Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 10:03 AM

7 posts, read 11,379 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what the requirements are to apply for a maintain permit for a finished basement? We just bought a house in Elmont, and it turns out that the basement wasn't permitted when the previous owner finished it. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 01:13 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
Your best bet is to keep your mouth shut don't tell the town and enjoy it w/o paying the taxes on it.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:03 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuman.Khan View Post
Does anyone know what the requirements are to apply for a maintain permit for a finished basement? We just bought a house in Elmont, and it turns out that the basement wasn't permitted when the previous owner finished it. Any help would be appreciated.
Unless you are planning to do renovations that include needing to go into your basement to check say electric, heating or plumbing and you plan on staying in the home for a lengthy period of time, I would keep quiet. IF however, you are in need of any renos that will include the above, you will need to begin the permit process. Unless something has changed in the last couple of years, they don't issue maintain permits for this situation.

It didn't come upon with your home appraisal?

Old 04-14-2015, 02:45 PM

The inspector actually came to our house to inspect a separate matter and went to the basement. That's when we realized that the basement wasn't permitted. So, now we have to get it permitted.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:51 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
The inspector actually came to our house to inspect a separate matter and went to the basement. That's when we realized that the basement wasn't permitted. So, now we have to get it permitted.
I think you forgot to slip him a C-note on the way out the door.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyjet View Post
i think you forgot to slip him a c-note on the way out the door.
lol

Old 04-14-2015, 09:10 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
I think you forgot to slip him a C-note on the way out the door.
Unfortunately this is how the towns ********* now. I pretty much won't do anything to my home that would require a visit from the town. I do all the work myself or hire unlicensed contractors.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:59 AM

352 posts, read 386,742 times
Quote:
What was the separate matter that required an inspector to visit?
I think what nuts2uiam was asking is why didn't this lack of permit come up prior to purchase, or were you buying without financing?

Old 04-15-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halberto9 View Post
What was the separate matter that required an inspector to visit?
I think what nuts2uiam was asking is why didn't this lack of permit come up prior to purchase, or were you buying without financing?
We had an open permit on our second floor dormer that we needed to have closed. During the title search, it came and we had the seller put money up on escrow to get that fixed. We didn't realize that the basement was done without a permit. We didn't realize the basement wasn't permitted and nothing came on the searches.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:12 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
We had an open permit on our second floor dormer that we needed to have closed. During the title search, it came and we had the seller put money up on escrow to get that fixed. We didn't realize that the basement was done without a permit. We didn't realize the basement wasn't permitted and nothing came on the searches.
How old is house. Maybe it was done pre-building codes or department. For instance I saw a house fully remodeled in RVC no permits on file but it was built 1900 and was in existence before there was an Incorporated Village of RVC or their building dept. So no way to know how many baths, bedrooms etc it was built with in first place and no one had ever let town in as it could only raise taxes etc. In that case town can say house was not built that way or not as they have no building plans for house

Or maybe house was built with it finished.Also definition of finished is fuzzy if no bathroom in down there. Tile floors does not make it finished, sheet rock does not make it finished but somehow when you put up a complete new ceiling, new floors, new sheetrock and lights at some point in an abritary manner they consider it finished. Maybe there is one or two things you can remove to get it considered "unfinshed"

Also what does the nassau county landrecord viewer say? Is it listed as finished basement, unfinshed basement, Rec Room etc. That will give you a good clue if it was built that way and maybe mix up in building dept
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island