Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 10:56 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post
I agree. And if her hubby can get into SUNY pension system, they'll be good in a few years once he's tenured.

Absolutely. SUNY is one of the better state college systems for employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 11:49 PM

15 posts, read 21,379 times
Thank you everyone,

I know I don't know exactly what to expect.

And everyone has an opinion.

However, we are very cheap people. We don't eat out, we shop second hand, sales or at Walmart. Our cars are 7 and 10 years old, but in very good top notch condition and we plan to drive them until they don't drive anymore. Yes, we live in La Jolla it is mostly White and Asian. The most affluent part of San Diego. But growing up I lived in the worst parts of San Diego so I'm not afraid of living in a questionable area in Long Island. My spouse is White, and I'm Hispanic-White so I never experienced racism personally in San Diego. Rent in San Diego is high too, but as some of you mentioned our weather is perfect we don't have to use an air conditioner or heater, ever. We do cheap stuff or free stuff, we stay home play board games, walk the dogs around the park, refinish second hand furniture, we are very thrifty people. I'm not saying we won't struggle, but I'm sure it will be a struggle. But I'm ready for a new adventure. And thank you for the advice about renting. We might be able to purchase a Co-Op cash with borrowed money from family. Wish us luck, and I promise I wont trash LI. A new adventure will be good for us. PS. We have not been to the beach in 10+ years and we live a mile from the beach!

Old 03-21-2015, 12:06 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,507,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbrophy2013 View Post
Thank you everyone,

However, we are very cheap people. We don't eat out, we shop second hand, sales or at Walmart. Our cars are 7 and 10 years old, but in very good top notch condition and we plan to drive them until they don't drive anymore. Yes, we live in La Jolla it is mostly White and Asian. The most affluent part of San Diego. But growing up I lived in the worst parts of San Diego so I'm not afraid of living in a questionable area in Long Island. My spouse is White, and I'm Hispanic-White so I never experienced racism personally in San Diego. Rent in San Diego is high too, but as some of you mentioned our weather is perfect we don't have to use an air conditioner or heater, ever. We do cheap stuff or free stuff, we stay home play board games, walk the dogs around the park, refinish second hand furniture, we are very thrifty people. I'm not saying we won't struggle, but I'm sure it will be a struggle. But I'm ready for a new adventure. And thank you for the advice about renting. We might be able to purchase a Co-Op cash with borrowed money from family. Wish us luck, and I promise I wont trash LI. A new adventure will be good for us. PS. We have not been to the beach in 10+ years and we live a mile from the beach!
I'm biracial, too. I really think you may like those Bayshore apartments. You'll be FINE there. Great commute, shopping downtown, right by the mall. It's great there. Every area has it's yucky spots, but you'll be fine. Oh, and if hubby gets tenured, he's going to have to decide which pension system to choose. Their are two options: TRS and NYS ERS. I heard to go for NYSERT because you make out much better. Warning...once you choose, you cannot switch! My best friend learned this the hard way.

Last edited by iluvmycuties; 03-21-2015 at 12:52 AM..

Old 03-21-2015, 12:26 AM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbrophy2013 View Post
Thank you everyone,

I've gone sailing in the bay and swimming at the beaches in San Diego and you know what? I like our beaches better even though it is a shorter season. You may like our beaches better too. The water is warmer here in the summer and it is more swimable. We have surfing too, but San Diego is much better for surfing.

It's also greener here in the summer and you may love the changing colors of the autumn leaves. You won't have far to drive to places for Fall apple and pumpkin picking. I, however, would miss the sea lions lounging on the buoys and rocks, the pelicans, and Scripps.

The best part is being young and getting to explore all of these new places before you have to settle down. Enjoy!!!

Old 03-21-2015, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I've gone sailing in the bay and swimming at the beaches in San Diego and you know what? I like our beaches better even though it is a shorter season. You may like our beaches better too. The water is warmer here in the summer and it is more swimable. We have surfing too, but San Diego is much better for surfing.

It's also greener here in the summer and you may love the changing colors of the autumn leaves. You won't have far to drive to places for Fall apple and pumpkin picking. I, however, would miss the sea lions lounging on the buoys and rocks, the pelicans, and Scripps.

