Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 08:47 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
You know what, best of luck to her maybe she will be able to live eating a vegetarian diet and get through while at the school house. Speaking from my own military career experiences good luck trying to stick to it once you are assigned to an operational unit especially one that is forward deployed. As for the availability of a Jewish Chaplains yes they exist but I can count on one hand how many times in 20 years one was assigned to the base I was stationed at.

Lets look at what the OP posted " first female Orthodox Yeshiva student to go to West Point" this is not a regular career choice for these students. Flexibility of the faith or athletes who live vegetarian are not the issue the story is about an Orthodox Yeshiva graduate, one who keeps kosher take those away and she is a graduate who got accepted to West Point, end of story.
The Yeshiva is (Modern) Orthodox, not the graduate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 08:50 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
The Yeshiva is (Modern) Orthodox, not the graduate.
Then the Times story is moot, she's a soon to be graduate who got accepted to West Point..

Old 05-01-2015, 08:57 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Then the Times story is moot, she's a soon to be graduate who got accepted to West Point..
Yep, thumbs up to anyone who gets accepted there, they are all very impressive young men and women.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:04 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times
Good for her! Great to hear a story like this.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:12 AM

Quote:
You know what, best of luck to her maybe she will be able to live eating a vegetarian diet and get through while at the school house. Speaking from my own military career experiences good luck trying to stick to it once you are assigned to an operational unit especially one that is forward deployed. As for the availability of a Jewish Chaplains yes they exist but I can count on one hand how many times in 20 years one was assigned to the base I was stationed at.

Lets look at what the OP posted " first female Orthodox Yeshiva student to go to West Point" this is not a regular career choice for these students. Flexibility of the faith or athletes who live vegetarian are not the issue the story is about an Orthodox Yeshiva graduate, one who keeps kosher take those away and she is a graduate who got accepted to West Point, end of story.
Also a vet here VA, don't know when you served but today's military will probably bend over backwards to accommodate her in most cases. As for forward deployments I'm sure she will do what she has to do, and that she's well aware it may be tough or impossible to observe in all situations.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:14 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
It's tough being a Jew. You look right, and you get criticized for ignoring the left. You look left, and people suspect that your up to no good for not looking right. Either way, I think this a great accomplishment. Mazel Tov!
Yes the poor oppressed Jews that are the most successful ethnic group in the west.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:32 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Quote:

Well, I agree with you in that West Point is not a common career choice for students from those schools and that is the main point of the story. But others have pointed out the obstacles to that type of career and my point is that one can maintain their relgious beliefs because there is some pliability, yet maintain their other patriotic secular beliefs in a desire to serve their country. It's been done before in various branches of the military and it is possible. We also do not know what kind of assignment she will eventually have plus I had heard from others that her intent was to eventually go to medical school. And again, I was pointing out to you that she attended a modern orthodox school, which is not the same type of education that students from the upstate Satmar communties receive. You were the one to lump her in with the Monsey crowd and something tells me since you appear to be fairly unfamilar with Judiasm, that you had little exposure to Orthodox Jews, or were not privy or aware how they maintained religious continuity during your deployment, if you did have interactment with observant Jews at all during your service. Still, we are all very grateful for your sacrifices for your service. From the article, it sounds as if the student's school is very proud of her nor are they discouraging her from attending West Point because of any relgious conflict. Remember, as a West Point grad, she will have certain options that may have not been available to you. Also, if you ever get a chance to visit West Point, there is a very famous Jewish Chapel for West Point Cadets and there is a student organization, as well. Office of Chaplains - Jewish Chapel

Old 05-02-2015, 01:36 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Yep, thumbs up to anyone who gets accepted there, they are all very impressive young men and women.
It's an amazing accomplishment for anyone. Many of our Long Islanders get acceptances to Ivy League colleges, but much fewer for West Point, the US Naval Academy, or US Air Force Academy.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:30 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,989,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
It's an amazing accomplishment for anyone. Many of our Long Islanders get acceptances to Ivy League colleges, but much fewer for West Point, the US Naval Academy, or US Air Force Academy.
I think fewer LIers are pushing for their kids to go into the military.

Old 05-02-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
I think fewer LIers are pushing for their kids to go into the military.
Agreed I think it's the almost complete lack of a military presence on LI. Out of sight out of mind which is sad. Where I used to live in FL it was ingrained in the culture (lived near an AF base), all high schools had jrotc programs and every other kid was a military brat. Service academy congressional nomination slots were very fiercely competed for, and it seemed every graduating class had at least one going to a service academy, they were every bit as revered as an Ivy League admission if not more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island