Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 05:55 AM

49 posts, read 102,627 times

Advertisements

Huntington is better with respect to things to do; bars, restaurants, etc..Historically Huntington has had more $. Closer to richer areas like Glen Cove/Cold Spring Harbor, etc. . However, to the person who said the scene is older; they bring up the point that often becomes reality for many who move here for the first time: the population, in general, is significantly older than most cities of comparable stats...

You're probably more likely to run into wasted, frat-boyesque 'jersey shore', puking girls, etc in Patchogue than in Huntington. As one of my friends said when I mentioned this post to him, "I would bring a date to Huntington if I wanted her to marry me, I'd bring to her Patchogue if I wanted to get laid." LOL. Anyway, most young people cannot afford to live here regardless, and therefore there has been an incredible influx of young people to NYC (places like Williamsburg have completely changed in the past few years; the average age has dropped like 7 years), or out of the state completely. Also, this is just my opinion, but if you'd like to live IN Huntington or Patchogue, I would HIGHLY advise against renting and look at condos. The new places in Huntington are asking for something like $2850/month for a 1 bedroom. The ones in Patchogue are $2340 for an entry level 1br. I would never spend more than $1900 for a 1bedroom apartment, but keep in mind that most decent ones on the island are going to be $1500-2000. Good luck in your search!

Last edited by Nighthawk191; 04-24-2015 at 06:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 08:25 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk191 View Post

Also, this is just my opinion, but if you'd like to live IN Huntington or Patchogue, I would HIGHLY advise against renting and look at condos. The new places in Huntington are asking for something like $2850/month for a 1 bedroom. The ones in Patchogue are $2340 for an entry level 1br. I would never spend more than $1900 for a 1bedroom apartment, but keep in mind that most decent ones on the island are going to be $1500-2000. Good luck in your search!
Are you quoting condo rental prices? Are you comparing Huntington Station to. Patchogue?

Old 04-24-2015, 02:24 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,752,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk191 View Post
Huntington is better with respect to things to do; bars, restaurants, etc..Historically Huntington has had more $. Closer to richer areas like Glen Cove/Cold Spring Harbor, etc. . However, to the person who said the scene is older; they bring up the point that often becomes reality for many who move here for the first time: the population, in general, is significantly older than most cities of comparable stats...

You're probably more likely to run into wasted, frat-boyesque 'jersey shore', puking girls, etc in Patchogue than in Huntington. As one of my friends said when I mentioned this post to him, "I would bring a date to Huntington if I wanted her to marry me, I'd bring to her Patchogue if I wanted to get laid." LOL. Anyway, most young people cannot afford to live here regardless, and therefore there has been an incredible influx of young people to NYC (places like Williamsburg have completely changed in the past few years; the average age has dropped like 7 years), or out of the state completely. Also, this is just my opinion, but if you'd like to live IN Huntington or Patchogue, I would HIGHLY advise against renting and look at condos. The new places in Huntington are asking for something like $2850/month for a 1 bedroom. The ones in Patchogue are $2340 for an entry level 1br. I would never spend more than $1900 for a 1bedroom apartment, but keep in mind that most decent ones on the island are going to be $1500-2000. Good luck in your search!
I'd have to agree with most of this.

OP have you looked into Northport? beautiful, old, historic town with a great downtown. 10 minute drive to Huntington.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:27 AM

10 posts, read 18,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
I'd have to agree with most of this.

OP have you looked into Northport? beautiful, old, historic town with a great downtown. 10 minute drive to Huntington.
We haven't really looked into any other areas. We'd like to live within walking distance of a main street. One thing that's been surprising in our search is the rent is just as high as in the city.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Old 04-25-2015, 12:43 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Have you visited either one, or are you going solely by what you've read?

Old 04-25-2015, 06:54 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,642,340 times
I vote for Huntington. Patchogue is definitely on the upswing, but there are only a few blocks of restaurants downtown. Blink and they're over. Huntington has a larger downtown as you'll see if you visit in person.

Rents are very high in Huntington Village - new apartments really are $2850/month for a one-bedroom.

Maybe it would be better to rent a small house for that amount of money (or a little less). And there are some beautiful old neighborhoods that surround Huntington Village that have house rentals that will put you close enough to the village so that you can walk into town.

If you are interested in renting a house in the village area, I'd suggest you drive out here and ride around neighborhoods and look at streets such as Carley Avenue on the northwest end; Fairview St., Dewey St., Fairmount, on the southern end of the village; Prime Avenue/Madison near Heckscher Park; Clinton, Penataquit, Mechanic Street in the West Neck area, etc. (No, I'm not a realtor.) The farther north you go from 25A the higher the prices both for rent and sales.

Take a day and check out both Patchogue and Huntington - that's really the only way you'll be able to make a definitive decision. Don't just go by opinions on this site. What appeals to some people, doesn't appeal to others.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:05 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,989,267 times
Home prices for 4BDR in Huntington are around $700k.
Home prices for 4BDR in Patchogue are around $300k.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:28 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Home prices for 4BDR in Huntington are around $700k.
Home prices for 4BDR in Patchogue are around $300k.
Location, location, location. It's like comparing home prices in western Nassau to home prices in Huntington. The same house in Garden City and Huntington is also going to have a $300K price difference (or more). There's a reason for it, and it's not just schools.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:44 AM

10 posts, read 18,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Have you visited either one, or are you going solely by what you've read?
I haven't visited either place yet. I think next weekend we'll take a drive out. This decision definitely won't be made solely on forums and stats.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:51 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,989,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxplaya005 View Post
We haven't really looked into any other areas. We'd like to live within walking distance of a main street. One thing that's been surprising in our search is the rent is just as high as in the city.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!
If this is what you want, (and what I currently have and love) then it's going to be Patchogue. New Village Patchogue has new rentals, and there's a user here, Vinmann, (//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...n-1833918.html) that lives there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island