Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 08:53 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,795,506 times

Advertisements

Y is this news? A black family rented out a house in massapequa once. Neighbors didn't like it....one day someone shot a bullet through thier front window and they moved out the next day and it didn't make the news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 09:31 AM

159 posts, read 277,966 times
Yeah, massapequa has a huge reputation for racism.

Besides the obvious school district thing excluding E.Massapequa....My dad who is mixed-race used to walk through town and young guys in cars would scream out the n-word and other stuff at him. Last halloween, my black friend got called the n-word at the mall by white kids in masks.

Its like old school brooklyn over there

Old 05-26-2015, 12:47 PM

573 posts, read 1,237,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
Y is this news? A black family rented out a house in massapequa once. Neighbors didn't like it....one day someone shot a bullet through thier front window and they moved out the next day and it didn't make the news.
I think the better question is "why didn't a bullet being shot through a family's window to intimidate them into leaving a town make the news?"

Old 05-26-2015, 02:05 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
And how do you know "white trash" even sent the letter? These type of hoaxes happen all the time sometimes to push an agenda or even to get sympathy money. I'm not saying the family themselves did it, but there is certainly no proof it was the stereotypical "racist white trash" either. Anyone could have dropped that letter.
Lindenhurst gonna linden. I haven't ruled out the possibility of the letter being fake, but well... you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unctorious View Post
I think the better question is "why didn't a bullet being shot through a family's window to intimidate them into leaving a town make the news?"
The bullet came through the window of the Ready-Cut factory. Only one person has actually seen the place, so it wasn't considered newsworthy.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:39 AM

7 posts, read 8,967 times
Lindenhurst has the most contrast of any town I have ever seen. You have some really nice neighborhoods, nice well kept big houses a block or two away from complete rundown dumps or Section 8 houses. You go down by the water/canals in any other town and that is where the nicest house are, in Lindy it is all small run down shacks slammed against one another.

You drive down Montauk Hwy from Babylon or Amityville, either direction, and you can tell when you hit Lindy.....it just turns into auto body shops and fast food. For some reason those 2 or 3 crappy little scumbag motels are allowed to remain open and the chamber of commerce has no sense of limits on business they allow in the village. There are/were 3 crappy cell phone stores, a few nail places, 2 gas stations right next to each other (no idea why here would ever be a need for that) and just a bunch of other run down crappy businesses that nobody needs. There is no consistency in the signage required or any restrictions on the upkeep of the business/store front, just a free for all. Look at Bay Shore or Babylon.....they require the businesses to have a certain look to their outward appearance and/or signage...it gives the village a certain look which makes it attractive to both businesses and people.

The flaw in the school district is that is combines Lindenhurst and North Lindenhurst. North Lindenhurst is a completely different demographic and in my opinion it causes a lot of problems combining them.

Lindenhurst has a lot of potential but doesn't have the right people running it to take advantage of it and turn it around. It's known as Swindlehurst for a reason and the town/village pays the price for it.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:51 AM

30 posts, read 60,669 times
AS you mention Lindenhurst is a mix bag of very nice neighborhoods and not so. I disagree on North Lindenhurst description. You lumped all of NL as quote:” North Lindenhurst is a completely different demographic and in my opinion it causes a lot of problems combining them.” I’ve lived in NL for over 40 years. In my opionion it’s the same as the rest of Lindenhurst, mix bag of very nice neighborhoods and not so.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:38 PM

764 posts, read 1,546,848 times
North Lindenhurst by Town hall is a very nice neighborhood. IT isn't all rundown. Also Lindenhurst has small houses because in the 30's and 40's it was the place to be for people who lived in the City. they all had summer bungalows in Lindenhurst. A lot of these houses are still standing. They are not section 8 as people think. Just small houses on small property with middle class families living in them. Some of them kept small so taxes stay down.

These boards like to complain. if the house is small people complain they are section 8 if they are 5 bedroom gigantic not on the north shore people complain they are mcmansions. Then people complain about the high property taxes. These small 2 and 3 bedroom houses have cheap taxes for an average school district. My parents still wish they didn't sell their house by the water in Lindenhurst (they now live by town hall).

Old 05-27-2015, 02:49 PM

90 posts, read 215,970 times
I'd be willing to bet most of those speaking ill ofindenhurst have not been there. It's not bad at all, and the "cheap houses" aren't really that cheap. The thought of a 300k house with a 10 g tax bill being something that brings in the riff raff is ludicrous.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:01 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,977,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viclom View Post
I'd be willing to bet most of those speaking ill ofindenhurst have not been there. It's not bad at all, and the "cheap houses" aren't really that cheap. The thought of a 300k house with a 10 g tax bill being something that brings in the riff raff is ludicrous.
It's sad that 10k taxes are considered cheap.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:16 PM

246 posts, read 467,828 times
Having lived and worked in Lindenhurst for 30 years (and still here working) now living in a Huntington, the truth is the people are the same but the houses are bigger in Huntington.

The same guidos, heroine, joneses and drugs are common throughout. As with any community, you find the people who's value mirrors yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island