Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 03:16 AM

30 posts, read 38,938 times

Advertisements

I'm new to NY and am renting in long island. I would like to get a clear idea about the broker's fee.

1. As oridiculous as it sounds, I was told that if look at the rental infroamtion online, call the listing agent to make an appointment, drive to look at the place myself, and the landlord's agent just shows it to me, and I have to pay 1 month rent(not the landlord who hires the agent in the first place). This is true?

2. Does it make any difference whether I use a tenant's agent in terms of fee? Do I pay extra or my agent and landlord's agent will split the broker's fee?

3. All listing in MLSLI has listing agents while cragislist has ads posted by owners directly. If contacting the owner directly would avoid the broker's fee, what would be the disadvantages of not going through an realtor?

Thanks for any replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 05:29 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
1. NO
2. Not sure but I think they split
3. The disadvantage is that CL listings can be scams, just like any other part of the country.

Be aware that almost any apartment you look at that is in a house (particularly if it's in a basement) is going to be illegal on Long Island.

Good luck.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:12 AM

30 posts, read 38,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
1. NO
2. Not sure but I think they split
3. The disadvantage is that CL listings can be scams, just like any other part of the country.

Be aware that almost any apartment you look at that is in a house (particularly if it's in a basement) is going to be illegal on Long Island.

Good luck.
Hi there. I do not understand your answer to my question 1. Are you saying I do not need to pay broker's fee if I contact the listing agent myself and get the lease?

Old 04-12-2015, 08:28 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
As unusual as it is/sounds for tenants from out-of-area, on Long Island the tenant pays the fee.
If the rental is listed on Multiple Listing (with a "listing agent") then yes, upon lease signing, the fee/commission is due. Most of the time it's one month's rent; but there are some agents who want (and get) 10% of the annual rent and even as much as 15% of the annual rent.

And no, it makes no difference if you use a tenants' agent. Why? The listing agent determines both the commission amount and the split. Both the listing and the tenant's agent get what's pre-determined; since they both "did their job", it's not likely they will take less. Keep in mind that whatever the total commission is goes first to the company ("Broker") who then splits the amount with the respective agent(s). (Example: commission/fee is $1,500 with two agents; listing Broker gets $750 and so does "renting" Broker. Each Broker then splits the $750 with their agent; amounts vary by individual agreement between "Broker" and agent.)

Listings on Craigslist can be both, from landlords and from agents who want the most exposure for their listing (agents are required to disclose that they are agents). With regard to legality, it is true that basement apartments are no longer permitted, and there are illegal rentals (= without a Town permit), however, there are plenty of legal apartments in private houses! In the Town of Huntington alone, there are about 1,600 of them as of January of this year; this does not include duplexes or other multi-unit properties.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:58 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Your question in #1 boiled down to "if I look at an apartment do I have to pay the agent?"

No.

If you MEANT, "All the agent does is show is let me in, do I owe them one month's rent" then the answer is YES. That's the way it works on Long Island.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:46 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Use craigs list, trulia, zillow to look yourself if you use an agent on a year round lease you will pay the fee.

Inventory is tight here. Landlord does not have to use a realtor. I own a place I rent out, no way would I pay a realtor a one month fee to rent my place. I can get tenants easy. But if a tenant wants someone to do leg work for them they usually pay.

Only exception is short term summer rentals usually landlord pays.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:18 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
Just go, see the place, and refuse to pay a fee.
Use Nassau County Property Tax website to find the owner and see if you can contact them directly.

Tell them you'd like to use an attorney (or your own RE) and pay them $150 for an hour to write up a lease.
Ridiculous practice on LI.

To think Realtors think a few hours of their time is worth any more than minimum wage.
Laughable.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:58 PM

Landlords have their own leases or you can get one online or even in Staples where they have paper copies for sale. No need for a lawyer on a lease.

More important make sure guy owns the place and it is legit. Also it is a legal rental.

Condos for rent by owner are pretty good to rent year round if you like safety and no relying on landlord for everything as condo will do lawn, snow removal and garage pick up etc.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:43 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Your question in #1 boiled down to "if I look at an apartment do I have to pay the agent?"

No.

If you MEANT, "All the agent does is show is let me in, do I owe them one month's rent" then the answer is YES. That's the way it works on Long Island.
It's one of those LI things like tipping the title person at closing. It's standard and accepted practice.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:19 AM

There are also disadvantages to owner for using a realtor aside from the cost.

Small landlords, who only own 1-2 places and rarely rent out are exempted from a lot of the fair housing rules.

Meaning you are free to not rent to a bongo player, a person with five kids, someone who needs place to conform to their handicap. A realtor has to follow the fair housing rules.

The exemption is with good reason. A family with two young kids who own a two family house with a small backyard that is shared and has a stay at home wife. Cant afford to put ramps in and change bathrooms around for a handicap person or have a person with three loud teenagers playing music or some guy who works night shift who needs silence all day etc.

Realtors are very good at checking credit but when it is a small time landlord in your own place you live you have to be careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island