Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 03:44 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,989,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIHR View Post
I'll bet you any amount of money your so called "Cheap, licensed insured guy" is not even close to running a legitimate business.

and cash to a legitimate business never lessons a price of a project, ever.
OP asked for a guy, I gave him a guy. I hate when people get upset that Hispanics are creating legit companies and coming in with cheaper estimates.

Cash always lessens any project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 05:40 PM

397 posts, read 515,963 times
I understand it's easy to throw a few hundred or even a few thousand into a drawer and hide it from the IRS. Homeowner saves a few bucks and contractor saves on the income tax. Free money all around, right?

It's illegal though, plain and simple.

Or maybe I'm just the only dumbass that pays his taxes.

Old 06-06-2015, 06:42 PM

186 posts, read 243,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
OP asked for a guy, I gave him a guy. I hate when people get upset that Hispanics are creating legit companies and coming in with cheaper estimates.

Cash always lessens any project.

You're the one who is upset not me. You're the one that mentioned "Hispanic" not me, I just repeated what you said. Why do people need to categorize/segregate Americans into groups? Just say I know a guy, business owner, etc..

Let's say a project sell price is 16K. What percent lower will it be if somebody offers me cash?

Tell me what business costs are magically lowered if someone hands me cash instead of a check?

Old 06-06-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
You're the one who is upset not me. You're the one that mentioned "Hispanic" not me, I just repeated what you said. Why do people need to categorize/segregate Americans into groups? Just say I know a guy, business owner, etc..

Let's say a project sell price is 16K. What percent lower will it be if somebody offers me cash?

Tell me what business costs are magically lowered if someone hands me cash instead of a check?
Hmm...how can you bet me that this cheap priced guy isn't legit, licensed or insured?

You wagered he's not legit because I mentioned he's Hispanic. If you can't be honest on the board, at least be honest with yourself.

I'm not upset. I mentioned he's Hispanic because people have come back to me, upset that I recommended an Hispanic person. Apparently, people are ok with them cutting their lawns but not doing low priced construction.

In the real world, there are cash prices.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:48 PM

755 posts, read 1,080,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJS Alex View Post
I understand it's easy to throw a few hundred or even a few thousand into a drawer and hide it from the IRS. Homeowner saves a few bucks and contractor saves on the income tax. Free money all around, right?

I know its been said before. But there's no small business owner that follows the tax law to the dot. Some contractors choose to offer cash pricing. When I say some, from my limited experience its all. And then there's others that will circumvent the sales tax law. How many contractors used their sales tax exemption and use the material to fix the bathroom in their own house. Guess what, you knowingly broke the law.

Most small business owner cheats. Most of them finds gray area loop holes or tax write offs. I'm not in the industry, but I'm sure there's plenty of creative ways.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:56 PM

755 posts, read 1,080,411 times
Quote:

Costs of material. I've had to pay for a lot of the material directly and even had to negotiate some of them. Cash price on material is significantly lower.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:17 AM

397 posts, read 515,963 times

Old 06-07-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJS Alex View Post

I'm not going to ask you to admit or deny anything.

But let's suppose a contractor is installing one window, or a front door, or a through the wall A/C...Alex...you're telling me people are going to claim that?

Old 12-04-2015, 11:14 PM

18 posts, read 29,817 times
So anyway, this topic got way off track....I'm looking to get my unfinished basement finished, & add a bathroom. Does anyone recommend a contractor? Heard good reviews about one? Thanks.

Old 12-05-2015, 12:10 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jingobah View Post
So anyway, this topic got way off track....I'm looking to get my unfinished basement finished, & add a bathroom. Does anyone recommend a contractor? Heard good reviews about one? Thanks.
sending you a DM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island