Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 03:23 PM

50 posts, read 74,713 times

Advertisements

Nassau or Suffolk is fine
Near a train line
Semi-urbanized (apartment buildings)
Not a sanctuary city or city with an immigrant problem
Not particularly "diverse" or foreign (great neck would be perfect if it wasn't turning into Flushing)
Solid middle class
Good school district
Access to malls
Price negotiable but not insanely expensive (2 bed - $1700 or so)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 06:02 PM

What about the massapequas (north and east as well), wantagh, levittown and in suffolk anywhere in the town of smithtown?

Anyone know apartments in this area?

Old 03-21-2015, 06:30 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,321,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookoutbehindyou1992 View Post
What about the massapequas (north and east as well), wantagh, levittown and in suffolk anywhere in the town of smithtown?

Anyone know apartments in this area?
Expensive, anything S.Shore Nassau along the Babylon Line Massapequa-Bellmore, Merrick,RVC,etc is going to cost much more than your budget.
Heck I'm starting to give up ever finding a place for myself in those areas, $1300 for a 1BR is harder than finding a needle in a haystack in the middle of the woods. Basically you'll need to drive a Mercedes to live in those areas.
You may be able to in Freeport & Baldwin, but those areas have crime issues and the illegal immigrant problems too (esp Freeport). In that case, you're better off in Westbury! At least the crime & illegal problems aren't as bad as the other two though you will see guys just hanging around in summer drinking.
Smithtown is expensive, and your transportation options are worse than in Nassau. Alot of it is tied to school districts, anything decent is gonna be in an expensive area. Part of the reason prices are lower in Westbury is because our schools are low performing, mostly compromised of New Cassel students. However folks who don't have kids shouldn't be affected by this.
Most folks here in the Village have to send their kids to private school and pay school taxes, and the Carle Place schools section is you guessed it, very expensive! Even more so than Carle Place itself, because the homes in the Westbury Village section are nicer.
For what you want pricewise that kind of area on LI doesn't exist, very few middle class neighborhoods left in general, its either rich or lower income. Maybe way, way out in Suffolk (Ridge anyone?) but you better drive and be prepared to alot since everything is very spread out.
Maybe other areas in NJ would be better.
Either make some concessions or look elsewhere (other than LI)...save yourself the grief man!

Old 03-21-2015, 06:41 PM

See it isn't for me. It's for my sister who is working in Hunters Point Queens (LIC)

Old 03-21-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
See it isn't for me. It's for my sister who is working in Hunters Point Queens (LIC)
OK..well the same tips still hold. The LIRR does go right there on weekday rush hours. She could live in Queens too but the QOL could be even worse. Any LIRR train that stops in Jamaica offers a connection to Hunterspoint, and some diesels go right there (or LIC). However I would suggest an electric line with at least hourly service. At times other than rush hours, LIRR to Woodside for the 7 subway which goes there as well.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:56 PM

Thanks yeah, she has a son but will be using catholic school but would still like a safe area. She wouldn't live in Queens except for like Howard Beach and there is no inventory over there. If not LI, she might consider Westchester, Orange, or Rockland but no Jersey.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks yeah, she has a son but will be using catholic school but would still like a safe area. She wouldn't live in Queens except for like Howard Beach and there is no inventory over there. If not LI, she might consider Westchester, Orange, or Rockland but no Jersey.
Well Westbury is relatively safe (esp compared to where else you will get for that price), we just have issues with guys hanging around & drinking in front of some bodegas, but for that price ($1700) Westbury maybe the only area in Nassau she could find a place. Just avoid too far east of Post Ave (esp New Cassel).
We do have an excellent Catholic school (St.Brigid's) which is where most village residents send their kids.
Valley Stream is another possibility, dont know the area that well but there are some threads on here discussing it, could be more expensive though.
Not sure on what Catholic schools are around there. Westbury has a strong Catholic presence despite the changes through the years.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Well Westbury is relatively safe (esp compared to where else you will get for that price), we just have issues with guys hanging around & drinking in front of some bodegas, but for that price ($1700) Westbury maybe the only area in Nassau she could find a place. Just avoid too far east of Post Ave (esp New Cassel).
We do have an excellent Catholic school (St.Brigid's) which is where most village residents send their kids.
Valley Stream is another possibility, dont know the area that well but there are some threads on here discussing it, could be more expensive though.
Not sure on what Catholic schools are around there. Westbury has a strong Catholic presence despite the changes through the years.
Westbury is a sanctuary city with bad bad demographics and Valley Stream is even more "diverse" I have lived in NYC and I have been in the area by Greenacres and its the hood. Damn shame but I don't think she would be anything but miserable in those areas. Would $2k for a 2bed open up her options or should she just look in Rockland?

Old 03-21-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Westbury is a sanctuary city with bad bad demographics and Valley Stream is even more "diverse" I have lived in NYC and I have been in the area by Greenacres and its the hood. Damn shame but I don't think she would be anything but miserable in those areas. Would $2k for a 2bed open up her options or should she just look in Rockland?
It is possible she could get 2K in better areas, though finding it won't be easy. Best bets would be Bellmore, Merrick, or Seaford. Not alot of high density housing in those areas though, so the pickings will be slim.
Probably would have better luck elsewhere (off LI) though, it is expensive here, if you want "good demographics" and no illegals you have the $$ on LI.
Either you live with the Benz's or the 15 year old Honda Rice Burners...thats the way LI has become.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:55 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,447,299 times
Quote:
Nassau or Suffolk is fine
Near a train line
Semi-urbanized (apartment buildings)
Not a sanctuary city or city with an immigrant problem
Not particularly "diverse" or foreign (great neck would be perfect if it wasn't turning into Flushing)
Solid middle class
Good school district
Access to malls
Price negotiable but not insanely expensive (2 bed - $1700 or so)
Long Beach in a Two family house on the bottom part of house with flood risk is around $1,700 If you get a good deal, $1,700 is really cheap for a two bed with all the things you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island