Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 12:48 PM

9,923 posts, read 23,062,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linoob View Post
just curious on how you guys manage with half day k, do you send them to private k after that. the reason I'm asking that is if my wife starts a job too it is going to be tough with half day k
also does anybody know if hhh is also half day k
Currently, HHH has full day Kindergarten.

Here's a link to curriculum overviews:
Half Hollow Hills: Elementary Curriculum Overview pull page
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 03:27 PM

14 posts, read 14,779 times
thank you much...

Old 05-23-2015, 04:09 PM

721 posts, read 1,561,207 times
Harborfields has enrichment in the elementary school for next year. I'm sure we will go full day in 2016.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:14 PM

can you elaborate on "enrichment"? what does it mean? extended preK...

Old 05-23-2015, 08:56 PM

883 posts, read 3,710,078 times
Quote:
just curious on how you guys manage with half day k, do you send them to private k after that. the reason I'm asking that is if my wife starts a job too it is going to be tough with half day k
also does anybody know if hhh is also half day k
HHH has full day K with absolutely no plans to change that...in the half day K districts, most parents opt to do an enrichment program.

If both of you are working, I know HHH also offers an amazing before and after school program tailored to working parents. I believe before school starts at 8am and after school ends 6ish, but I'm not positive on the hours since I've never used it. But I have friends who use it daily and are very happy. I don't know if Harborfields offers something similar, but it definitely worth looking into if you both are working.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
can you elaborate on "enrichment"? what does it mean? extended preK...
It's usually an entirely separate, private program offered at various area schools (usually preschools). The curriculum varies based on the school. It's meant to supplement the work being done in half day K. My friends' experiences vary greatly- some say it's a waste of money when others say their kids learn more in enrichment than actual K. Regardless, your child will have 2 separate 'schools' to attend in K- that could be good or bad depending on your child.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner+2 View Post
Harborfields has enrichment in the elementary school for next year. I'm sure we will go full day in 2016.
It seems like they keep saying that- what's keeping them from going to full day K? Just because there isn't enough in the budget? Or some ideological difference? It just seems like half day K is a step back for so many of these kids- their preschool programs were practically as long as full day K! Not to mention that switching schools midday- having different teachers, different classmates, has got to be stressful for a lot of kids (though I'm sure some kids adapt just fine- and some may even like it). It just seems completely wacky to me in this day & age lol!

Old 05-24-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
HHH has full day K with absolutely no plans to change that...in the half day K districts, most parents opt to do an enrichment program.

If both of you are working, I know HHH also offers an amazing before and after school program tailored to working parents. I believe before school starts at 8am and after school ends 6ish, but I'm not positive on the hours since I've never used it. But I have friends who use it daily and are very happy. I don't know if Harborfields offers something similar, but it definitely worth looking into if you both are working.
thank you much for clarifying....I'm more inclined to choose HHH because of the full day K...

Old 05-24-2015, 09:17 AM

9,923 posts, read 23,062,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post

Yes, it's REACH CYA (I happen to be a long time volunteer Board member). They have great programs, even in the Summer.
Here's a link to their website: Regional Enrichment Agency | ReachCYA

Old 05-24-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Yes, it's REACH CYA (I happen to be a long time volunteer Board member). They have great programs, even in the Summer.
Here's a link to their website: Regional Enrichment Agency | ReachCYA
Yes that's it- I couldn't remember the name! I had no idea they had summer programs- will look into that! It seems like an amazing program- and I know it makes life so much easier for my friends who work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island