Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 09:40 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,068 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone else has noticed this trend. This seems to be strictly a LI thing, I usually don't see it in the city or Jersey, these guys who wear shorts in the winter, and despite being the coldest winter in recent memory, I'm seeing it more than ever. Usually always white guys wearing a North Face Parka and Cargo Shorts, often with no socks, even on the coldest days I usually see it. Most common in South Shore Nassau & Lake Grove/Smithtown areas.
Yeah people can wear whatever they want and I'm certainly no fashion expert but it is annoying to see! Worse than Spandex/Uggs (at least the boots are weather appropriate)
Even News 12 reporter Jessica Borg commented on it in a report this afternoon that she saw a guy strolling around in shorts in today's snow!
Dude put on a pair of pants!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 09:54 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,989,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Wondering if anyone else has noticed this trend. This seems to be strictly a LI thing, I usually don't see it in the city or Jersey, these guys who wear shorts in the winter, and despite being the coldest winter in recent memory, I'm seeing it more than ever. Usually always white guys wearing a North Face Parka and Cargo Shorts, often with no socks, even on the coldest days I usually see it. Most common in South Shore Nassau & Lake Grove/Smithtown areas.
Yeah people can wear whatever they want and I'm certainly no fashion expert but it is annoying to see! Worse than Spandex/Uggs (at least the boots are weather appropriate)
Even News 12 reporter Jessica Borg commented on it in a report this afternoon that she saw a guy strolling around in shorts in today's snow!
My 13 year old son's friends walk around in shorts and Under Armour sweatshirts. My kid is the outcast because he--gasp-- dresses according to weather!

Old 03-20-2015, 10:15 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
My 13 year old son's friends walk around in shorts and Under Armour sweatshirts. My kid is the outcast because he--gasp-- dresses according to weather!
I know I see the kids wearing shorts too. I guess they are just following their dads?

Old 03-20-2015, 10:16 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,989,354 times
Quote:
I know I see the kids wearing shorts too. I guess they are just following their dads?
I think it's from the brain damage due to Grumman plume.

Old 03-21-2015, 05:19 AM

194 posts, read 425,402 times
Yeah, its idiotic to see guys at Costco or Home Depot in shorts when its 20 degrees and there's snow on the ground.

The few I have seen are all humongous and grossly overweight. I think it's a poor body temperature regulation thing, so these guys couldn't cool off doing a polar bear swim.

However, I must admit I have worn shorts and a jacket to and from the gym, but that's it. (Maybe you saw me? )

I don't usually do the locker room as I just toss my coat in the storage bins/lockers up front by the desk and hit the weights. Even in winter I work up a sweat and come out red faced, so wearing sweat pants and a hoodie to workout isn't for me.

Next time see if they are in workout clothes and/or in a gym parking lot.

Old 03-21-2015, 05:22 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,410,967 times
Many kids in the school where I work, both boys and girls, wear shorts all year. As one kid said...."why not..now I don't have to change for gym." I wish I could.
Some of you people need more important things to complain about.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:12 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
It's very common in Northern California . Mostly they wear those Bermuda (do they still call them that?) length tan cargo shorts with jackets . While we did not have a winter there w/ temps in the forties at the lowest , there was no real summer either . 75 degrees would be high , at least on the Coast . Perfect weather really (sigh) .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-21-2015, 06:39 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,037,516 times
20 plus years ago I went to school with kids who wore short sleeves and no jackets all winter,plus a couple who wore shorts. This is nothing new for kids. Adults however look like fools dressed that way and top it off with a backwards ball cap and flip flops with socks.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:10 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,991,727 times
It's all over.

I believe from the fine folks who also brought us droopy drawers and butt cracks.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:31 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Oh, it's not just a LI thing. Out here in the western Southern Tier, only sub-zero temps and -20 wind chills kept the boys at the college where I work from showing some leg all winter. As soon as the temps started climbing back into the 20s, the shorts and sockless sneaker fashion statements were back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island