Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 01:14 PM

36 posts, read 179,730 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about the private schools in suffolk ?

Lets start withthe Ivy League school in smithtown. Does anyone know anything, good, bad, interesting ?
What about working for them? etc.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 07:12 AM

7 posts, read 93,718 times
Default Religious Private Schools

While I don't know anything about the Ivy League School, I do know a bit about religious private schools on the island. My children currently attend Upper Room Christian School. As far as I kow, Upper Room and Smithtown Christian are the only 2 decent sized christian schools left on the island (and so no one gets upset with me, I know there are a ton of smaller ones. What I mean is URCS has enrollment at 350 students, and I believe SC is about the same). URCS is grades Pre-K through 12th grade. Small class sizes, and growing sports and extra curricular programs.
As for the catholic schools, I found most of them to be a bit on the expensive side, with some hidden fees, (for example, at St Mary's there is mandatory fundraising, and if you don't raise the set amount, it gets added to your tuition, at least that was the policy when I was researching schools 4 years ago). But again, they mostly had small class sizes, and wonderful extra curricular programs.
What no one can deny is that at most private schools, your child receives and excellent education (and please public school teachers, don't be mad, 99.9% of you are doing EXCEPTIONAL jobs! I went to public school in HHH and I graduated with high honors. What I mean is smaller class sizes, and the time to focus on each student individually).
If you can afford it, no matter which one you go with, Private school in an excellent option!
Good luck!

PS It was never my intention to insult anyone with this post, so please do not take offense if you fall into one of the categories I spoke about.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:47 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,799,829 times
I only know about Holy angels in Patchogue. It is a Catholic school and so far we are happy with it. Cost ; for two its about $6000 per year, one manditory fundraiser ; that is you do need to pay $40 for the school journal. Other than that, we dont have any manditory things. Just give what and when you can.
The class size ; my sons class has 19 in it, the other son has 22. There is about 350 in the whole school. Academically ; they seem to be at least a year ahead of the public school. Recently a few older teachers retired and there are a few new teachers who are wonderful ; absolutely wonderful.
The other school I know a little about is Emanuel Lutheran in Patchogue. Again, small, it goes to 8th grade now. It is a little more expensive. Most of the children go onto Smithtown Christian after (i believe).
Anyone know anything about the Catholic high schools on the island?? Thats our next step.
Thanks
dorothy

Old 02-14-2008, 07:33 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,539,555 times
I heard Ivy League is very good but non traditional in teacher methods. Its also about $13,000 per year per student. Too rich for my blood. We send out kids to Sts. Philips and James and we are very happy. Tuition is about $5-7,000. for 2 kids

Old 02-14-2008, 08:00 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
Default Jewish private schools in Suffolk County

Commack:
Solomon Schechter Day School
Kindergarten to 8th Grade :: 103 Students

Torah Academy of Suffolk Co
7th Grade to 12th Grade :: 43 Students

Lake Grove:
Maimonides Day School
Pre-Kindergarten to 6th Grade :: 54 Students

Northport-East Northport:
The Menorah Day School
Pre-Kindergarten to 6th Grade :: 41 Students

Old 02-14-2008, 09:03 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
Please understand that I am not knocking anyone who has made the decision to provide their child with a Catholic school education. While I have never considered Catholic primary schools, I have looked into St Anthonys.

This example is only one isolated case.

My neighbors sent their child to St Philip & James. The child was having reading problems and the school told the parents that they could not offer the child the reading services the child required -- that the parents would be best off pulling the child out and enrolling the child in the local public school for a year where the child would get all the support needed. The child was bounced from Catholic to public to Catholic school over 3 years.

I would think that such disruption so early in the beginning of one's schooling could be potentially detrimental. I understand and respect that the parents want to provide the moral values which come along with a Catholic education. My concern would be that if there is one problem which could not be addressed in the Catholic school but had to be helped by the public school, what happens if other aspects of it surface at a later date?

Old 02-14-2008, 11:57 AM

Ohbeehave ; it depends on the school district. In our catholic school my son has resource daily. The school district arranged for someone to come in every day, pull him out of school and give him resource reading. It has made a tremendous improvement and in a year he is reading at the same level as his peers now. He is in third grade.

I do know of other parents who live in different school districts that have been refused help. South Country is famous for this as is Sachem. Their attitude is that if you want the help, send the child to public school. Our catholic school has done everything possible for some children and as a last resort it recommends public school. It really depends on the school and the severity of the problems. There are some children that receive speech therapy thru the school board. The therapists come into out school and teach the children.

dorothy

Old 02-14-2008, 12:09 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Ohbeehave ; it depends on the school district. In our catholic school my son has resource daily. The school district arranged for someone to come in every day, pull him out of school and give him resource reading. It has made a tremendous improvement and in a year he is reading at the same level as his peers now. He is in third grade.

I do know of other parents who live in different school districts that have been refused help. South Country is famous for this as is Sachem. Their attitude is that if you want the help, send the child to public school. Our catholic school has done everything possible for some children and as a last resort it recommends public school. It really depends on the school and the severity of the problems. There are some children that receive speech therapy thru the school board. The therapists come into out school and teach the children.

dorothy
Thank you for helping clarify that. St Philip & James is in the Smithtown school district, while the neighbor whose child was affected is in the Three Village school district. Maybe it would have been different had the child been a resident of Smithtown?

Old 02-14-2008, 02:20 PM

I dont know. We live in Longwood and the school is in Pat/Med. Up to last year if you needed services, the child had to be examined by your home school district ; being Longwood. Now this year there was a change and the child would be examined by the school district the school he/she attends is in ; that being Pat/Med. So I am not expecting my son to get resource after this year.

Some districts are known for being great working with private/parochial schools, others are waiting for the parents to bring in a lawyer before they will approve services. I ahve heard of that happening.

d

Old 02-14-2008, 02:23 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,539,555 times
I'm sad to say if your child needs special Ed. services, cahtolic school is not the place for them. Public school have much more money and trained teachers for special Ed needs. Now public school are required by law to provide those sevices to all children, catholic or public but parent have to fight to get them.

A family I know have split their children, 2 go to catholic and the special needs goes to public. I come down to what is best for the child.

Catholic schools are not required to be everthing for every kid, public schools have that daunting task.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island