Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 02:48 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,161 times

Advertisements

In terms of violent and property crimes per capita, Westbury is below both the National and the New York median. Get a grip, you're in Nassau County not Medellin. This consternation about imminent gang warfare is laughable. You make it sound like Escape from LA or Return to the Thunderdome.

The complaints about burnt out street lights and photos of an empty vodka bottle are absurd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 04:32 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,765,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
In terms of violent and property crimes per capita, Westbury is below both the National and the New York median. Get a grip, you're in Nassau County not Medellin. This consternation about imminent gang warfare is laughable. You make it sound like Escape from LA or Return to the Thunderdome.

The complaints about burnt out street lights and photos of an empty vodka bottle are absurd.
Why is it absurd? Would you be fine and dandy with gang tags all over your community? No it's not south central LA but he has every right to be concerned about gang activity in the community that he lives. And newsflash: gangs do operate in westbury and neighboring new cassel this isn't a new development by any stretch. Just because you don't like JIWs rants (this is a bit different from litter in the street) dosent mean this isn't a real issue.

Last edited by peconic117; 05-11-2015 at 04:41 PM..

Old 05-11-2015, 04:44 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,029,976 times
I am as upset as the OP is about this. The graffiti should be covered up. I would not want to see that.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:54 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post

Oh please.
Sure Westbury is much better than the nation's most dangerous cities, its even still significantly better than Hempstead, but it doesn't make gang related graffiti acceptable.
Remember that graffiti that is not cleaned up immediately WILL reflect negatively on the community, especially as people drive through and see it not being cleaned up.
Which is why the response of the Village was laughable. There are always ordinances on the books that graffiti must be removed within 72 hours.
Some places have removed it, surprise, surprise the places that haven't yet are all bodegas for the most part. And thats what upsets me the most, day after day it goes on and doesn't get removed. They tagged The Space months ago (in the back) and it STILL hasn't been removed.
Like the other poster said, the longer it stays up it emboldens the gangs more to "own it", and the sad thing is these gangbangers already walk around town like they own it.
There's no place for criminals in this community. If the Village Government refuses to get rid of them, well guess what, we'll elect a Village Government that does!

Old 05-11-2015, 05:36 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,905,353 times
I rather see Gang Graffiti than pictures&flyers of Kate Murray..that's for sure

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 05-11-2015 at 06:18 PM..

Old 05-11-2015, 06:15 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,765,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
I rather see Gang Graffiti than pictures/flyers of Kate Murray..that's for sure
Well I think everyone can agree with that!

Old 05-11-2015, 06:20 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,290,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Looks like surenos 13 is trying to move in on MS and 18th street territory. John you have to understand there is zero the NCPD or the village can do about deporting any illegal gang members, it's all the federal government and right now it's de facto amnesty unless you commit a major crime (even warrants of deportation are being ignored). It's a sad situation. They just don't have the political will to enforce immigration law.
But the Federal Government (ICE) did come in here to do joint raids in Hempstead and other parts of Nassau a couple of years ago. What did the local cops (Hempstead Village and NCPD) do? ***** and moan and complain and accuse ICE of a load of crap and said they never want ICE to come back and try to help them.

So I think we won't be seeing ICE rushing here to help with the gang/illegal alien problem anytime soon.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
I rather see Gang Graffiti than pictures&flyers of Kate Murray..that's for sure
Yeah we will be seeing a lot of political graffiti emblazoned with her face ... and her BS!

Old 05-11-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Like I said it's an uphill battle. Very unnerving seeing this all along Post Ave. And this isn't even all of it. I think some of this happened in broad daylight since alot of it wasn't there this morning.
As you can imagine, I feel quite trapped with nowhere to turn to except here. I already emailed the Mayor about it and will contact NCPD too. Freakin illegal gangbanger garbage, please deport them and dump them south of the border where they belong. So sick of dealing with this garbage!
Trust me "North Bellmore" is still a PICNIC compared to this area.
The problem is the normal citizens and the politicians in Westbury are a bunch of wussies.

No graffiti in my Village. And if little shrimpy jackoffs came along and tried it, certain people would lie in wait for them and beat the crap out of them and spray them all over with their own spray paint. And don't start talking "they will shoot you." They are not dragging guns around and chance being rousted by the police when they're only going out to spray paint graffiti. Remember the story I told of what happened with the drug dealer who thought he'd inflict himself on our community? People have to protect their communities against these dirtbags and sometimes the results are better if you go "an eye for an eye." Then they learn. Fast.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Yup I've seen MS13, Surenos, and 18th st tags in Westbury. The scary thing is you know these guys have a turf war and worry about getting caught in the crossfire.
I tried to move, I am having no luck finding anywhere in a better neighborhood, many options are even worse than where I am now!
I may have to eventually leave Long Island if the only options for me is living somewhere infested with illegals & crime.
Its not like I'm only looking at the Bellmore area, I'll consider Farmingdale, Bethpage, even Mineola at this point are all still much better options than Westbury. And yes even Valley Stream looks better at this point as well.
If I stay here something bad is going to happen...
Oh how flattering!

What makes YOU look down on Valley Stream?

It has plenty of public transport (3 LIRR stations and numerous buses, including the N4 which runs all the time) that you are always complaining about a lack of. And certain neighborhoods are very walkable for people who don't drive (another thing you complain about).

Well, maybe YOU don't look too good to be a Valley Stream resident.

Anyway, the Village does not have contracts with "programs" (i.e., Section 8) either. It's pay the rent yourself or become an unwed mother and have the government shower you will every kind of assistance there is and don't lift a finger for it. Too bad you don't have the anatomy!

Why not try Rockville Centre? Their government has contracts with programs like Section 8 ... maybe even your program. They also have the PJs, but I have to be honest with you, it's already full of gangbangers and drug dealers, just not the Hispanic ones who are causing trouble by you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island