Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 11:58 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulHope View Post
Also, Nassau is MUCH more segregated than Suffolk when it comes to white-black segregation as demonstrated below. I've always wondered why..-

https://lii-production.s3.amazonaws....llSeparate.jpg
In very tiny letters situated below the graphic, it indicates that this data was compiled by the LI Indexwhich is a project of the Rauch Foundation.

Looks like we have a case of do as I say, not as I do.

Rauch Foundation :: Board of Directors

Quote:
Nancy Rauch Douzinas
President
Rauch Foundation
After a career of 20 years as a psychologist and family therapist, Nancy Rauch Douzinas became president of the Rauch Foundation in 1990.

In keeping with her broad range of community concerns and personal interests, Nancy serves on the boards of Teachers College, Columbia University; the Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities; the Energeia Partnership; the North Shore Land Alliance; the Stony Brook Foundation; and the newly created Accelerate Long Island.

Nancy graduated from Smith College and received an M.A. and Ph.D. from New York University in community psychology. She and her husband reside in Lloyd Harbor and have two married daughters and five grandchildren.
Lloyd Harbor, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The racial makeup of the village was 96.49% White...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 12:23 PM

137 posts, read 194,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halberto9 View Post
Originally Posted by LICDForumbites
...By any definition those areas are not slums. Seriously though, I know at least 4 Russian families who emigrated to Brooklyn and bought on Staten Island in the last 10 years. Not a bad thing as they all make good money and will only help the neighborhood (one is Annadale which doesn't need much help). South Brooklyn and Staten Island will be solidly Ruskie and Asian within another dozen years.
Quote:
Just following in the footsteps left by the Italians 40 years ago.

Exactly. I didn't mean it as a negative if it sounded that way. It's the next wave of American Dreamers.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:55 PM

352 posts, read 387,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICDForumbites View Post
Exactly. I didn't mean it as a negative if it sounded that way. It's the next wave of American Dreamers.
Didn't take it as negative, just reflecting on the way it's always been for generations. Like Asians leaving Flushing for north shore LI or NJ, Greeks departing Astoria for eastern Queens and LI, all being replaced by the next wave of the Dreamers you mention.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:07 PM

231 posts, read 402,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Yea - if you are living in the '50s or before. But we don't. Its 2015. Your "by definition" meaning is entirely superseded. Also, "gay" doesn't mean "happy" any more.
Yeah and Chelsea in Manhattan or West Hollywood in California are gay ghettoes, or large concentrations of gay men clustered into an area, same with Fire Island I think, at least in summertime.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Didn't take it as negative, just reflecting on the way it's always been for generations. Like Asians leaving Flushing for north shore LI or NJ, Greeks departing Astoria for eastern Queens and LI, all being replaced by the next wave of the Dreamers you mention.
European immigrants are different, they integrate and have respect. Others not so much..for instance I did know one Russkie in High School and beside the fact that he was named Yuri he was no different than the rest of us. I thought of him mode as a Jew than a Russian. If Russians started moving heavily into the Rock (only area with Russians is Midland Beach which has never been nice and is thought of as white trash and illegal Mexicans for 3 decades already) I wouldn't mind because most Russians outside of Brighton and Lower Sheepshead Bay aren't Babuschka types with Burgundy hair but usually very nice and Americanized. Asians on the other hand...I would move. As someone who was born in Dyker/Bensonhurst by 81st and 14th Avenue, I have seen Bensonhurst go from a really beautiful and clean family oriented neighborhood to a filthy smelly ghetto (as in the hood). It's the same with Flushing used to be a truly nice area with all different ethnic groups now it doesn't even feel like America and it is spreading to Whitestone and Little Neck and Great Neck too by GN Souh HS.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
In very tiny letters situated below the graphic, it indicates that this data was compiled by the LI Indexwhich is a project of the Rauch Foundation.

Looks like we have a case of do as I say, not as I do.

Rauch Foundation :: Board of Directors

Lloyd Harbor, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Now THATS my kind of town. Plus Massapequa and Wantagh and also Commack and parts of Smithtown. I am not a fan of living in diversity if I want that experience I will walk down Roosevelt Avenue from Flushing to Jackson Heights.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:23 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,413,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
^^This is spot on.

One thing I wanted to add is that the North Shore of LI has extremely high inequality much like Westchester and CT. In these areas, almost everybody is EITHER either rich/near-rich[majority] or extremely poor/immigrants. The poor mainly consist of the servants who serve the rich ppl (ex: landscapers) and on the north shore..most live in boarding houses/section 8 in various scattered locations throughout (ex. parts of Glen Cove, New Cassel, Huntington Sta, etc).

