Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 05:57 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,762,067 times

Advertisements

KB ; Thats where my son wants to go. Right now he is in catholic school and loves it.

I ahve heard the same from parents about Chaminade

d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 06:38 AM

659 posts, read 2,508,617 times
I graduated from Sacred Heart Academy and my brother graduated from Chaminade. there is nothing like a private school education. I opened so many doors for me and the education I received was so much better than public school. The people who knock private school have never experienced it. It's not this scary place...although I did not enjoy the uniforms too much.

I am currently a high school public school teacher in a great district on Long Island...I can not believe how inferior the education is compared to what I received only 10 years ago in high school. Public school education overall is not challenging and discipline is really non-existant. Also the kids are much more disrespectful than at private school.

Although the public school system is not terrible...when I do have children..I would definately send them to private school.

(Also my mom teaches at Kellenberg...it is now a great school since the Marianist Brothers from Chaminade took over).

Old 04-27-2008, 09:44 AM

2 posts, read 9,143 times
Default Chaminade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
I agree that a public education on long island is much better than most public schools in the nation. Many of my neighbors kids have gone to great schools from Holy Cross to Cornell.

I disagree, as a grad from Chaminade, being a graduate of that school help has help me more that I could ever discribe. worth every cent. Its not for everyone, but Chaminade will take you far.

A good and motivated student will do great no matter where they attend
I also agree--You go to Chaminade doors will open for you! Companies see Chaminade they are more interested and the alumni helps as well.

Some students need a little push, something they get in some of the Catholic or Private Schools here on Long Island. Other students who are independently motivated and disciplined can do very well in any school.

I’m a Catholic school graduate—I wouldn’t change it for the world. I loved it. Best years of my life. For those who haven’t experienced it—you really shouldn’t judge. It’s not nuns cracking rulers on you knuckles.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:30 AM

563 posts, read 2,563,812 times
I graduated from Kellenberg and was a teacher there for four years. My best friend is also a graduate and still teaches there. My brother started as an
8th grader in the Latin School and graduated as well. I have a cousin who went to Chaminade. The Marianist brothers run both schools and they run a tight ship. I had no problems with the school from either side of the desk and a student will get a great education and have an opportunity to get involved in countless activities/sports. But catholic school is a choice and it will give back whatever a student wants to get out of it. Some students prefer their public school because it is close, friends go there, is good academically/extra-curricularly. Good luck overall. Its a safe bet for quality if thats what you are concerned about.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:42 PM

45 posts, read 88,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn11 View Post
Can anyone tell me about Kellenburg Latin School.
I can tell you about Kellenberg High School and believe me when I say it was the worst school I've ever been to in my entire life! The teachers in that school were better than the teachers I had in the public high school I graduated from but the teachers in that school are also insanely strict. I'll give you some examples so you'll understand where I'm coming from with this: I had an English teacher who would assign four or five different homework assignments a night, I would show up with three of the four or four of the five somedays and she would tell me I needed to stay after school for detention. I must've had detention from this one teacher at least once a week while I was there it was so horrible. Another thing I can tell you is that if you didn't go to detention from the original teacher you had detention from, then you had to serve detention with the principal, and they would have you write until you're arm was ready to fall off. After detention with the principal you were then given two demerits on top of everything else you already went through.

One other example I can give you as to how strict the school is is that if you have six or more people sitting at your lunch table, they will make you stay after lunch period to clean up things off the floor. You won't be given any brooms, or mops, or vacuums, or anything like that they expect you to clean stuff off the floor with your bare hands! It is the most disgusting, degrading, dehumanizing thing that this school does to it's students! The students in Kellenberg are treated worse than sweat shop workers if you want my honest opinion on that miserable place. Not only did I have to stay after lunch period but I was late for my next class because of this and my teacher would always ask me why I was late for class. Because this garbage school is making me stay after lunch to clean stuff off the floor is why I'm late for class, maybe if they didn't have that rule in place I could get to class on time for once! Seriously that was annoying and inconvenient to deal with every time.

The students in that school were the most ignorant, intolerant, close minded, stuck up, cliquish people I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with. The students were the worst part about that school because of how nasty and vicious they were. You think people in public schools are bad, believe me people in catholic schools can be just as bad if not worse. The public high school that I graduated from, Lawrence High School in Cedarhurst was so much better. Students were so much nicer, and more accepting in that school it was such a breath of fresh air compared to how Kellenberg was. Some other problems with Kellenberg are that it's over the top with it's religious beliefs as well. It's like that school is trying to brainwash you with their beliefs, I wouldn't be surprised if Kellenberg works for Pat Robertson they are so over the top with their WWJD propaganda that they shove in their student's faces. I'm not lying to you when I say that those WWJD stickers are all over the walls, the doors, the bulletin boards, even on student's lockers it's just too much to look at. Honestly I think you're better off going to public school rather than spending extra money to go to Kellenberg. Believe me when I say it's not worth the money, there's no famous alumni or famous faculty that ever graduated from this school. The only famous alumni they have is some broad who works for the Food Network and that's it. I can't say to you enough that you don't want to come here you will hate it trust me.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:49 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,042,842 times
Bit of advice for you...dont think of joining the Marine Corp.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:19 PM

703 posts, read 1,168,326 times
Wow, WildHellCat that is crazy. Way too authoritarian for my taste. I guess some people like it.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:56 PM

791 posts, read 1,615,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyLI View Post
Wow, WildHellCat that is crazy. Way too authoritarian for my taste. I guess some people like it.
Did you even read her post? She got punished for (a) not doing her homework; (b) skipping detention that she was given for not doing her homework; and (c) not cleaning up after herself after lunch. I'm really not seeing a problem here (well, not a problem with the school, anyway).

Last edited by InfoSeeker52; 10-10-2013 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 10-11-2013, 05:14 AM

562 posts, read 1,052,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
In terms of drugs or violence, the private schools have the upper hand as they can expell a student whereas the public schools are obligated by law to retain the student (after the situation is properly addressed.)
Money often buys you out of most trouble in Catholic schools.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:58 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,639,918 times
WildHellCat is off her/his rocker. I know many people who went in the past (sisters) and currently attend (neighbors), they have nothing but good things to say about the school. Sure, it's a Catholic school, so you can't just get up and walk around the classroom whenever you feel like it, no chewing gum, no interrupting a speaker, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island