Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 05:07 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,207,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Except for all those who go to Mepham.
Would have been better for me just to state that those South of Sunrise whether they are in Merrick or Bellmore go to Kennedy HS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 05:10 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,989,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Would have been better for me just to state that those South of Sunrise whether they are in Merrick or Bellmore go to Kennedy HS.
Unless you're special needs, in drama, or go to tech classes. Then kids go to Calhoun.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:45 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,458 times
Meh, I find it a bit ridiculous that some posters are making such a distinction between North and South Bellmore. North Bellmore happens to be one of the towns we are looking at for our next home, and our HHI is well over $200K. While the homes south of Merrick Rd in Bellmore seem to have nicer layouts, streets, newer construction- we have no interest in looking at anything south of Sunrise/Merrick due to flood insurance concerns. My husband and I have a few friends who have bought homes in North Bellmore and they are very happy with the town (and they are lawyers/professionals with similar HHI as ours).

I think this whole concern of towns "going bad after X years" is a bit draconian. Neighborhoods will inevitably change, but change doesnt happen overnight and I think its hysterical anyone would think Bellmore will turn into Freeport or New Cassel in 10-20 years. Racially, every town in Long Island will eventually be diverse, just as the USA will no longer have a "white majority" in 30 years- get used to it.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Meh, I find it a bit ridiculous that some posters are making such a distinction between North and South Bellmore. North Bellmore happens to be one of the towns we are looking at for our next home, and our HHI is well over $200K. While the homes south of Merrick Rd in Bellmore seem to have nicer layouts, streets, newer construction- we have no interest in looking at anything south of Sunrise/Merrick due to flood insurance concerns. My husband and I have a few friends who have bought homes in North Bellmore and they are very happy with the town (and they are lawyers/professionals with similar HHI as ours).

I think this whole concern of towns "going bad after X years" is a bit draconian. Neighborhoods will inevitably change, but change doesnt happen overnight and I think its hysterical anyone would think Bellmore will turn into Freeport or New Cassel in 10-20 years. Racially, every town in Long Island will eventually be diverse, just as the USA will no longer have a "white majority" in 30 years- get used to it.
I was speaking honestly, having been raised and educated there. Wantagh, Seaford, and Massapequa haven't changed like this. For newbies moving in, it may be a Godsend. And that's great. But it's not the Bellmore I knew.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:36 PM

Quote:

I was speaking in terms of long term investments for people like you looking to buy. The changes I have seen in N. Bellmore have only been in the short term.Like in the last 5 years. Do you really want to buy in an area that in the next 5-10 years it will be worse? In cases like that the home you buy now..will sell for less if neighborhood becomes less desirable.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:

If I were looking on the South Shore in Nassau like you are & wanted north of Sunrise due to flooding concerns I would choose Wantagh over Bellmore in heartbeat.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
If I were looking on the South Shore in Nassau like you are & wanted north of Sunrise due to flooding concerns I would choose Wantagh over Bellmore in heartbeat.
Without a doubt. The mosque went up in early 2000's. Since then, congregants have been purchasing in the area. The demographics have changed. I wouldn't want to live in a large Muslim community, same as I wouldn't want to live in South Merrick because it's primarily Jewish. And I wouldn't fit in either neighborhood. They're ethnic enclaves.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:50 PM

49 posts, read 60,591 times
Quote:

Here is the thing, for the foreseeable future whites and East Asians will be the upper class and those diverse crowds will be the underclass, the servants, the peasants. In the future there will still be plenty of white and Asian places, this is where the upper class will reside. Towns like North Bellmore will be where those who serve live. Even in Mexico or Brazil or NYC, go to the nice places and you will see white faces.

America will be plurality white for a long time, it will be a pyramid with the blacks and Mexicans on the bottom. So don't give me that diversity shtick. Nice neighborhood is synonymous with white and east Asian residents and will be for the foreseeable future.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:51 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,458 times
Quote:
I was speaking in terms of long term investments for people like you looking to buy. The changes I have seen in N. Bellmore have only been in the short term.Like in the last 5 years. Do you really want to buy in an area that in the next 5-10 years it will be worse? In cases like that the home you buy now..will sell for less if neighborhood becomes less desirable.
Other than the installation of a mosque, an apartment complex and an elementary school that closed (which was likely due to lower enrollments as the new trend seems to show more couples are not having kids), I do not see any evidence of how North Bellmore is "getting worse". Do you have crime stats that show an increase for the last 5 years? Are you basing it on more black/brown faces walking the streets? Are there new gold cash/pawn shops popping up all over Bedford Ave or Newbridge Rd?

Also, given the uncertainty of the real estate market, prices can go either up, down or even stay the same subject to market fluctuations in the overall economy...how can anyone realistically say "this house will be worth less in 10-20 years than what you paid for it." I am sure those who bought in Williamsburg, Brooklyn 20 years ago never imagined their brownstone would fetch more than $500K or that half of Brooklyn would become gentrified with Manhattan's artists and young professionals. The variable of time is just too uncertain to make such claims...I just find this perspective unnecessarily alarmist. No one has a crystall ball to predict where the winds blow.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Other than the installation of a mosque, an apartment complex and an elementary school that closed (which was likely due to lower enrollments as the new trend seems to show more couples are not having kids), I do not see any evidence of how North Bellmore is "getting worse". Do you have crime stats that show an increase for the last 5 years? Are you basing it on more black/brown faces walking the streets? Are there new gold cash/pawn shops popping up all over Bedford Ave or Newbridge Rd?

Also, given the uncertainty of the real estate market, prices can go either up, down or even stay the same subject to market fluctuations in the overall economy...how can anyone realistically say "this house will be worth less in 10-20 years than what you paid for it." I am sure those who bought in Williamsburg, Brooklyn 20 years ago never imagined their brownstone would fetch more than $500K or that half of Brooklyn would become gentrified with Manhattan's artists and young professionals. The variable of time is just too uncertain to make such claims...I just find this perspective unnecessarily alarmist. No one has a crystall ball to predict where the winds blow.
The school closed due to budget issues. Right now the school classrooms are pretty large because they shut down the school. I don't think a strip club is a sign of a great area. Section 8 housing is never a great feature. I don't base it on skin color. But I do base it on ethnic enclave development, which is only getting larger. You're not catching North Bellmore as it's coming up, you're buying in while it's on the way down. If you grew up there, you'd understand. Our house sold for $440 in 2008. After the bubble burst. It just resold for $362k. And they installed a new furnace, central air, and new kitchen. Those numbers don't lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island