Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 07:48 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,889,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post
It's not hard for me. I'm working with the numbers you gave me. They're not my numbers. You asked required. I gave them. And I don't think that with your numbers and your daycare costs that you are saving. It looked like you're able to have about a little over $300/month to go towards savings/college/IRA/extras? I also find it hard to believe you're at $450/month for four people in groceries. Unless they're babies. In which case, those costs do rise. Same with electric. And yours may need braces. And wait until you're taxiing them to sports/sleepovers.
The $125k is hypothetical and doesn't apply to us. What I was saying is that even with that number we could put away some of it given our expenses. Throw in a daycare cost (again temporary) of $2k for those who need it, adding to my $1600 and it's still under $4k. Once daycare is gone, you can save even more (huge relief regardless of income).

We do spend only $450/mo. shopping for food but my kids are under 10. I fully expect it to rise, but then so would your salary after those years. Electric going up $100, no big deal. We already do 4 sports so the costs when time limits them to fewer will still be about the same. Even so, it's not required.

Did anyone even verify if $125k gross comes out to about $7k/mo. net? It's very possible it's more and you don't have to have a $3k mortgage either. The avg looks closer to $2k so far on the poll.

Last edited by ovi8; 04-03-2015 at 07:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 07:52 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,051,813 times
Again, this further proves my point, that everybody defines middle class differently.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:57 PM

283 posts, read 581,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
I think people are overestimating these annual figures, especially when you convert it to monthly amounts even with taxes taken out. Wage and Salary Conversion Calculator

$150k is $12,500 per month gross. After fed/state taxes (some even going to retirement funds), say $8k is left , mortgage at $3k, leaving $5k to spend a month. You have groceries, utilities, etc. I don't think adding internet, tv, and eating out once or twice a week is going to cut into that figure much at all.

Even at $125k annual, $10.4k per month gross, you have maybe $7k left after fed/state taxes, mortgage of $3k, leaving $4k to spend a month.

Unless you have student loans and other debt like a large car lease, it's not hard to do it on $125k. Am I missing any large monthly payments?

Think it completely depends on the area. With 2 working parents in my neighborhood, I say you need 200k annually to be MC. Property taxes are now over 1,000 a month for my postage stamp lot. 2 working parents need full time summer camp, if you need 8-6 pm with a bus that will cost you thousands JUST for the summer. During the school year you are paying before and after care. Our grocery bills are 600 a month, minimum. Many people have skyrocketing Health insurance premiums and deductibles that take a big chunk out of the budget. Most people also have 1-2 car leases/ payments

If one parent is home with kids, or has grandparents babysitting for free, could be comfortable on less than the 200k I stated earlier.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:57 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,509,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
The $125k is hypothetical and doesn't apply to us. What I was saying is that even with that number we could put away some of it given our expenses. Throw in a daycare cost (again temporary) of $2k for those who need it, adding to my $1600 and it's still under $4k. Once daycare is gone, you can save even more (huge relief regardless of income).

We do spend only $450/mo. shopping for food but my kids are under 10. I fully expect it to rise, but then so would your salary after those years. Electric going up $100, no big deal. We already do 4 sports so the costs when time limits them to fewer will still be about the same. Even so, it's not required.

Did anyone even verify if $125k gross comes out to about $7k/mo. net? It's very possible it's more and you don't have to have a $3k mortgage either.

Ok, I'm following you.

I think if you have a stay at home parent and two kids, your theory can work. Because I just don't think that, even with your numbers inserted, it's allowing for anything other than surviving. It leaves no room for savings and auto repairs or purchase. Salaries don't increase as fast as the utilities/child costs do.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Again, this further proves my point, that everybody defines middle class differently.
I think that's where the upper mc and lower mc apply...but how do you define them lol??

