Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2015, 06:00 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,327,240 times

Advertisements

I have got to say I really am appreciating the partnership between N.Hempstead Town and the Village of Westbury on this. I wish them luck..the bleeding hearts will start whining soon enough though, but its time to take out the trash for good!

North Hempstead and Westbury team up to fight illegal housing - Newsday

http://longisland.news12.com/multime...mes-1.10142121
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 07:08 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,510,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I have got to say I really am appreciating the partnership between N.Hempstead Town and the Village of Westbury on this. I wish them luck..the bleeding hearts will start whining soon enough though, but its time to take out the trash for good!

North Hempstead and Westbury team up to fight illegal housing - Newsday

Westbury, N. Hempstead partner to combat ‘illegal homes’ - News 12 Long Island

John, what does town/village do once they find the rental to be illegal? Do they shut it down straight away?

We've got the same prob with illegals renting in legal apartment buildings in Port Jeff. One legal person goes on the lease, and then they pack them in and rotate. My friend is a single mom who pays $1600 for her one bedroom apartment for herself and her child. Many of the apartments in her complex are having that same rent split up by 10-16 people in EACH apartment.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:23 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,327,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post
John, what does town/village do once they find the rental to be illegal? Do they shut it down straight away?

We've got the same prob with illegals renting in legal apartment buildings in Port Jeff. One legal person goes on the lease, and then they pack them in and rotate. My friend is a single mom who pays $1600 for her one bedroom apartment for herself and her child. Many of the apartments in her complex are having that same rent split up by 10-16 people in EACH apartment.
That's another way they can get in, landlords have to protect themselves and make sure that the renter isn't turning around and then renting to other people.
Not sure exactly what they do but I assume the owner winds up in court and gets his property padlocked.
That has to be incredibly irritating for your friend who must be miserable, certainly wouldn't feel safe there and I'm sure they blast music & get into fights every night.
Has she reported it to the town (or Village if she is in PJV)?

Old 03-27-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
That's another way they can get in, landlords have to protect themselves and make sure that the renter isn't turning around and then renting to other people.
Not sure exactly what they do but I assume the owner winds up in court and gets his property padlocked.
That has to be incredibly irritating for your friend who must be miserable, certainly wouldn't feel safe there and I'm sure they blast music & get into fights every night.
Has she reported it to the town (or Village if she is in PJV)?
Definitely. She works two jobs to stay there, and these guys are paying $100-$150 a month each?? PJV told her to talk to Suffolk PD. They told her to talk to Brookhaven. So far, nothing. Landlord found out she caused a stink and told her verbally that he may not renew her lease if she keeps stirring the pot. This guy owns several developments across Nassau/Suffolk. He doesn't care. Just keep the rent roll coming in, right?

Old 03-28-2015, 02:34 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,211,528 times
Just now saw the story on News12 & figured you would post about it John!

Look at it this way. Even though I know what you are talking about when it comes to Westbury this problem is more widespread than just talking about illegal apartments not the illegal "residents" itself.

I know you have mentioned in the past that you have tried to move out of Westbury. You could have easily have done that if the program that you are on did not require any apt. that you move to be "legal". That says it all. There are no decent legal apts that the program you are on can move you to on LI...because they don't exist at a price that is affordable for most people.

Just about ALL apts. on LI that are decently priced are ALL illegal. Even the ones that just look legal. The problem will never truly go away as there are no decent affordable rentals on LI. All the legal places are complexes with amenities like a pool or gym that are priced much,much higher than the illegal apts. that most people end up taking after long,long time of searching. Then you move into an illegal apt. & no one is happy...either you or the LL. You end up living under someone else's roof & they find they don't like your lifestyle & make most of their tenants miserable...even though those tenants are paying the LL rent so they can KEEP their house.

