Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 02:13 PM

5,266 posts, read 4,707,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMing View Post
7% seems a bit low. I figure it's at 15% min, just Asian, not counting South Asians.
That's according to the last census. I seriously doubt it's as high as 15% certainly not excluding south Asians, no way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 05:02 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,798,464 times
^ just taking the POB high school population, asians (including indians) are 14.5%. This grew from 8% ten years ago, and was only 4% fifteen years ago.

http://www.schooldigger.com/go/NY/sc...56/school.aspx (students tab)

Syosset HS asian pop. grew from 21% to 24% in the last 10 years.

http://www.schooldigger.com/go/NY/sc...43/school.aspx

Jericho grew from 13% to 38% in the last 10 years, but their total population almost doubled too. Wow. 38% is quite a lot in white suburbia. It rivals some California cities that come to mind.

http://www.schooldigger.com/go/NY/sc...70/school.aspx

Old 05-27-2015, 08:04 PM

5,266 posts, read 4,707,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
^ just taking the POB high school population, asians (including indians) are 14.5%. This grew from 8% ten years ago, and was only 4% fifteen years ago.

Plainview-Old Bethpage/Jfk High School in Plainview NY - SchoolDigger.com (students tab)

Syosset Senior High School in Syosset NY - SchoolDigger.com

Jericho grew from 13% to 38% in the last 10 years, but their total population almost doubled too. Wow. 38% is quite a lot in white suburbia. It rivals some California cities that come to mind.

Jericho Senior High School in Jericho NY - SchoolDigger.com
Jericho I believe, all the tiger moms want their kids going to the top ranked school.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:07 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,098,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Jericho I believe, all the tiger moms want their kids going to the top ranked school.
Not only tiger moms but "Asian" counts Indians as well. Better schools and still close to Indian shops/culture in Hicksville.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:20 PM

883 posts, read 3,706,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post

Plainview-Old Bethpage/Jfk High School in Plainview NY - SchoolDigger.com (students tab)

Syosset Senior High School in Syosset NY - SchoolDigger.com

Jericho Senior High School in Jericho NY - SchoolDigger.com
Wow I didn't realize that the Asian population grew that quickly over just 10 years...

Old 05-27-2015, 10:19 PM

5 posts, read 15,288 times
Saw a bunch of houses today. Turned out that we didn't like syosset as all the houses were identical and boring - at least in our price range. We found a house in Plainview that we love, except it backs a shopping center and has a tiny kitchen. Not sure if I mentioned, but we've been looking in Merrick for months and just decided to switch to Syosset/Plainview as we dont feel comfortable with flood risk in S Merrick and there's very little inventory in mid Merrick. Now we're deciding between the Plainview house and a Merrick house on a busy street.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:54 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,977,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender1173 View Post
Saw a bunch of houses today. Turned out that we didn't like syosset as all the houses were identical and boring - at least in our price range. We found a house in Plainview that we love, except it backs a shopping center and has a tiny kitchen. Not sure if I mentioned, but we've been looking in Merrick for months and just decided to switch to Syosset/Plainview as we dont feel comfortable with flood risk in S Merrick and there's very little inventory in mid Merrick. Now we're deciding between the Plainview house and a Merrick house on a busy street.
Last hurricane like Sandy was 1851. Likelihood it'll happen within next 100 years is 2%. Flood insurance is a killer, though.

You should really get a feel for both towns. Have you talked to local moms to ask about each area?

You'll get more of a Christian/Jewish mix in Merrick once you go north of Merrick Rd, FYI.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:47 AM

5 posts, read 15,288 times
It's not just the flood insurance. Homeowner's insurance much higher too.
Have lots of friends in Merrick, but not Plainview. That's why I came on here.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:39 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,284,369 times
Quote:
If the Plainview house has a kitchen facing the backyard it is easily expandable. My kitchen was expanded 5.5ft into backyard by prior owner. We have a 1/4 acre so it didn't even dent the backyard space.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:01 AM

62 posts, read 105,304 times
Quote:
Considering Plainview and Syosset. Have a budget in the 600s for a 4 bdrm, 2 bath. We are secular Jews and would like to be in a neighborhood that has a decent sized Jewish population, but isn't snobby or excessively wealthy. Would either of these areas be a good fit? I've heard that Plainview is becoming popular with Indian families. Is this true?
Just curious where the OP decided to move to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island