Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 06:57 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Oh how flattering!

What makes YOU look down on Valley Stream?

It has plenty of public transport (3 LIRR stations and numerous buses, including the N4 which runs all the time) that you are always complaining about a lack of. And certain neighborhoods are very walkable for people who don't drive (another thing you complain about).

Well, maybe YOU don't look too good to be a Valley Stream resident.

Anyway, the Village does not have contracts with "programs" (i.e., Section 8) either. It's pay the rent yourself or become an unwed mother and have the government shower you will every kind of assistance there is and don't lift a finger for it. Too bad you don't have the anatomy!

Why not try Rockville Centre? Their government has contracts with programs like Section 8 ... maybe even your program. They also have the PJs, but I have to be honest with you, it's already full of gangbangers and drug dealers, just not the Hispanic ones who are causing trouble by you.
I only said that at about VS because its so far SW compared to the rest of the county and I'm not as familiar with that area as areas in the eastern half of the county. Otherwise it reminds me of Great Neck Plaza & Floral Park, nice, well kept towns.
Of course Valley Stream has an advantage over the other two with better train (and bus) service. I would definitely consider living there and recommend it. I like that nice park off Hicks St...alot of parks around!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 07:03 PM

874 posts, read 728,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Like I said it's an uphill battle. Very unnerving seeing this all along Post Ave. And this isn't even all of it. I think some of this happened in broad daylight since alot of it wasn't there this morning.
As you can imagine, I feel quite trapped with nowhere to turn to except here. I already emailed the Mayor about it and will contact NCPD too. Freakin illegal gangbanger garbage, please deport them and dump them south of the border where they belong. So sick of dealing with this garbage!
Trust me "North Bellmore" is still a PICNIC compared to this area.

well Manhattan and place in Brooklyn, very nice and expensive place are filled with graffiti and gang graffiti...

that doesnt stop people from living there or walking around at night.

Is anyone getting there house robbed or car stolen around your neighborhood? Are there home invasions? Daily murders? assaults? Rapes?

its probably just some 15 year old kid. It might not even be an illegal alien...

N.Y. yeshiva student admits to writing anti-Semitic graffiti | Jewish Telegraphic Agency

A Long Island yeshiva student was charged with repeatedly scrawling anti-Semitic graffiti inside a commuter train station.

Jonathan Schuster, 18, a senior at Priority-1: Torah Academy of Lawrence-Cedarhurst in Cedarhurst, N.Y.,was charged with the crimes on Thursday.

He admitted to using black marker to write anti-Semitic statements, often including expletives, on eight occasions since December 2012, police told Newsday.

The vandalism, at the Cedarhurst station of the Long Island Rail Road, mostly occurred at night, with the graffiti consisting of obscenities directed at Orthodox Jews scrawled on train platform billboards or station signs. On one occasion, a swastika was etched into the wall of a platform shelter.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:40 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
But the Federal Government (ICE) did come in here to do joint raids in Hempstead and other parts of Nassau a couple of years ago. What did the local cops (Hempstead Village and NCPD) do? ***** and moan and complain and accuse ICE of a load of crap and said they never want ICE to come back and try to help them.

So I think we won't be seeing ICE rushing here to help with the gang/illegal alien problem anytime soon.
Yes you are referring to operation return to sender back in 2007 which caused a lot of (ridiculous) controversy. A ton has happened since then including a new president and democrat administration that just issued a amnesty via executive order. The also 'prioritized' immigration enforcement with very high standards (you basically have to commit a violent crime or felony/national security risk) to be considered for arrest and removal. Just being a gang member and illegal isn't enough anymore, you now have to have a decent criminal record on top of it. Basically, Someone has to be victimized first for anything to be done. Really has nothing to do with ICE not wanting to help, they couldn't if they wanted to right now.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
well Manhattan and place in Brooklyn, very nice and expensive place are filled with graffiti and gang graffiti...

that doesnt stop people from living there or walking around at night.

Is anyone getting there house robbed or car stolen around your neighborhood? Are there home invasions? Daily murders? assaults? Rapes?

its probably just some 15 year old kid. It might not even be an illegal alien...

N.Y. yeshiva student admits to writing anti-Semitic graffiti | Jewish Telegraphic Agency

A Long Island yeshiva student was charged with repeatedly scrawling anti-Semitic graffiti inside a commuter train station.

