Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 03:00 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,805,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

...and that building scores of apartments will save us. Nonsense. We need an alternative to being tethered to NYC, and a bridge to CT could very possibly be the solution.
You're wrong on the first part, right on the second. Young people need a place to live instead of in their parent's house until they're 30.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 03:09 PM

258 posts, read 454,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
I have no idea why you guys are talking about this. There was a proposal to build a bridge across LI sound in the 1970s which would have had the current Seaford-Oyster Bay Expressway extending north across the sound into Connecticut. This plan quickly died due to lack of funds and protesting among the usual tree hugging bunch.
Ain't gonna happen
It needs to happen, even just for emergency sake, because having only one escape route is terrible. Even if imminent domain needs to be broken out, it needs to happen. It wouldn't be necessary though if they use an uninhabited area to build through, there's still plenty to choose from.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:00 PM

1,340 posts, read 1,988,130 times
You're definitely right, which is why I didn't move to LI. If something happens, say in NYC , everyone on LI is done because there's no way you're getting off the island. But if the new Tappan zee bridge is at least $5 billion, do u understand how much this LI bridge would cost ?

Old 03-27-2015, 04:29 PM

258 posts, read 454,444 times
I do, but hey, we pay these giant sized taxes on everything. Put it to good use instead of filling someone else's pockets.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:16 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,578,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
You're wrong on the first part, right on the second. Young people need a place to live instead of in their parent's house until they're 30.
So they move into new apartments (the ones with sweetheart tax breaks for the developer on our dime) and pay a king's ransom in rent. Then what? Where are the jobs?

I'm seeing my son's friends moving off LI (and out of NY) to pursue their careers, as well as friends children doing the same. Once my oldest is finished with college, he's out of here, too. Building apartments is not a panacea for LI's economic woes, especially if a percentage of the targeted people for whom they're intended are leaving...aka brain drain.

A single friend in her 50's is scraping by and could never afford one of those proposed apartments. Her apartment is illegal, but it's within her budget. Most of her family is deceased or elsewhere. She values her job, and is valued by her employer, but has gone as far as she can in her career and knows that there is not much else out there which will allow her to climb further. There's also the fact that her age works against her at this point. It's not as simple as those dolts who would suggest she leave LI would like to believe.

There are plenty more people like her out there. Only a small portion of the planned revitalization type projects are going to have 'affordable' units -- what about people like my friend? They're effectively trapped -- literally and figuratively. Surrounded by water, they've a very limited market.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarot View Post
It needs to happen, even just for emergency sake, because having only one escape route is terrible.
True. The rush hour, which only represents a percentage of LIers, is bad enough. I wouldn't want entertain the thought of how bad evacuating after an emergency could be.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:23 PM

19,049 posts, read 16,856,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarot View Post
It needs to happen, even just for emergency sake, because having only one escape route is terrible. Even if imminent domain needs to be broken out, it needs to happen. It wouldn't be necessary though if they use an uninhabited area to build through, there's still plenty to choose from.
There are currently 4 bridges to the mainland (1 via Staten Island which is close enough) , 4 bridges and a tunnel to Manhattan, 2 ferry's to Connecticut. I would say there is more than one escape route. Imminent domain wasn't meant for a convenience boondoggle.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:57 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,805,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
So they move into new apartments (the ones with sweetheart tax breaks for the developer on our dime) and pay a king's ransom in rent. Then what? Where are the jobs?

I'm seeing my son's friends moving off LI (and out of NY) to pursue their careers, as well as friends children doing the same. Once my oldest is finished with college, he's out of here, too. Building apartments is not a panacea for LI's economic woes, especially if a percentage of the targeted people for whom they're intended are leaving...aka brain drain.

A single friend in her 50's is scraping by and could never afford one of those proposed apartments. Her apartment is illegal, but it's within her budget. Most of her family is deceased or elsewhere. She values her job, and is valued by her employer, but has gone as far as she can in her career and knows that there is not much else out there which will allow her to climb further. There's also the fact that her age works against her at this point. It's not as simple as those dolts who would suggest she leave LI would like to believe.

There are plenty more people like her out there. Only a small portion of the planned revitalization type projects are going to have 'affordable' units -- what about people like my friend? They're effectively trapped -- literally and figuratively. Surrounded by water, they've a very limited market.
Well, like anywhere else, LI apartment prices are based on supply and demand. There is a high demand and little supply so prices are high. Either municipalities allow larger apartment complexes to build up supply and drop prices, or things continue the way the are going. More apartments would benefit both young and old.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
There are currently 4 bridges to the mainland (1 via Staten Island which is close enough) , 4 bridges and a tunnel to Manhattan, 2 ferry's to Connecticut. I would say there is more than one escape route. Imminent domain wasn't meant for a convenience boondoggle.
If something crazy happened -- let's say the Whitestone Bridge collapsed due to decay -- can you imagine what a boondoggle everyday commuting would be?

As for eminent domain, the government has gone after more property for projects which wouldn't benefit the majority of the taxpayers.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Well, like anywhere else, LI apartment prices are based on supply and demand. There is a high demand and little supply so prices are high. Either municipalities allow larger apartment complexes to build up supply and drop prices, or things continue the way the are going. More apartments would benefit both young and old.
Only if they're affordable. Young people who stay behind and live with mom and pop until they're 30 are doing so because other housing options (including these proposed apartments) are unaffordable. Building larger apartment complexes doesn't help when large employers are continuously leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island