Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 09:46 PM

26 posts, read 37,563 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move from Queens to LI, and Elmont seems like a good choice. I search in Trulia, and it seems the crime rate is low and school district is good. Is this true? Pros and Cons of living in Elmont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 04:35 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,906,869 times
Your gonna get a lot of mixed replies on this. Definitely not the hottest area in Nassau but also not the absolute worst either. Areas closer to Hempstead Tpke (Rt.24) tend to have higher crime and be much less nicer compared to areas near Dutch Broadway. However, Hempstead Tpke has the most amenities. Elmont has a good reputation among most Queens residents but a questionable reputation among Long Islanders, which i've always found interesting. It used to be a White/Italian area but now it's mixed with all ethnicities, with a slight Caribbean majority.

Pro's:
- Reasonably good public schools (the schools still DO perform well though not a top district)
- Somewhat cheaper real estate than other Nassau areas
- Belmont Race Track (if your into that)

Con's:
- Higher crime compared to other Nassau areas
- No LIRR stop

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 03-25-2015 at 04:45 AM..

Old 03-25-2015, 04:47 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Your gonna get a lot of mixed replies on this. Definitely not the hottest area in Nassau but also not the absolute worst either. Areas closer to Hempstead Tpke (Rt.24) tend to have higher crime and be much less nicer compared to areas near Dutch Broadway. However, Hempstead Tpke has the most amenities. Elmont has a good reputation among most Queens residents but a questionable reputation among Long Islanders, which i've always found interesting. It used to be a White/Italian area but now it's mixed with all ethnicities, with a slight Caribbean majority.

Pro's:
- Reasonably good public schools (the schools still DO perform well though not a top district)

Con's:
- No LIRR stop
Good post. My take - dumpier looking by the day, but it's easy to see the decline when you only see it once or twice a year.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:29 PM

690 posts, read 584,589 times
Twingles is dead on.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:59 AM

8,688 posts, read 11,076,893 times
I know someone who lives in Elmont, its not terrible by any means. Having said that, when I go to Home Depot, there is Golden Krust, White Castle, Checkers, Crown Fried Chicken, KFC, Popeyes, Kennedy Fried Chicken, etc all in one stretch that may give you the food options there if you are hungry

Old 03-26-2015, 07:42 PM

7 posts, read 14,927 times
Schools are great. Good house prices. Low taxes. East Elmont is nice and has that neighborhood feel!

Old 03-27-2015, 03:47 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,575,281 times
It's a dump. Garbage.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:07 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,233,102 times
I grew up in Elmont in the 60's and 70's and loved Elmont. I had a lot of friends and it reminded me of "Wonder Years". The schools were decent and crime is relatively low and is convenient to all. If you are of color or a minority, I think Elmont is a decent town and the price of the homes are relatively cheap for being so close to NYC. Just drive around the neighborhoods to get a feel for it. I lived in Argo Village between Elmont Road and Dutch Broadway. Also speak to current residents of the town, while scoping out the area. They are usually honest.

Downside? No charm. Not pretty.

Last edited by warren zee; 03-27-2015 at 09:17 AM..

Old 03-27-2015, 07:22 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,508,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaritoSusu2925 View Post
I'm looking to move from Queens to LI, and Elmont seems like a good choice. I search in Trulia, and it seems the crime rate is low and school district is good. Is this true? Pros and Cons of living in Elmont.
It depends on what you're looking for. Long Islanders notice the steady decline in the area, truthfully. Everything on the south shore that is close to Queens now just seems like East Queens.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:18 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,540,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post

Pro's:

Con's:
- No LIRR stop

I lived in Elmont many years... but that was many years ago. I think the reason for mixed opinions has do with with people moving to there vs people who have moved from there.

The "cons" you list are right on. Interestingly, that has always been the case. No LIRR stop is a problem if you work in the city. However, you are also close enough to drive to Queens (Flushing, for example) and take the 7 train. If you work closer to Grand Central, this is more convenient. Even without the LIRR, proximity to the city is a plus.

Cheaper real estate, probably. But that's due to the "cons"

The other "pros" I can't fully agree with. When I went to Elmont Memorial HS it was a decent school district without any serious problems. Last I heard, there were metal detectors and an armed guard in the school. Elmont was never a "pansy" kind of town, but people I knew working for the school district have told me it is nowhere near good. I guess it is all relative.

Belmont Racetrack really isn't a factor IMO (unless you are living across from the paddocks on Elmont Road). The track is in the NW corner of Elmont. Traffic is the only real issue from that. Go south on Elmont Road or West to Meacham Ave and you wouldn't know there was a track in the same town.

Parkhurst area (north of EMHS) was always considered the "better" section... don't know if that still holds.

Area by Dutch Broadway offers great access to parkways - Southern State, Belt and Cross Island. All the streets down there used to have trees... now they all seem to be cut down.

I do recall a lot of diversity in Elmont. It was like 4-5 different towns with their own feel, depending on which section you were in. With an Elmont address you could end up going to many different high schools - EMHS, Sehwanaka <sp? too lazy to look it up> - even Valley Stream North.

Again, perspective has a lot to do with it. I remember Elmont as something like Bethpage or Farmingdale is today. I go back there now and I see Queens. That holds true for much of western Nassau... the city has expanded east and suburbia pushed further as a result. For me that is a negative. I imagine someone coming from today's Queens would see Elmont as a nice bridge to suburbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island