Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 07:01 PM

14 posts, read 23,389 times

Advertisements

My son will be going to high school in September, 2016. He will probably attend either Chaminade or Kellenberg. He is a very good student so he should be accepted to both schools.

I know Chaminade is rate higher than Kellenberg but is there that much of a difference. I am aware of the Chaminade benefits, connections and the alumni network.I have attended a few of the Chaminade golf outings and am aware of the alumni network.

I personally think that Kellenberg would be a better fit of him. He also likes the school is coed and has a nicer campus.

I have spoken to several Chaminade graduates and they either loved it or hated it. I have spoken to a few Kellenberg graduates, who did not have any negative feelings about attending Kellenberg. They said Kellenberg prepared them well for college.

Is Kellenberg a "big step" down from Chaminade? How is the alumni network?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 07:05 PM

22,614 posts, read 36,516,975 times
With chaminade you're buying the alumni network. The rest if your post is correct.

My niece went to kellenburg and her brothers to chaminade. She's doing way better than they are.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:16 PM

659 posts, read 2,506,833 times
They are both excellent choices. I would have him go where he feels most comfortable and is most interested in attending.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:47 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,943,643 times
I went to Chaminade and hated it.

It stunted my social interactivity, and did nothing for getting me into my college of choice, despite my academic excellence.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:17 PM

730 posts, read 1,644,645 times
Schools are like banks - you get out what you put in.

The South Shore of Long Island has excellent High Schools.

Don't try to give your kid the best - give him what he needs to be the best.

I have seen too many kids with inflated egos and a "stench" of entitlement from parents giving them too much.

Don't try to buy your kid a future, help him to build it on his own.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:54 PM

334 posts, read 1,097,838 times
There are families who really love Chaminade and those who don't. I know a family whose older son went to Chaminade, but the younger one couldn't get in and went to Kellenberg. He was disappointed at first but eventually the family felt that his experience there was better--they said they felt there was something more special about Kellenberg and did find that it was a great fit. On the other hand I know families who have done the tour and not liked the school at all. I have to say that I found it just too big when I toured while others are just blown away by it, OTOH I attended a small HS myself.

Looking at the list of schools where graduates go (you can find it on the schools' websites) the list for Chaminade grads is definitely more impressive. On the other hand your son may prefer being in Kellenberg where he would probably be in the honors sections (none of them at Chaminade)

Just to let you know some of the pros and cons, sent more info in a PM. Good luck with your decision.

Old 04-25-2015, 04:01 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,753,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Shore 1 View Post
My son will be going to high school in September, 2016. He will probably attend either Chaminade or Kellenberg. He is a very good student so he should be accepted to both schools.

I know Chaminade is rate higher than Kellenberg but is there that much of a difference. I am aware of the Chaminade benefits, connections and the alumni network.I have attended a few of the Chaminade golf outings and am aware of the alumni network.

I personally think that Kellenberg would be a better fit of him. He also likes the school is coed and has a nicer campus.

I have spoken to several Chaminade graduates and they either loved it or hated it. I have spoken to a few Kellenberg graduates, who did not have any negative feelings about attending Kellenberg. They said Kellenberg prepared them well for college.

Is Kellenberg a "big step" down from Chaminade? How is the alumni network?
How would he feel about going to school locally?

Old 04-25-2015, 06:11 AM

19,584 posts, read 20,406,499 times
I went to Kellenberg. Briefly. I hated it. But that was a long long time ago.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:19 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,804,559 times
He should choose Chaminade.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:43 AM

4,690 posts, read 8,709,441 times
You can hear a million different personal anecdotes about how much one kid hated a school while another one thrived. It's all going to depend on your own kid. But, when it comes to performance, achievement, and perception of Catholic high schools on Long Island.....it's Chaminade/St. Anthony's, and then everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island