Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 07:00 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,526,180 times

Advertisements

I've heard so many LI contractor horror stories that I'm glad my soon-to-be-closing house was already gut renovated in 2009 so its move in ready. The only thing I need done is to put pvc fencing in the backyard, but I'm assuming that will be a straightfoward job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 07:04 AM

397 posts, read 512,484 times
Hey, nothing wrong with making a lot of money... I could use a little more!

Contractors are notoriously bad businessmen. It's so easy here on Long Island to get a license and hang out your shingle, so every skilled worker thinks they're better off working for themselves. Unfortunately, the lack of business knowledge gives us all a bad reputation.

I do have to agree with LIHR however, there are some folks I just dont want to work for. People tend to get upset when you tell them that you'd rather not quote their project though.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:30 AM

5,490 posts, read 7,073,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Perhaps that's your problem. You need to contact contractors ON Long Island.
If the contractor lived in Manhattan would we say on Manhattan too?

Old 04-09-2015, 07:43 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,984,283 times
I share the same sentiment, though my job was more for handiwork not a $100k addition.

I wanted new gutters installed on my house. Had 3 companies come over and gave me a one line quote that pretty much read "Install 160' gutter, $xxxx"

I revised it for all three quotes I got, really to CMA on standard stuff (specify brand/material, install to local codes, debris removal) you know, stuff that's assumed more than anything else, and asked them to resubmit. No response from a SINGLE ONE.

Yeah, I'd rather have the things I want in writing instead of arguing over standard practice things that I would assume are included as part of the job. If you don't care to rewrite a simple quote, you can't communicate. I don't care to hire you for work.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:52 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,838,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
Maybe I need to stay away from the referral and go with the bigger companies that have a dedicated sales team.
I would. I've spoken to them and it felt so impersonal. Even making an appointment seemed like a business process. And just imagine how much of that extra cost goes into all the overhead.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:41 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,636,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
If the contractor lived in Manhattan would we say on Manhattan too?

Geographical boundary (on) versus man-made defined boundary (in.)

The contractor could live ON Manhattan Island or IN the Manhattan borough limits.

Live IN a house
that's ON a street
that's IN a hamlet/village/CDP
that's IN a county
that's ON an island
that's IN a state
that's IN a country
which is ON a continent
which is ON a planet
which is IN a solar system
which is IN a galaxy
which is IN the universe.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:04 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,838,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
I would. I've spoken to them and it felt so impersonal. Even making an appointment seemed like a business process. And just imagine how much of that extra cost goes into all the overhead.
Whoops I meant to say I wouldn't.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:46 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,428,479 times
remember most people do not want to be contractors. Usually they did not go to college or are a college drop out. It is something you kinda fall into as it pays well and not much experience needed. It is not a passion for most. A job.

However, folks doing the remodeling watch too much HGTV and think the 50 year old guy installing a toliet for the 1,000 time is as excited as they are

Old 04-09-2015, 12:08 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,636,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
Thus my original post/vent. Making too much money. So they just don't care anymore. Maybe I need to stay away from the referral and go with the bigger companies that have a dedicated sales team.
Echoing what LIHR wrote, just like you want to pick and choose your contractor, a contractor will be selective about for whom he will work. If the personalities didn't mesh well from the start and they're going to back away from a job, at least have the courtesy to contact you saying, "Thank you, but...."

Old 04-09-2015, 12:38 PM

300 posts, read 549,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
remember most people do not want to be contractors. Usually they did not go to college or are a college drop out. It is something you kinda fall into as it pays well and not much experience needed. It is not a passion for most. A job.

However, folks doing the remodeling watch too much HGTV and think the 50 year old guy installing a toliet for the 1,000 time is as excited as they are
Hmmm.. This may have been true before the whole education boom but it isn't anymore.

There are more educated people in the construction workforce now than there has ever been. Many young students go to school for construction management, architecture, construction technology, interior design, engineering and building science who all work in the construction industry. Many of them have trade school certificates, associates, bachelors and some even have their Masters..

You might not see them as much because they are all young. Many of them are still in management and foreman roles but give it 10 years and you will see that many of these educated men will end up owning their own construction companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island