Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 12:40 PM

115 posts, read 134,038 times

Advertisements

Keep reading negative things about smart meters - I recall when national grid first took over and they bullied the 90 year old neighbor telling them if she didn't let them change her meter they would shut her off - had to call the headquarters emergency hotline for her and the goons sitting in their truck in the front of her house got called back. Hopefully fired.

Say NO to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 12:43 PM

Say NO to

Old 03-31-2015, 12:44 PM

Trying to post a link that doesn't want to post

Say NO to

Say NO to

Old 03-31-2015, 12:57 PM

122 posts, read 267,018 times
I asked the same question, I may have them do this and if I do will report back.

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...yone-have.html

Old 03-31-2015, 02:08 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
I think the folks in the link are just mad because California has rolling black outs/brown outs due to a lack of electricity. Unless they have corrected their laws no one wants to sell to them because of the locked in low price compounded by a lack of generating capability.

We have remote meters for water/gas/electricity where I live and never have an issue.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:04 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatingforabuck View Post
Keep reading negative things about smart meters - I recall when national grid first took over and they bullied the 90 year old neighbor telling them if she didn't let them change her meter they would shut her off - had to call the headquarters emergency hotline for her and the goons sitting in their truck in the front of her house got called back. Hopefully fired.

Say NO to
Couldn't get the link in your post to load. What's the negative on "smart" meters? These are the ones that allow the utility to read the meter remotely from the street, right?

I just let them put one in my house. They always left the gate open and my dogs end up getting out. They are likely to get bit barging in unannounced like that. Not to mention that I have a pool and a propped open gate is dangerous.

I figured being able to keep them out of my yard was a good thing.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:57 PM

Try stopsmartmetersnow.com that is supposed to be the link but for some reason it isn't posting

Old 04-08-2015, 05:08 PM

20 posts, read 24,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
Couldn't get the link in your post to load. What's the negative on "smart" meters? These are the ones that allow the utility to read the meter remotely from the street, right?

I just let them put one in my house. They always left the gate open and my dogs end up getting out. They are likely to get bit barging in unannounced like that. Not to mention that I have a pool and a propped open gate is dangerous.

I figured being able to keep them out of my yard was a good thing.
Aside from the unknown health issues of having constant impulses of radiation pulsing through every electrical outlet in your home over the long term?

People have complained the electric company automatically lowers the temperature or raises the temperature of your appliances if it senses you are not home. People have complained they came home to spoiled food from the refrigerator temperature being turned down so low, dead plants, dead fish, pets suffering from heat exhausting because their AC was turned down or turned off and so and so forth. You are giving up control of your settings to the electric company that will claim it is trying to stave off brown outs by conserving electricity. Same thing in winter if you have electric heat. Pretty negative stuff like that.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:59 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
^ how can a meter control appliances like that? From a power perspective, it's either on or off as far as the appliance is concerned. Like a boiler or AC controlled at the thermostat. I don't get this turned down stuff. I understand being completely off due to a forced outage.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:10 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
^ how can a meter control appliances like that? From a power perspective, it's either on or off as far as the appliance is concerned. I don't get this turned down stuff. I understand being completely off due to a forced outage.

The electric utilities here have a program which can remotely shut off your air conditioner remotely, for short periods of time, during times of peak usage.

Air Conditioning Program | BGE PeakRewards

A lot of states have mandated Smart Meters legislatively. Here, you can opt out but have a monthly surcharge ($50, I think) to have your meter read manually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island