Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2016, 10:59 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,041,107 times

Advertisements

Personally I think the real issue is the gas blowers. The mowers are not nearly as obnoxious. I think they should be limited in use to neighborhoods that have much larger properties. They make very capable electrics, cordless or otherwise, that would do the job. Or make them use a broom and pick up the debris like most homeowners do. They certainly have the manpower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 11:18 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,223,723 times
Ridiculous. Do folks stop into your places of work and tell you how to make the fries or how to empty the trash? No? Then why are you all here with suggestions on how to be a better landscaper? It's a BUSINESS. They're in it to make money, not do charity work that's appeasing to everyone. Electric blowers? Right, now they have to search for an outlet and likely have someone **** & moan about them using their electric. Cordless? Great. Batteries dead after 1 yard (oops, make that half a yard if you want to limit them to areas with only huge yards!), let's just sit around and wait for it to recharge. Nevermind the fact that I have an entire crew that I'm paying, we'll wait. Gas powertools are cheap, virtually maintenance free and extremely easy to fix if and when something goes wrong. If the 20 minutes of "noise" bothers you so much that you can't just tune it out temporarily, maybe you should consider moving to the desert where there's no grass to worry about the maintenance on. What's next? Complaints about street sweepers? Garbage trucks? Christ, anyone who's complaining about this should go join those folks in the aircraft noise thread.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:22 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,410,057 times
Uh oh....Transplant......be prepared for the angry mob that will be at your door with torches and pitchforks over this post.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
Uh oh....Transplant......be prepared for the angry mob that will be at your door with torches and pitchforks over this post.
Good, I have some weeds that need burning and a garden that needs ho'ing. Plus, it'll be quiet!

Old 08-23-2016, 12:36 PM

TransplantedFloridian,

A home should be a respite from the rigors of the workday. Not someplace where industrial strength equipment is being used everyday. It's one thing if a homeowner has to have a tree removed or some other construction work done. That's not an everyday occurrence. Where I live there are 8 plots of 60x100 surrounding me. During the lawn season that can be a lot of noise spread out over the week. Businesses make considerations for neighborhoods all the time. That's why we have zoning. Seems landscapers can do whatever they see as necessary to do their business without any compromise for the neighborhood itself. Personally I think your stance is RIDICULOUS!!!

Old 08-23-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
TransplantedFloridian,

A home should be a respite from the rigors of the workday. Not someplace where industrial strength equipment is being used everyday. It's one thing if a homeowner has to have a tree removed or some other construction work done. That's not an everyday occurrence. Where I live there are 8 plots of 60x100 surrounding me. During the lawn season that can be a lot of noise spread out over the week. Businesses make considerations for neighborhoods all the time. That's why we have zoning. Seems landscapers can do whatever they see as necessary to do their business without any compromise for the neighborhood itself. Personally I think your stance is RIDICULOUS!!!
Lol.....classic...and your lawn equipment is silent Ralphie? My "boys" just left. Cut,edge and blow in under 15 minutes. Saturday when Peter Pennypincher next door cuts his he will be making noise for two hours especially when he breaks out his high pitched whining electric blower for 30 minutes.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
TransplantedFloridian,

...and a home also requires maintenance, likely required by your zoning. If you can figure out a way to do this efficiently and quietly while still turning a profit, I'm sure the landscapers would be all ears. Do you have a "Stay off my lawn!" sign? I bet you have a "Stay off my lawn!" sign.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:06 AM

First of all, OTG, only my mother calls me Ralphie!!! My lawn equipment is silent. I have a landscaper! I ask him not to show up on Fridays as that is one of my off days.

I'm just saying for me it's the blowers that are the issue. Maybe it's my hearing that that has an issue with their noise frequency. I don't know for sure but to me the blowers are the loudest piece of equipment they use and it would be better if there was another solution. I much prefer the sound of an electric blower/vac over a gas blower anyday. I did not purchase a house expecting to put up with as much noise as I do now. I've been living here in the same house since 1990 and the number of homes using landscapers has vastly increased as well as the use of gas powered blowers and such by homeowners. It IS becoming an issue and I hope that someday a solution is found.

TF - I don't have any stay off my lawn signs. I don't even know how that applies to my issue with noise. Please avoid my posts. Thank you very much.

Done. Thanks for listening.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:20 PM

quote:{I have a landscaper! I ask him not to show up on Fridays as that is one of my off days.}:quote

Lol....*********r neighbors let them hear the noise.

Do you **** and moan about noisy garbage trucks too.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:57 PM

411 posts, read 288,904 times
Old thread, but I'm reviving...

As loud as the commercial landscape crews are, I almost wish one of my neighbors used landscapers instead of doing his himself...at least that would only be once a week.

This man is retired and mentally ill. From October through February he will use his commercial grade backpack gas leaf blower to blow his entire property of leaves every_single_day...its about an hour to an hour and a half process. Let me repeat that...every single day for 5 months (and then sporadically the rest of the year too). We are adjacent to woods so he can just blow them in. There can be 7 new leaves on the lawn, but he will do the entire yard like some kind of ritual. Nevermind it would be faster, and more beneficial for the lawn, to mulch them into the lawn with the mower every so often. And when I say "every day", I don't mean it like an expression, I literally mean it (only exceptions are days of heavy rain and if he goes away for a few days). Heavy snow cover will stop him too, but once it partially melts, he is at it again. In the fall, I clean my leaves once per week, and I still got yelled at to better maintain my property.

I do my own lawn work...and do own a gas blower...but use it maybe 5 -7 times per year, tops, and for brief durations. Often it is easier to sweep or rake...and I enjoy the fresh air and hearing the birds chirp.

This neighbor's home is only about 15 feet from mine and I worry about the air pollution from the DAILY use of this machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island