Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 11:01 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post
Because, in my opinion, the Bellmore of today looks like the Rosedale of yesterday. The block I grew up on has literally three oak trees left because it's become more citified. There are more and more illegal apartment rentals, so some of the streets look like Queens at night, where you're looking for a parking space in front of your own home. Taxes went up, yet schools shut down.
Well I would much rather be in Bellmore than Westbury!
Yeah its more crowded than it was years ago, but so are most other parts of LI as well. Still compared to Westbury, Bellmore looks pretty darn good. Good reliable train service, decent schools and very safe, no problems with vagrants. If there are illegal apts they are not rooming houses for illegals like in Westbury.
The only changes I have noticed in Bellmore is more rich people, used to be more middle class years ago now it seems more upper-middle class, which is why I am having a problem trying to find a place to live there.
Now when I was growing up we had our car mechanic in Westbury, at Harry's gas station where that "Piazza" is now at Post & Maple. Back then Westbury was a middle to upper middle class town, heck I remember going to the street fair on Post Ave back then it was the best one on the island, now it looks more like something I'd see in the Bronx.
Hempstead has always been shady at least in my lifetime, it was in serious decline when A&S was there in its final years. But it is so much worse now, still makes Westbury look like Garden City!
I do hate when people cut down trees, you should see what they did along S.Oyster Bay road, speaking of looking like Rosedale....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 11:48 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,508,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Well I would much rather be in Bellmore than Westbury!
Yeah its more crowded than it was years ago, but so are most other parts of LI as well. Still compared to Westbury, Bellmore looks pretty darn good. Good reliable train service, decent schools and very safe, no problems with vagrants. If there are illegal apts they are not rooming houses for illegals like in Westbury.
The only changes I have noticed in Bellmore is more rich people, used to be more middle class years ago now it seems more upper-middle class, which is why I am having a problem trying to find a place to live there.
Now when I was growing up we had our car mechanic in Westbury, at Harry's gas station where that "Piazza" is now at Post & Maple. Back then Westbury was a middle to upper middle class town, heck I remember going to the street fair on Post Ave back then it was the best one on the island, now it looks more like something I'd see in the Bronx.
Hempstead has always been shady at least in my lifetime, it was in serious decline when A&S was there in its final years. But it is so much worse now, still makes Westbury look like Garden City!
I do hate when people cut down trees, you should see what they did along S.Oyster Bay road, speaking of looking like Rosedale....

Lol, yes, I agree. Bellmore over Westbury. But the OP was asking for our personal opinions from our experience. Idk if I see more wealth in Bellmore. I see more dormers on original homes. The housing off Beltagh Ave on the west side of Bellmore has really dropped in price. I guess it's still a great town for people who are coming out from the city. But to me, it's just way too different. If you go to Seaford, Wantagh, Massapequa, I feel like they've maintained it more? Still has that bedroom community feel to it? Maybe because the trees are still there? Idk.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:03 AM

481 posts, read 665,904 times
I don't grow up here. But I do agree a lot of time because people grew up here, it's hard for them to move to another state. My husband grew up in Mineola. All his family and friends are around here. I have no problem moving to another state. I believe our income just look good but isn't really good for us to own a ok size house on LI (our house is like 1400 sq ft, tiny).

