Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 05:08 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
Its sickening that if it fails they go after the sports and programs before salaries.

Look, the "vote" is really a vote in name only. You really have no choice. It's a feel good measure, not even sure why they bother - oh right, it's another way to spend money. Get the polling place ready, pay the seniors to man the polling place (check your BOE meeting minutes to see what they get paid - most are former teachers) etc etc.

There's no way to cut salaries in the budget vote, that is a contractual obligation. Usually if a "no" vote happens it's just the people trying to send a message that they are fed up. And then it takes a while to turn that ship around, but it seems you are finally seeing it after a bunch failed 5 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 06:40 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,040 times
National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) Home Page, a part of the U.S. Department of Education

Financing public education.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:35 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
As long as my district goes above and beyond to stay under the 2% tax cap I vote yes.

And when I vote no I still lose because all the people that work within the school system have their brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles vote yes no matter what.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:12 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,067,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICDForumbites View Post
Voting yes and for the 1st time not holding my nose. My district has done backflips to contain costs. I'm actually voting yes on the budget and for all incumbents on the board. They are doing a great job. Why would I want the turmoil of a contingency budget when it doesn't even provide savings? The increase is less than 1%. Voting no will never reduce taxes. Killing the Triborough Amendment might. Good luck to all of us trying to make that happen.
The Triborough Amendment only allows for the continuation of a current contract after it expires. It affects NYC much more than LI; NYC was contractless for several years. Most districts on LI are not in the midst of contract negotiations, so the amendment in question is a moot point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
As long as my district goes above and beyond to stay under the 2% tax cap I vote yes.

And when I vote no I still lose because all the people that work within the school system have their brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles vote yes no matter what.
Interesting that you say that. I just spoke with a NYC teacher that lives on LI and votes No on the budget every year... and I spoke to several retirees that were decades removed from having children in a school system and voted Yes to protect their property values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island