The best part is being young and getting to explore all of these new places before you have to settle down. Enjoy!!!
Great post. I think because we are all LIers, we get a bit grumpy regarding taxes, etc. But there are a lot of great places to visit for free. The public library has passes for so many museums that you'd normally have to pay entrance for (USS Intrepid, Westbury Gardens, Cradle of Aviation, Etc). There's the gorgeous wineries, Montauk, Greenport and Port Jeff for day trip destinations. And the beaches here are great. Plenty of fun things to do on a shoestring budget. Plus don't forget to use Groupon for some awesome deals!

Old 03-21-2015, 01:08 AM

15 posts, read 21,379 times
Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll update this post once I move and I will give you my first impressions!

Old 03-21-2015, 06:16 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
I really appreciate your help. Bay Shore looks like our best bet right now. But I will keep looking. We have plenty of time to look. The town homes next to the train station look really nice.

I rarely comment on these kinds of posts, but PLEASE do not rent anything until you see it in person. This is really not a great area & coming from California, you might just be in shock. There are many nearby viable and pretty small villages such as Babylon which would be much more attractive to you.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 03-21-2015 at 08:23 AM..

Old 03-21-2015, 06:47 AM

592 posts, read 919,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmverbs View Post
OP You should be aware that Long Island is the 7th most racially segregated place in the country! Suffolk County is considered "country" by everyone the closer you get to the city. If you're not coming here with a huge savings account and a high paying job then welcome to the struggle where you will forever exist struggling along with all your angry neighbors! Lottery as the exit strategy? Long Island is not doing well at all. It's way overpriced and there are very few townships/villages anywhere that are not neck deep in debt. The tax burden for homeowners grows at a ridiculous rate and so do the rents. Crime is rampant, tensions are high, layoffs are abundant, Good jobs are rare and good entertainment is far and few. Your are moving to an island though so currently it's March 19th and it's snowing right now at plow levels and I don't even think there are any good free beaches left and barely any good free parks. You will find a crazily overpriced apartment probably with a $100. rent increase every lease renewal if not more. Hope you're credit is really good and the new job is not a good thing to a landlord. So expect 2 months security plus first months rent. Rule of thumb is if the school district is bad then so is the neighborhood. Best value for internet is optimum $45. a month free wifi everywhere enables lower data plan for your cell phone and you can use Roku to power your TV. Bayshore to Penn is $377. a month not including subway/bus costs. Figure about $450. a month round trip http://lirr42.mta.info/fares.php one hour and 15 minute travel time each way. Expect your car insurance to double and DO NOT rent a place that doesn't include heat and confirm the heat is not electric. Check zillow, backpage, mlsli, craigslist, trulia, and postlets, all are dot coms also do a property management company search and check their websites for possibilities. Also be absolutely sure you're not subletting, It never ends well. I wish you both the best but don't let your excitement of the whole NY "vibe" override the raw reality that this is a miserable and expensive place to live once the novelty wears off. Also check to make sure your new place isn't in a flood zone. Did I mention that this is the only island on earth where good seafood is invisible until your willing to pay $70.+ a plate. The ocean shores are sewage brown in color and there's not a single noteworthy college on LI. Now that I've told you all the good things you have to be here to experience the bad things. Happy Hunting!
Epic rant! Bravo

Old 03-21-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I really appreciate your help. Bay Shore looks like our best bet right now. But I will keep looking. We have plenty of time to look. The town homes next to the train station look really nice.

I rarely comment on these kinds of posts, but PLEASE do not rent anything until you see it in person. This is really not a great area & coming from California, you might just be in shock. There are many nearby viable and pretty small villages such as Babylon which would be much more attractive to you.
Nancy, they need a legal rental for $2,000 including utilities and washer/dryer. You won't get that in Babylon. What are you basing Bayshore not being a great area off of? The OP is biracial and from SoCal. They're used to not being in lily white areas. That area by the station is very pretty. The yucky areas are by the Brentwood border.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:31 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,905,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post
Nancy, they need a legal rental for $2,000 including utilities and washer/dryer. You won't get that in Babylon. What are you basing Bayshore not being a great area off of? The OP is biracial and from SoCal. They're used to not being in lily white areas. That area by the station is very pretty. The yucky areas are by the Brentwood border.
There's yucky places all over Bay Shore, not just near the Brentwood border. Most parts near the train tracks are very slummy with old run-down houses. The village of Bay Shore is a mix of impoverished areas, rich areas and okay areas...all about equally represented. North Bay Shore is mostly the hood. West Bay Shore and Brightwaters are nice; as well as the parts of the Village of Bay Shore south of Montauk Hwy. They redeveloped the business district on Montauk Hwy very nicely.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 03-21-2015 at 09:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island