Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 05:06 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
From the complete list of schools that accepted him it looks like Stony Brook was his "safe" school. What I haven't seen addressed (except by one poster who gave no citation) is if there were any schools that sent him the thin envelope. If so, I wonder if they are second guessing their admissions policies.

On a side note, how much did all these applications cost and are there programs to have application fees waived?
Yes schools have fee waivers if it's a financial hardship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 05:09 AM

703 posts, read 1,174,256 times
Quote:
From the complete list of schools that accepted him it looks like Stony Brook was his "safe" school. What I haven't seen addressed (except by one poster who gave no citation) is if there were any schools that sent him the thin envelope. If so, I wonder if they are second guessing their admissions policies.

On a side note, how much did all these applications cost and are there programs to have application fees waived?
Why would they second guess their admissions policies? Part of the process is accepting kids who are likely to enroll.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:22 AM

33 posts, read 39,708 times
CORRECTION: I spoke of MIT as Ivy which is a mistake though it is considered a top tier school. The Ivy schools are Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth, University of Pennsylvania, Brown, Princeton, Columbia, and Cornell. Sleep deprivation does not mix well with public posting. I appreciate your courtesy in allowing me to self-correct.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:14 AM

626 posts, read 903,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
What was the reaction when Newsday wrote the article about the white kid or the Asian kid getting in all 8 Ivies? You could compare the two reactions and then decide if you perceive racism.

People frequently note that those who play the race card or falsely cry racism to stifle discussion on benign topics are racists themselves. What do you think?

I think that YOU ARE A RACIST!!!

Old 04-08-2015, 12:13 PM

5,057 posts, read 3,957,808 times
Quote:

I was thinking the same thing regarding costs of applying - it must get very expensive to send out 10-15 applications. I have heard that students apply to more schools now than they used to - back in my day it was a long shot school, a couple of reasonable favorites and a safe school.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:20 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,450,810 times
even if it got the applications for free, he wasted all the schools time he was not going to attend and messed with 7 other kids who would of got in but now gets wait listed while this guy decides

Old 04-08-2015, 07:36 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,644,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
I was thinking the same thing regarding costs of applying - it must get very expensive to send out 10-15 applications. I have heard that students apply to more schools now than they used to - back in my day it was a long shot school, a couple of reasonable favorites and a safe school.
Back in 2008 when my son was applying to colleges, his guidance counselor said that students were submitting 25 to 30 applications. I couldn't believe it at the time. Imagine applying to that many colleges. To me that sounds ridiculous, but it appears to be true. We kept our son to 10, and felt that to be excessive. (A few apps were freebies, such as Union College.)

The result of that avalanche in applications, is that the admissions officers probably find themselves buried under a mountain of applications, and end up spending 2 minutes per app, and possibly mixing up great students with so-so students. Imagine being a student who's got a stellar application, but is sloughed over because of lack of time for a thorough read through.

The only positive I can think of is that a large increase in the number of applications makes the college/university look more desirable to other students, and therefore the percentage of acceptances will decrease making the schools tougher to get into, and therefore boosts the school's reputation.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:53 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Heard on the new this morning another student from a high school in Indianapolis also got accepted to all 8 Ivy League schools. I guess having a story does make a difference "Stefan Stoykov, 18, is living the American dream. He came to Indiana from Bulgaria when he was only 8" Ref: Local student accepted to all 8 Ivy League schools - TheIndyChannel.com

Old 04-09-2015, 10:53 AM

5,057 posts, read 3,957,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Heard on the new this morning another student from a high school in Indianapolis also got accepted to all 8 Ivy League schools. I guess having a story does make a difference "Stefan Stoykov, 18, is living the American dream. He came to Indiana from Bulgaria when he was only 8" Ref: Local student accepted to all 8 Ivy League schools - TheIndyChannel.com
Wow, another immigrant young man - this one with perfect SATs - accepted to all 8. Sounds like he was accepted at 26 colleges. Still amazed at all these applications!

Old 04-09-2015, 11:42 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,450,810 times
Unless someone did this without having to study it is not that amazing. I worked with a college valedictorian from a very large college. Basically, she did not sleep at all for four years straight. Maybe four hours a night.

Another time I was at a college graduation. And was very impressed. A kid who worked full time 40 hours a week and volunteered 20 hours a week had a perfect 4.0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island