Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 06:22 AM

397 posts, read 515,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Don't for get worker comp insurance for contractors is extremely high.
A handyman working for $250/day isn't paying workers comp. They're not likely paying taxes either. If they were, they'd be lucky to take home $150/day.

I understand City-Data homeowners just dont care about that... It's just about the bottom line. I dont need that argument again. I realized a long time ago that they're just not my type of customer.

What sets me off all the time though is when I read here that the legitimate quotes from proper businesses are looked at as ludicrous, and contractors are all just a bunch of crooks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 06:33 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,158,870 times
I did my 400 square foot basement for around 30k. Included gut, new bathroom, laundry room, electrical, sumpump and main room.

But my "basement" was already finished but very dated and it is only a basement as it is one step down and definition of a basement is all four sides below ground level, in my case only 12 inches so the whole egress stuff did not apply.

But at that price I was heavily involved in project. At 50K it would be turnkey like on TV. And that was a price from three years ago. My guy would tack on at least 10K now.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:25 AM

755 posts, read 1,080,411 times
A Handyman isn't required to purchase Worker's Comp or disability. And 1 over 2 mil insurance policy will cost about a grand. So its not expensive for a one man operation to be legal.

Whether or not they are paying their fair share of taxes, my guess, probably not. And I would say probably 100% of handymen who charge daily rates between 175-275 is not paying any taxes.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:52 AM

755 posts, read 1,080,411 times
In 2014 I paid 10K to finish my basement (maybe about 600 sq ft, no floors/electric), put in a new full bath with a sump pump, moved the laundry machines with plumbing, dropped ceiling and poured a 300sq ft 4" thick cement patio at the basement entrance. This was done including all material except toilet & vanity.

If I was to rate the workmanship, the framing, drywall & mudding would rate a B.
Plumbing Work C-
Tiling Work C

I've had a leak and a venting issue, but they came back out and repaired at no additional costs.

You get what you paid for. I live with the annoying mistakes that they made But if I had to save another 40-50K, I would still have no useable basement right now. So I have no regrets, its just a basement.

What I learned, if you're going cheap, you need to do a lot of reading to learn how to do things the right way and find the time to micro manage the job.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:29 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJS Alex View Post
A handyman working for $250/day isn't paying workers comp. They're not likely paying taxes either. If they were, they'd be lucky to take home $150/day.

I understand City-Data homeowners just don't care about that... It's just about the bottom line. I dont need that argument again. I realized a long time ago that they're just not my type of customer.

What sets me off all the time though is when I read here that the legitimate quotes from proper businesses are looked at as ludicrous, and contractors are all just a bunch of crooks.
I was actually somewhat impressed that my contractor offered no "cash discount" and had no issue with me writing checks vs. cash and that the checks were made out to a real business rather than "cash". It was refreshing.

It drives me crazy that I'm effectively taxed at nearly 50%, while others view our tax system as optional. I wonder how large this shadow economy is, and how much tax revenue the government is not capturing as a result.

The funny thing is, we have a very progressive tax system and these handymen don't make a ton of money, and really would not owe much in taxes. I wonder if they realize that, as a result of not reporting their income, they are giving up their eligibility for Social Security, disability and Medicare.

With the bigger contractors, I intellectually understand understating income (I still find it abhorrent).

Old 02-10-2016, 09:04 AM

2 posts, read 1,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post

What I learned, if you're going cheap, you need to do a lot of reading to learn how to do things the right way and find the time to micro manage the job.
Couldn't be more accurate! I'm learning way more than I ever wanted to about the proper way to get things done.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:11 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,196 times
Ours believe it or not is still busy from Sandy. Not to mention the high tides of yesterday & today! Got enough work for the rest of the year!! LOts of flooding on South Shore. As we have flipping (still) some flooded by Sandy that still recent went on auction block so still lots of basements looking for repairs on LI.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:16 AM

88 posts, read 126,314 times
Hey Gibson Station, you need to realize most of these handymen are not looking to retire here in the US, but rather take our money to THEIR COUNTRY. This is what was explained to me by one of these handymen/day laborer's. The guy actually said to me he was building a home in HIS COUNTRY so he can go and retire. THEY DO NOT CARE about social security, just what they can get today.

Just make sure you do not hire one of these handymen because if they get hurt in your home guess who is going to pay for it. Handymen, day laborer, illegal or not have the same rights to sue just as a legal US citizen. If you think you are getting a bargain by hiring handymen/day laborer's think twice. An illegal day laborer just got an insurance settlement for an injury in the tune of $750K. Only allow people in your home that carry Workers Compensation and liability insurance. The honest contractor has to pay for insurance and pays his taxes. These poor hard working day laborers (SARCASTIC) need to feed their families so they don't pay taxes so they can send it back to their homeland and build homes so they can retire. Oh please, enough with the hard workers and that no one wants to do their jobs, hey wasn't it the Chinese, Blacks, Italians that build railroads, dug the ditches and built the skyscrapers. Who felt sorry for them. This is the new thing the poor hardworking laborers. I have worked my rear off since I was a kid of 12 years old. Nobody felt sorry for me. I can keep going on and on, but we are allowing illegal individuals dictate how we the legals must do our business here in OUR COUNTRY the USA.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:13 PM

300 posts, read 553,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingtoli View Post
I know this is an old thread but did you ever find a good contractor at a good price. I'm looking to finish about 400 sq ft of basement. Need to insulate, frame, drywall and put in lights. No plumbing, no bath, no bar. Nothing fancy.

Both quotes were around $50k. A neighbor has a similar situation and got a similar quote from a 3rd contractor.

Where are you finding guys that will do it for around $10k? Please let me know.

50k is pretty high if there is no bathroom or plumbing work. Not sure where you are located or when you are looking to get the work done but I can probably recommend several decent licensed guys who are below 50k. Send me a DM, if you want recommendations.

Just some questions for fun. Did 50k include paint? What type of flooring is included? Drop ceiling or drywall?

Old 02-11-2016, 02:56 AM

63 posts, read 152,277 times
Drywall ceiling and paint. Floor typ didn't make much difference in cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island