Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 01:37 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,907 times

Advertisements

I just moved to the suburbs and this tipping the garbage man is new to me.

How does one actually give the money to the garbage man if you are off at work?
If you put the tip on the garbage, can't anyone just grab it?

The only service person I have seen so far since moving is the UPS guy, because he usually comes by around 7pm and I'm home by that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 02:08 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,990,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I just moved to the suburbs and this tipping the garbage man is new to me.

How does one actually give the money to the garbage man if you are off at work?
If you put the tip on the garbage, can't anyone just grab it?

The only service person I have seen so far since moving is the UPS guy, because he usually comes by around 7pm and I'm home by that time.
I don't tip the UPS guy. I get different guys who deliver for UPS.

My relatives give their card to a neighbor who will deliver it to the garbage men. The neighbor makes sure they know it's from my relatives. And the card will say Happy Holidays from The Smiths at #1 Main Street, just to make sure they know.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:09 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,990,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
We quit tipping the mail "person" as she's a dyslexic idiot who screws up the mail delivery almost every other day. The trash collectors get $60 to split at Christmas. I could put my mother in law at the curb and they'd take her.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:52 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
I used to tip my "regular" UPS guy because he'd do nice things like put big packages on the back porch under the eaves, out of view and protected from the weather. Plus we ordered nearly everything from Amazon so he was around almost every day or so. Never did for FedEx. Gave a small gift to the USPS lady even though she came from the same dyslexia school (and the Stevie Wonder school of driving).

Gave DD gift cards to the kids' bus drivers, lawn people and teachers. Maybe not required, but always appreciated.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:17 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,329,322 times
Tipping can be taken to mean an act of charity or the implication that the recipient is "less than" the giver. An exception can be when the recipient went above and beyond what they are paid to do (ie. a concierge finds, buys, and has delivered a hard to find item).

Old 05-13-2015, 01:29 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
Tipping can be taken to mean an act of charity or the implication that the recipient is "less than" the giver. An exception can be when the recipient went above and beyond what they are paid to do (ie. a concierge finds, buys, and has delivered a hard to find item).
I don't know how worldly you are but in my own experience Long Island has tipping expectations and common practices that I've never seen elsewhere outside of India.

When it's clear that the guy delivering your furniture or appliances is looking for a tip it's getting to be a bit much.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:11 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
The trash collectors get $60 to split at Christmas. I could put my mother in law at the curb and they'd take her.
ROFLMAO, I wish I had that option......

Old 05-14-2015, 09:32 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I don't know how worldly you are but in my own experience Long Island has tipping expectations and common practices that I've never seen elsewhere outside of India.

When it's clear that the guy delivering your furniture or appliances is looking for a tip it's getting to be a bit much.
I recently bought tons of furniture for my new house. The delivery guys had to lift and assemble many heavy pieces of furniture. I know its their job and they get paid, but I still felt they deserved a tip, especially in this crappy economy. Nothing wrong with trickle down economy.

The only time I refuse to tip is the tip jar when you do take out. Call me a cheap bastard, but I refuse to give a tip when I'm bringing the food home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island