Jonathan Schuster, 18, a senior at Priority-1: Torah Academy of Lawrence-Cedarhurst in Cedarhurst, N.Y.,was charged with the crimes on Thursday.

He admitted to using black marker to write anti-Semitic statements, often including expletives, on eight occasions since December 2012, police told Newsday.

The vandalism, at the Cedarhurst station of the Long Island Rail Road, mostly occurred at night, with the graffiti consisting of obscenities directed at Orthodox Jews scrawled on train platform billboards or station signs. On one occasion, a swastika was etched into the wall of a platform shelter.
Newsflash this isn't Brooklyn or NYC it's the suburbs, we prefer not to live amongst gang tags all over our towns/villages. Think of how ridiculous your statement is. So people should just smile and live with gang graffiti all over their town because there is some in NYC?? And no, you don't see gang tags all over park avenue and Brooklyn heights and if there were it would be quickly covered up. This isn't NYC in the 70s.

Yeah ok a 15 year old Jewish kid is spray painting surenos 13 tags in a known active gang area for fun.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:37 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,768 times
Quote:
Oh how flattering!

What makes YOU look down on Valley Stream?

It has plenty of public transport (3 LIRR stations and numerous buses, including the N4 which runs all the time) that you are always complaining about a lack of. And certain neighborhoods are very walkable for people who don't drive (another thing you complain about).

Well, maybe YOU don't look too good to be a Valley Stream resident.

Anyway, the Village does not have contracts with "programs" (i.e., Section 8) either. It's pay the rent yourself or become an unwed mother and have the government shower you will every kind of assistance there is and don't lift a finger for it. Too bad you don't have the anatomy!

Why not try Rockville Centre? Their government has contracts with programs like Section 8 ... maybe even your program. They also have the PJs, but I have to be honest with you, it's already full of gangbangers and drug dealers, just not the Hispanic ones who are causing trouble by you.
Rockville Centre is filled with gangbangers and drug dealers. Ok.

RVC averages less than 1/5 of the National and New York medians for violent and property crimes. Bring your delusions about these Nassau County areas taking a page out of 80s Bedford-Stuyvesant somewhere else. Sperling's rated the Nassau-Suffolk area as the safest Metro area (population 500,000+) in the country, despite the fact that it includes Roosevelt, Hempstead and Wyandanch.

The claims made on this site are preposterous and are a function of either total delusion or having been completely sheltered. While cyber-crimes and fraud are up, violent crimes are at historically low levels and have been for nearly a decade across the US, including Nassau County.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Rockville Centre is filled with gangbangers and drug dealers. Ok.

RVC averages less than 1/5 of the National and New York medians for violent and property crimes. Bring your delusions about these Nassau County areas taking a page out of 80s Bedford-Stuyvesant somewhere else. Sperling's rated the Nassau-Suffolk area as the safest Metro area (population 500,000+) in the country, despite the fact that it includes Roosevelt, Hempstead and Wyandanch.

The claims made on this site are preposterous and are a function of either total delusion or having been completely sheltered. While cyber-crimes and fraud are up, violent crimes are at historically low levels and have been for nearly a decade across the US, including Nassau County.

No gangs or drug dealers in RVC huh?

FBI: Gang raid in Rockville Centre - Newsday

http://www.liherald.com/stories/Rock..._type=&town_id=

And RVC has also had issues with DDP (Dominicans don't play) in the past as well:

http://patch.com/new-york/rockvillec...-burtis-avenue

Old 05-12-2015, 08:32 AM

874 posts, read 728,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Newsflash this isn't Brooklyn or NYC it's the suburbs, we prefer not to live amongst gang tags all over our towns/villages. Think of how ridiculous your statement is. So people should just smile and live with gang graffiti all over their town because there is some in NYC?? And no, you don't see gang tags all over park avenue and Brooklyn heights and if there were it would be quickly covered up. This isn't NYC in the 70s.

Yeah ok a 15 year old Jewish kid is spray painting surenos 13 tags in a known active gang area for fun.
Well i think all of you are over reacting. There is no gang war going on. Its not a gang area.

