override the raw reality that this is a miserable and expensive place to live once the novelty wears off. Also check to make sure your new place isn't in a flood zone. Did I mention that this is the only island on earth where good seafood is invisible until your willing to pay $70.+ a plate. The ocean shores are sewage brown in color and there's not a single noteworthy college on LI. Now that I've told you all the good things you have to be here to experience the bad things. Happy Hunting!
Lmao. This post made me want to eat a lead salad lol! It's SO rare to find heat included in their budget, especially with the cost of oil and the fact that the OP wants to be in legal housing complex.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:45 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmverbs View Post
Save your rant. The OP is a 26 year old kid. She's coming from CA which has plenty of their own problems. We should be grateful we don't have their government problems, budget problems, and water supply problems. People should travel more and see that every area has its ups and downs. Do you think they don't have the same kind of segregation problems in SoCal? Illegal immigration problems??? She is coming from La Jolla. Ever been there? Housing prices are more expensive there. She is going to be fine here. Her only shock is that it sounds as if she has never lived anywhere with a real winter. That will be an adjustment.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:48 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,508,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Save your rant. The OP is a 26 year old kid. She's coming from CA which has plenty of their own problems. We should be grateful we don't have their government problems, budget problems, and water supply problems. People should travel more and see that every area has its ups and downs. Do you think they don't have the same kind of segregation problems in SoCal? Illegal immigration problems??? She is coming from La Jolla. Ever been there? Housing prices are more expensive there. She is going to be fine here. Her only shock is that it sounds as if she has never lived anywhere with a real winter. That will be an adjustment.
I agree. And if her hubby can get into SUNY pension system, they'll be good in a few years once he's tenured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island