We all see how many people come on here to complain about this problem on LI. This story is just to stir up the pot. Just like you have problem finding housing many more people that work hard have the same problem.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:43 AM

To put this problem more into perspective John you are talking about 2 different things here really. Even though you feel if they take care of the illegal housing in Westbury it will rid the town of Westbury as a whole of illegals. Thus making living there (since you can't just move) better for you.

If every house that has the "illegals" are cracked down on all over LI (not just Westbury) what do you think will happen then?

The word "illegal" is being used in 2 ways here. There is "illegal housing" & illegal residents". What you really want is to get rid of the illegal residents..not the illegal housing? Am I right? Because if you wanted to get rid of illegal housing on LI (not just Westbury)...all H*** would break loose on LI! Your post & story they ran on News12 pertains only to Westbury though.But if they tried (they have before) to crack down on all illegal housing on LI forget about it.

I do agree with one thing the people that buy homes just to split it up & rent rooms to people to make more $..now that should be stopped. Something along the lines of the way property taxes are calculated might help. Like in Floirda they have the Homestead act. If the home you buy in not YOUR primary residence in Florida your taxes are a lot higher no matter who you rent it to. Houses that have multiple tenants that are not family are crazy.

This same problem exists in so many other areas but not with illegals like you do in Westbury. Like around Stony Brook University. There are homes there that a homeowner is absentee...but they know the deal when they see the $ they can bring in by renting rooms to individual students by renting rooms instead of just renting to 1 family. My friend has a house in SC near Furman University. They rented it out to a young couple while they lived up here in NY as absentee landlords! Only they have many friends still there. Well this young couple rented the house with NO problems for many years. A few years back they got a call from a friend that still lives down there & drives by the home to check on things every so often.

Low & behold the couple moved out continuing to sign lease to rent with them. Yet they rented the house out to students at the local college! The home was completely destroyed.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:52 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,897,251 times
They can have illegals in Westbury but not illegal housing? How does that work?

Old 03-28-2015, 08:16 AM

5,295 posts, read 4,779,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Yep. Sad right? Unfortunately there is little the village can do (as well as any other local jurisdiction for that matter) about the illegal aliens themselves.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
They are focusing on ridding "the illegal" rentals in Westubry. Residents there hope that will in turn force the illegal" residents out. The illegals are in Westbury are probably all renting rooms in these homes that are bought by landlord just to rent out the rooms. Horrible living conditions. Sadly people turn to renting rooms because apt rentals on LI are costly. Rooms are cheaper to rent.

Illegals are like many low income residents & can afford the bare minimum. Renting a room in a home many times ends up being their only option here on LI.

Where will all the illegals go if they are forced out of their illegal rooms? They can't afford or even get a legal apt. which is why they are easy prey & end up living in a manner no one wants to live. That is the case not with just illegals really but anyone with a low budget for housing on LI.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
They are focusing on ridding "the illegal" rentals in Westubry. Residents there hope that will in turn force the illegal" residents out. The illegals are in Westbury are probably all renting rooms in these homes that are bought by landlord just to rent out the rooms. Horrible living conditions. Sadly people turn to renting rooms because apt rentals on LI are costly. Rooms are cheaper to rent.

Illegals are like many low income residents & can afford the bare minimum. Renting a room in a home many times ends up being their only option here on LI.

Where will all the illegals go if they are forced out of their illegal rooms? They can't afford or even get a legal apt. which is why they are easy prey & end up living in a manner no one wants to live. That is the case not with just illegals really but anyone with a low budget for housing on LI.

This isn't a sad, LI heartbreak story of the shortage of affordable housing on LI. You're missing the point that a lot of these illegal residents aren't just renting rooms, they're packing in like sardines on cots, rotating in shifts. That's slum housing. And they're doing it to save up as much cash as they can. Meanwhile, you have families killing themselves to make the same rent. Illegals aren't easy prey for this. They choose to enter/stay illegally and live like this. As an American you are saying that it's a manner in which no one wants to live. But I disagree and say it's a manner in which they're very accustomed to living before they even got here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island