Old 04-08-2015, 10:24 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,196 times
Quote:
Lol, yes, I agree. Bellmore over Westbury. But the OP was asking for our personal opinions from our experience. Idk if I see more wealth in Bellmore. I see more dormers on original homes. The housing off Beltagh Ave on the west side of Bellmore has really dropped in price. I guess it's still a great town for people who are coming out from the city. But to me, it's just way too different. If you go to Seaford, Wantagh, Massapequa, I feel like they've maintained it more? Still has that bedroom community feel to it? Maybe because the trees are still there? Idk.
There is nothing wrong with Bellmore at all. That being said I did for live for a year on Beltagh just east of Bellmore Ave. I say only a year because honestly it sucked for me. Nothing really close there within walking distance at all.Shady people were always walking around at all hours. That was from 2006-07. Just small useless places. Now I have lived in Bellmore on & off from 89 until now. I would not live anywhere else on LI & love it here. Guess maybe I am lucky because of location I am in. North Bellmore right now is very different from parts of Bellmore south of Sunrise Hwy. Never have any problems & I do everything in Bellmore. Hardly ever really venture out of the area for any services at all. As for illegal apts. That is a problem all over LI. Try driving the side streets in Franklin Square. All the cars on the street there truly give insight to how many illegal apts are there. The housing in NB is very different than south of Sunrise. At night there are many shady people it seems hanging out on the streets in areas of NB. Like around Newbridge Rd area. Not illegal apts at all in my area of Bellmore..but around train station & north there are plenty.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
There is nothing wrong with Bellmore at all. That being said I did for live for a year on Beltagh just east of Bellmore Ave. I say only a year because honestly it sucked for me. Nothing really close there within walking distance at all.Shady people were always walking around at all hours. That was from 2006-07. Just small useless places. Now I have lived in Bellmore on & off from 89 until now. I would not live anywhere else on LI & love it here. Guess maybe I am lucky because of location I am in. North Bellmore right now is very different from parts of Bellmore south of Sunrise Hwy. Never have any problems & I do everything in Bellmore. Hardly ever really venture out of the area for any services at all. As for illegal apts. That is a problem all over LI. Try driving the side streets in Franklin Square. All the cars on the street there truly give insight to how many illegal apts are there. The housing in NB is very different than south of Sunrise. At night there are many shady people it seems hanging out on the streets in areas of NB. Like around Newbridge Rd area. Not illegal apts at all in my area of Bellmore..but around train station & north there are plenty.
Do I need to keep reminding people that OP asked for our own personal opinions? I was born and raised there. Lived there for 25 years. To me, it's gone downhill. Your pointing out Franklin Square only demonstrates my point: that Bellmore is becoming more citified. Franklin Square is closer to Queens and had been more citified much longer. Now Bellmore is resembling Franklin Square.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:37 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,297 times
In the first half of my childhood I lived in brooklyn and then queens. In the last half, parents started to make enough money to move to Great Neck. Lived there from about 1984 to 1992. Hated all the rich pompous kids there, especially since I came from brooklyn, but the school system was great. Could not wait to haul ass out of long island once I graduated HS in 1992.

Now that I am old and with kids, I'm moving back to LI. I'm priced out of NYC and public schools suck in DUMBO. I'm not paying 2million dollars for a small 3bd apt so my kids can go to a ghetto public school. I'm also priced out of Great Neck so I will be headed to East Hills. Closing my house next week. Can't wait to sell my current 1 bd room apt which has appreciated to almost 1mill to some fool who wants to live in "hip" brooklyn. Eff that, I'm ready to mow my lawn.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:40 PM

196 posts, read 779,586 times
Congrats on the house 85dumdo.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:07 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
In the first half of my childhood I lived in brooklyn and then queens. In the last half, parents started to make enough money to move to Great Neck. Lived there from about 1984 to 1992. Hated all the rich pompous kids there, especially since I came from brooklyn, but the school system was great. Could not wait to haul ass out of long island once I graduated HS in 1992.

Now that I am old and with kids, I'm moving back to LI. I'm priced out of NYC and public schools suck in DUMBO. I'm not paying 2million dollars for a small 3bd apt so my kids can go to a ghetto public school. I'm also priced out of Great Neck so I will be headed to East Hills. Closing my house next week. Can't wait to sell my current 1 bd room apt which has appreciated to almost 1mill to some fool who wants to live in "hip" brooklyn. Eff that, I'm ready to mow my lawn.

Congrats and welcome back! It's still a great place (IMHO)

Old 04-08-2015, 03:14 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,196 times
Quote:
Do I need to keep reminding people that OP asked for our own personal opinions? I was born and raised there. Lived there for 25 years. To me, it's gone downhill. Your pointing out Franklin Square only demonstrates my point: that Bellmore is becoming more citified. Franklin Square is closer to Queens and had been more citified much longer. Now Bellmore is resembling Franklin Square.
I live in Bellmore now & have family in FS & go there all the time. North Bellmore lately is very different from the Bellmore area that is South of Sunrise. Just driving around the area it is pretty easy to see the differences between Northern areas of Bellmore & the southern areas. Love it here & would not choose any other LI town..except maybe Williston Park.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
I live in Bellmore now & have family in FS & go there all the time. North Bellmore lately is very different from the Bellmore area that is South of Sunrise. Just driving around the area it is pretty easy to see the differences between Northern areas of Bellmore & the southern areas. Love it here & would not choose any other LI town..except maybe Williston Park.
Williston Park, hands down. It's still a great mix of tree lined, child friendly streets and convenience of Hillside Ave shopping. South of Sunrise Bellmore is it's own little enclave. But the majority of Bellmore is north of Sunrise. The Bellmore I know was north of Sunrise up to East Meadow. And I don't like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island