The South Shore is more consistently middle class and have fairly low-moderate inequality...with some areas pushing more towards the higher-end of middle class (ex: Merrick, RVC, Babylon, Oakdale) and some parts pushing more towards the lower-end of middle class (ex: Copiague, Levittown, Uniondale, Island Park). Not too rich and not too poor, VERY middle class...but this is slowly changing as the more affordable parts of the island get more in-migration from illegal immigrants as more and more middle class families flee the high cost of living of this region.

In 2013, I went to explore the Great Neck Peninsula more in-depth than I had before and drove through and around Kings Point (on the northernmost reaches of the Great Neck Peninsula), where the super-rich live in enormous estates in wooded areas . . . and we all know or assume that the rest of the Great Neck Peninsula is very highly affluent and upscale as well. And yet, on the southern edge of Kings Point going towards the Village of Greak Neck (note sure of the exact location), I saw a host of dilapidated, run-down looking buildings, stores, structures, et al. It looked rather low-end in income. And there were a host of poorer-looking folks hanging around the streets around there. I couldn't believe that this was on the Greak Neck Peninsula. So there is a lower-income or poor area on the very rich and upscale Great Neck Peninsula?

Old 04-15-2015, 10:03 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulHope View Post
Also, Nassau is MUCH more segregated than Suffolk when it comes to white-black segregation as demonstrated below. I've always wondered why..-

https://lii-production.s3.amazonaws....llSeparate.jpg
I think Blockbusting is still alive & well in Nassau. The Real Estate system is set up so that all the decent areas are very expensive, so only rich people can afford to live there, and lets face it most rich folks are white. If you're not rich you're most likely going to wind up in one of the less desirable areas. Throw in a little discrimination against non-whites & folks who don't have stable, white collar jobs and the segregation is the final result.
Several good examples can be found just by riding the bus, like the n45 where you go thru Uniondale & Roosevelt and there isn't a white person to be found and then you cross over the Pkwy into Merrick and you don't see any minorities.
There's very few communities in Nassau which have a truly diverse group of people. Westbury used to be pretty close but it's tipping more in the favor of becoming a completely non-white community.
Nassau is probably one of the most segregated Counties in this Nation. The folks running the County don't help matters either. The resources are almost always directed toward the wealthier communuties, even police protection. Funny how I always see plenty of NCPD in Bellmore, Merrick, and Roslyn but rarely a car to be found here in Westbury. I have been told there is only one NCPD patrol car assigned to our entire Village. They'd rather protect the rich than flood areas having issues with crime. They certainly are paid enough.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:13 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIJ95 View Post
European immigrants are different, they integrate and have respect. Others not so much..for instance I did know one Russkie in High School and beside the fact that he was named Yuri he was no different than the rest of us. I thought of him mode as a Jew than a Russian. If Russians started moving heavily into the Rock (only area with Russians is Midland Beach which has never been nice and is thought of as white trash and illegal Mexicans for 3 decades already) I wouldn't mind because most Russians outside of Brighton and Lower Sheepshead Bay aren't Babuschka types with Burgundy hair but usually very nice and Americanized. Asians on the other hand...I would move. As someone who was born in Dyker/Bensonhurst by 81st and 14th Avenue, I have seen Bensonhurst go from a really beautiful and clean family oriented neighborhood to a filthy smelly ghetto (as in the hood). It's the same with Flushing used to be a truly nice area with all different ethnic groups now it doesn't even feel like America and it is spreading to Whitestone and Little Neck and Great Neck too by GN Souh HS.
I got no complains about immigrants as long as they come here legally and respect the community. I've been to Flushing and yes it has turned into a "Chinatown" but I still see a very diverse amount of people there. Yes alot of the mainstream stores have become asian owned businesses but what if there were no asians? They would've gone empty or become seedy low class places like bodegas and multiservices.
Crime has not gone up in Flushing either and they generally don't loiter around and drink on sidewalks.
Education is stressed very highly among this group of people and I generally think most of what they bring is positive energy to the table. Which is completely different from what most illegal immigrants from Latin America bring, most are fleeing violence & poverty and instead of becoming educated, they bring the very problems they are fleeing from to the community.
Long Island (as far as Nassau & Suffolk) have a big lack of an Asian influence, I used to see more in Nassau but lately not so much, SUNY Stony Brook seems to have had a reduction in the amount of students from Asia too. Most Asians on LI are mostly toward the New Hyde Park & Herricks areas. This would also include South Asians (India,etc) some of which have moved to Hicksville and are probably the only thing holding up Broadway right now from becoming a stretch of Bodegas.
I'll gladly trade the illegals who are a General Menace loitering around causing trouble, for educated well behaved Asian immigrants.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:49 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIJ95 View Post
It is a good town for singles but it is a suburb and suburbs are supposed to be good for families and I wouldn't ever live there with kids..high taxes and grit/dirt/crime and the public schools are worse than some parts of the city.
What a false representation of Teaneck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island