Show me anything in the last 3 month's to show me

Drive by by gangs

Gang assaults

Rapes committed by gangs

Or any kind of thing that proves there is some notorious gang operationing in your neighborhood

Its most likely some 15 year old kid. Not. A gang of 25-30 Year old hard core tattoo gangster thugs running around beating people up like in the movie warrior's

now they should fine the business for not clearing the graffiti or place cameras around

Old 05-12-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
Well i think all of you are over reacting. There is no gang war going on. Its not a gang area.

Show me anything in the last 3 month's to show me

Drive by by gangs

Gang assaults

Rapes committed by gangs

Or any kind of thing that proves there is some notorious gang operationing in your neighborhood

Its most likely some 15 year old kid. Not. A gang of 25-30 Year old hard core tattoo gangster thugs running around beating people up like in the movie warrior's

now they should fine the business for not clearing the graffiti or place cameras around
Gang related crimes happen all the time in these areas (mostly narcotics related), most never hit the papers. Shows you how much you know about gangs 25-30 years old is way above the average age for a typical gang member (especially Hispanic gangs) which are usually late teens to early 20's. An impressionable 15 year old "kid" can kill, assault or rob just as easy as a 30 year old.

Here is a machete attack that occurred in 2013:

Four charged in apparent machete attack - Newsday

Regardless no one is saying Westbury is East New York, or South Central LA with drive by shootings, daily murders etc. a constant fear. Far from it. But documented gang activity does occur in the westbury/new cassel area, and it is a legitimate cause for concern, at minimum it is a quality of life issue for the residents who live there.

Last edited by peconic117; 05-12-2015 at 09:12 AM..

Old 05-12-2015, 09:34 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,768 times
You are citing a few gang arrests (some for crimes committed outside of the Village) from nearly 5 years ago to support your position that Rockville Centre is a hotbed of gang violence?

According to the 2014 RVC annual report:

"The Village remains a very safe and sound community. 2014 saw a continuation of record low crime statistics experienced in 2013 ... In 2013 the Village hit an all-time low in major crime in the Village with a total of 146 major incidents being reported to the police. In 2014 there were 114; a decrease of 22%. There were nine residential
burglaries for the year as opposed to 15 in 2013. There were a total of 2 homicides in 2013 (one being a vehicular homicide) and none in 2014."

The per capita crime is less than a quarter of the State and National averages. It is hardly a hotbed of gang activity. Enough with the hyperbole.

Are there no gang members or drug dealers in Rockville Centre? Of course not. But name a community that has

no gang members or drug dealers. Are drugs or gangs any type of problem in Rockville Centre? Not remotely.

This is an absurd discussion. Rockville Centre is statistically one of the safest communities in the country. Your argument is buffoonery.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
You are citing a few gang arrests (some for crimes committed outside of the Village) from nearly 5 years ago to support your position that Rockville Centre is a hotbed of gang violence?

According to the 2014 RVC annual report:

"The Village remains a very safe and sound community. 2014 saw a continuation of record low crime statistics experienced in 2013 ... In 2013 the Village hit an all-time low in major crime in the Village with a total of 146 major incidents being reported to the police. In 2014 there were 114; a decrease of 22%. There were nine residential
burglaries for the year as opposed to 15 in 2013. There were a total of 2 homicides in 2013 (one being a vehicular homicide) and none in 2014."

The per capita crime is less than a quarter of the State and National averages. It is hardly a hotbed of gang activity. Enough with the hyperbole.

Are there no gang members or drug dealers in Rockville Centre? Of course not. But name a community that has

no gang members or drug dealers. Are drugs or gangs any type of problem in Rockville Centre? Not remotely.

This is an absurd discussion. Rockville Centre is statistically one of the safest communities in the country. Your argument is buffoonery.

When did I ever say RVC was a "hotbed of gang activity" I simply said it exists, and that there are gangs based there. The section 8 projects at Old Mill have always been home to a set of the Bloods and yes that is inside the village. They caused enough issues to have the FBI gang task force do a major takedown there. You seemed to completely dismiss that RVC ever had any gang or drug issues at all. Sorry I blew your argument to pieces.

Yes crime is low there I get it, but that doesn't make the village gang free either. And yes there are plenty of communities on LI that have virtually no gang activity whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island