Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where to go?
North Baldwin- Poet Section 3 25.00%
Westbury- Sherwood Gardens "short sale" 3 25.00%
Pray to hit the lotto very soon! 6 50.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 08:58 PM

2 posts, read 3,227 times

Advertisements

N. Baldwin home is in the Poet Section with a 1 car garage, Westbury split level home is a short sale (which seems to be the trend in this town) in Sherwood Gardens. School system does not matter as I do not have or anticipate any children. I am aware of the 6g property tax difference, however I am leaning towards Westbury, due to the proximity of big box stores, RF Mall, LIE/NSP for my daily driving commute and ability to at least finally have both of my cars in the garage. However, I do like the diversity of Baldwin and the charm of the Poet Section homes.

Excluding the other towns in Nassau County, which one of these homes is worth it? Both are ~$350k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 09:18 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,906,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where2goInLI View Post
N. Baldwin home is in the Poet Section with a 1 car garage, Westbury split level home is a short sale (which seems to be the trend in this town) in Sherwood Gardens. School system does not matter as I do not have or anticipate any children. I am aware of the 6g property tax difference, however I am leaning towards Westbury, due to the proximity of big box stores, RF Mall, LIE/NSP for my daily driving commute and ability to at least finally have both of my cars in the garage. However, I do like the diversity of Baldwin and the charm of the Poet Section homes.

Excluding the other towns in Nassau County, which one of these homes is worth it? Both are ~$350k.
I would go for the N.Baldwin house.

Even though I personally love Westbury too, especially the section that you're looking at, you get so little back for the astronomical taxes that you pay. Why pay all of those taxes for the [crappy] public schools that you'll never use and for an ineffective village govt?

In Baldwin, you're still only 10 minutes away from the RF Mall so distance shouldn't be a problem unless you're a SEVERE shopaholic who has to constantly be there. And if you save that extra $6k/yr in taxes then you will probably be able to afford a larger house in Baldwin or elsewhere with a two-car garage...just some food for thought

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 05-23-2015 at 10:10 PM..

Old 05-24-2015, 12:15 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,475,610 times
I'm not familiar with Westbury, but I live in Baldwin and I really like that section of Baldwin. While I can't compare it to Westbury, I would definitely recommend Baldwin as a place to live.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:13 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,074 times
So which house did you go for? We are in a similar position - not sure how I feel about Westbury. There is definitely 1 poster on C-D who hates Westbury and bashes it all the time, but almost 90% of the homes I have seen in Westbury, particularly Salisbury area and Birchwood Knolls/Sherwood Gardens area - appear very good and we cant decide which to go with.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:32 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,320,744 times
Default You Got Me All Wrong, Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
So which house did you go for? We are in a similar position - not sure how I feel about Westbury. There is definitely 1 poster on C-D who hates Westbury and bashes it all the time, but almost 90% of the homes I have seen in Westbury, particularly Salisbury area and Birchwood Knolls/Sherwood Gardens area - appear very good and we cant decide which to go with.
Oh...you must be referring to me.
I am not out to bash Westbury, only to point out its problems. Never said anything bad about Salisbury, its a nice area and has East Meadow schools, and is generally more desirable than East Meadow itself.
Bichwood Knolls/Sherwood...pretty much anything north of the parkway is nice, especially once west of Eillison, that is Carle Place schools but you will pay for it.
My main complaints about Westbury have to do with the central part of town around Post Ave and to the east. This is where the illegals are and where you'll see the loitering & gang activity. You would think being near money to the north and west would rub off on Post Ave but we're still waiting. The Space has been one big joke, I feel bad for the businesses here on Post hoping it would have brought them more patrons, unfortunately without much going on @ The Space, they suffer. The busiest places on Post are bodegas...and there are 7 of them so thats not a good thing. I aint out to bash Westbury, I just want it cleaned up, especially since I'm stuck living here...what's so wrong about that? Having grown men just hanging around all the time certainly isn't an asset to a community, right?
As far as N.Baldwin vs Westbury, it of course depends where in Westbury. I would prefer Salisbury over N.Baldwin, you'll get better schools, more nearby, and more distance from Hempstead (N.Baldwin is way too close).
Of course, you may find better train service at Baldwin vs. Westbury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island