Old 04-03-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommyq View Post
Think it completely depends on the area. With 2 working parents in my neighborhood, I say you need 200k annually to be MC. Property taxes are now over 1,000 a month for my postage stamp lot. 2 working parents need full time summer camp, if you need 8-6 pm with a bus that will cost you thousands JUST for the summer. During the school year you are paying before and after care. Our grocery bills are 600 a month, minimum. Many people have skyrocketing Health insurance premiums and deductibles that take a big chunk out of the budget. Most people also have 1-2 car leases/ payments

If one parent is home with kids, or has grandparents babysitting for free, could be comfortable on less than the 200k I stated earlier.
I tend to agree with your figures.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:01 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,236,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I heard on the radio today that in order to live a middle class lifestyle in Suffolk County, you need an annual income of $88,000, and in order to live a middle class lifestyle in Nassau County, you need an annual income of $98,000. Based on that, I can live a middle class lifestyle in Suffolk County but not in Nassau County.

My question is: does anybody know how they define "middle class lifestyle"? Everybody on this forum seems to have a different definition, so I'm just wondering if there is any official definition.
$88,000 or $98,000 is far from middle class on Long Island. I lived on Long Island most of my life and in 2004 I bought a home in Stony Brook. I was earning $130,000 and was priced out. Our taxes were $20,000. Dream on. There are more reasonable states than NY. Don't get caught up in "NY is the only place to live." We moved to NE Ohio and for under $200,000, you can live the "life of Riley". I really wished we moved to Ohio back in 2004. We could have bought our home for cash and still have $150,000 left.

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 04-05-2015 at 12:32 PM..

Old 04-03-2015, 09:20 PM

126 posts, read 222,164 times
All the people here who describe "middle class" as not having to worry about bills - I've always thought that described "affluent". To me middle class is being able to pay your bills, and possibly own your home, as well as having some time during the year for leisure. I do think that $88K seems a trifle low when you take housing costs, property taxes and electric costs into account. With roughly $36K going to PITI, another roughly $25K to state and federal taxes, that would leave about $2,250/month for everything else: auto, utilities, commuting costs, food, medical, dental, insurance. My utilities are huge on Long Island, running around $5K in the last 12 months not including phone or internet. Which would leave me about $1,800/month for everything else. My medical insurance for a family of 4 is quite low at $700/month, so now I would have a little less than $1,100 for groceries, commuting, car, etc. My car is 8 years old, my husband's is 11, and insuring those 2 cars is roughly $250/month, so now we are down to $850 for groceries, commuting, and any other purchases we might need. That would leave pretty much nothing for savings, so we would end up financing the next car , leaving roughly $450 for groceries, commuting and any other purchases we would need. We both have cell phones but not a data plan, but that would cut into that $450 leaving less than $400/month for a family of 4 to eat.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:57 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,773,992 times
Quote:

I think personal situations can wildly vary on this, like not everyone had high health insurance premiums (or any at all), not everyone needs aftercare etc. it certainly can add up if you do have all of those expenses though. Still I think 200k is high balling it for simply 'middle class' on LI, for most I think 200k is more around where you can start to live pretty comfortably. But there are so many different situations your mileage may vary.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:58 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
2 working parents need full time summer camp, if you need 8-6 pm with a bus that will cost you thousands JUST for the summer. During the school year you are paying before and after care. .
ovi8 works at home so I'm curious what he does for before/after care and summers or is he able to just keep them home with him. Those are very large expenses (especially summer vacation care).

I think that for people our age who have been established for a while etc, it can be doable. Property taxes are the killer. It's the coming generation that has a huge burden on them - $100K is a 20% down payment for a pretty much crappy house and a crappy commute for a decent paying job and even then your housing expense isn't going to be fixed every year because of taxes. For us it was going to be a race against time to get our youngest out of HS before our taxes became completely unmanageable. Said child is finishing up 5th grade and taxes on our old house are $15K. No way could we afford to pay $20K a year in taxes, I will freely admit it - and that's where they will be in another 7 years when she's a senior.
All the SAHMs on my old block have gone back to work, just to pay the differential on their mortgage caused by the huge jump in taxes since they bought their home. One of my friends here has a friend on LI whose taxes went to $28K this year and the woman is scrambling to find a job (she hasn't worked in at least 20 years) to help pay the offset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island