Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 10:44 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyes1982 View Post
1200 square feet is a pretty large home. There is 7 of us in 850 right now and it's just getting right now as the kids get bigger..1200 square feet would be MORE than enough for us
It's all relative to what you're used to. Our Levitt starter home w/ extension was 1350sqft. For 2 people, it was plenty - 3 beds, living, dining, den, EIK, and a bath. All a livable size but not large. When we had kids we also had (or were given) a lot of toys on top of larger items like a kitchen, slides, and walkers and we also had gates surrounding the area to keep them there - it was starting to get cramped in the living spaces. On top of that there was no basement for all the extras so they'd all be in a room which made the room otherwise useless. At this point many people would say they need a bigger house. You could make do as many have, but it isn't comfortable by any means. It's the same as driving a coupe when you have baby carriers to remove and place in every single time. You could manage, but you could do better with an SUV/minivan.

We now have a large open living area and they even play sports inside. We can spread out the large items and have a dedicated play room too. Also a full basement. If anything, you'd need less space as the kids grow older and just keep themselves in their rooms.

Last edited by ovi8; 04-23-2015 at 11:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 12:52 PM

814 posts, read 911,629 times
So why do people stay and pay for other peoples fortunes? I wouldn't pay school tax my kids are graduated, that's crazy.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
So why do people stay and pay for other peoples fortunes? I wouldn't pay school tax my kids are graduated, that's crazy.
I'll take my parents for example. They are paying $14k/year to stay where they are, which is a good district and they have more house than they need. The reason they stay is they don't want to start over. They are very comfortable with the house they've made their own, flower beds, built deck, large comfortable yard and all. They don't want to deal with a higher chance of crime in a lesser area. They are close to their kids and grandkids and close to work (next town or two over).

Their mortgage is paid off, so they are worried about $1k/mo. in living expenses and that's it. So long as they can afford it, they'll remain. If we all move away, then they'd be much more inclined to go too.

My wife and I also spoke about our future. We'd downgrade to a nearby town we previously lived in that cuts taxes maybe $6k/yr. but we'd have to start over making the house our own (been through that headache). We'd only do it because we're familiar with the area and aren't concerned about safety. For $6k/year more... and still being gainfully employed, we could just stay in a nicer house. Sell when we need the money.

Why would we leave the area? We don't know anyone outside of NY except for great uncles in CA. Friends are here, hobbies are close (the 4 ice rinks that I play at, the many parks within 20 minutes we frequent together). The variety of ethnic food we eat all the time. I'll have plenty of time being "alone" and with less to do when we're way retired. I guess some people consider that a "higher quality of life" away from the expenses, friends, family, and amenities here but not me. I'd just call it boring.

Last edited by ovi8; 04-23-2015 at 01:43 PM..

Old 04-23-2015, 01:16 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
I don't know anyone who considers 1200 square feet more than enough space for 7 people. That's positively insane.

I don't think every family of 4 needs a 4000 square foot McMansion, but 1200 square feet, even in dense, expensive urban centers like Manhattan, is a large 2 bedroom or 3 bedroom place. Hardly what I would call "more than enough space" for 7 people.

How you possibly manage 7 people in 850 square feet is mind boggling to me, given that was the size of my 1 bedroom condo after I graduated college. It was spacious for a 1 bedroom, but still.
we had six of us in a small two bedroom apartment in the city till I was 12. My Dad had a rare rent controlled unit. By force he gave it up and rent was 109 a month!! Worst was no AC. Only other downside hard to sleep till everyone went to sleep. We then bought a gigantic 1,300 square foot house. It felt huge. Remember, we had an unfinished basement, a attic for storage and a garage and a backyard.

My Mom owned that house for 30 years. She had plenty of Thanksgiving Dinner and Parties there with tons of people. In fact at my older sisters Sweet 16 Party Andrew Cuomo the current gov of NY attended and complimented my Mom on her beautiful home. I think we had like 40 people there

Unless you have more than four kids no need to have bigger than 2,000 square feet.

Average family with two kids 1,200 square foot is plenty

Old 04-23-2015, 01:23 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
214 Dahlia Dr, Mastic Beach NY, 11951 60x100 plot fully remodeled

$75,000

Total Taxes: $1,928

For fun looked up lowest cost single family home on LI. At 75K asking price and $1,928 taxes it is funny to think of monthly carrying cost

Old 04-23-2015, 01:33 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
She had plenty of Thanksgiving Dinner and Parties there with tons of people. In fact at my older sisters Sweet 16 Party Andrew Cuomo the current gov of NY attended and complimented my Mom on her beautiful home. I think we had like 40 people there
magnificent.

At what point will you run out of irrelevant anecdotes? Is there a never ending supply?

Old 04-23-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:

$75,000

For fun looked up lowest cost single family home on LI. At 75K asking price and $1,928 taxes it is funny to think of monthly carrying cost
In the other thread you stated the top 15 schools "suck" and now you point out Mastic Beach just for the low taxes. Not only is the house the size of a trailer, I think everyone and their grandma knows why taxes are low in certain towns.

54.7 (out of 110) - William Floyd High School (William Floyd*)

Old 04-23-2015, 03:41 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyes1982 View Post
Thank you guys, at least the ones that answered our question and didn't devolve into some racial tit-for-tat, totally uncalled for:.

So anyways what I am getting is that taxes are so high because of corruption/too powerful public employee unions, and the tons of bureaucratic layers on the island resulting from the fact that it is carved out into a million eensy-Wendy fiefdoms.

Thanks
Which is nearly the same in the rest of NYS.
LI has no industry, no commerce, thus no money.

It comes from citizens.
Blaming all public employees is all well and good, but isn't why the economy is completely unsustainable.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:11 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:

$75,000

Not remodeled; this is what it says:

Owner Refurbishing Interior Of Home. Updated Heating System, Great Starter Home On .14 Acre. Convenient To Beach

It's a "generous" four room ranch with a cellar (not basement!); no garage. No eat-in-kitchen of course.
Not sure what type of heat; states "other", so most likely it's not gas, oil or electric or it would say so. Maybe woodburning??
Does come with a stove and refrigerator.

Could be enough for a single occupant. Not sure there's enough room for washer/dryer - amenities that the average American comes to expect nowadays.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:38 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
Because if your job is in the NY metro there is really nowhere short of moving to PA where you will get relief on the taxes. What you save in taxes you will potentially pay in commuting costs...

It's a deadly cycle till you get off and move to Myrtle Beach...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island