Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 12:05 PM

755 posts, read 1,080,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
In a coop they can make life miserable for a owner or a tenant. Plus the person is not being evicted they are simply not having their lease renewed.

To be honest coops in Long Island are full of old folk and spinsters. I lived in on.We had extremely little children in the building and they were not really tolerated very well.

After I got married a few weeks later I watched my four year old nephew for the weekend. The stares I got from folks in the hallway like OMG he is bringing a four year boy into building and noise and stuff is going to be terrible. I sold the unit around 12 months after I got married and we bought a house.

But in coops and condos there are three classes of folks.

1) Owner Occupant
2) Owner who rents
3) Renter

Renters come and go and own no part of the building and have no voting rights. Gernerally board sides with a owner occupant.

You should try to extend lease for a long enough period that the board will be ok with. Then find a new place to live.

I am sure board and owner dont want to deal with whole eviction process and would rather grant a few more months
Her lease wasn't renewed, and now she's staying month to month until she can find a place to move. For them to force her out, yes, they will need to go through the court system. If she hires a competent attorney, the attorney will be able to negotiate the 4 months she needs or stall the case easily for 6 months within the system. Both scenarios would give her the time she needs to close on her home purchase. 4 months, I assume OP has found the house and is contract signing stage. It doesn't sound like negotiating on her own with board is going to go anywhere.

Don't ignore the termination notices. Spend the money on a lawyer. And stop paying rent. If people are being a$$e$ and not willing to negotiate. Just put the rent in escrow and let a judge decide if they are entitled to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 01:07 PM

9 posts, read 11,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
In a coop they can make life miserable for a owner or a tenant. Plus the person is not being evicted they are simply not having their lease renewed.

To be honest coops in Long Island are full of old folk and spinsters. I lived in on.We had extremely little children in the building and they were not really tolerated very well.

After I got married a few weeks later I watched my four year old nephew for the weekend. The stares I got from folks in the hallway like OMG he is bringing a four year boy into building and noise and stuff is going to be terrible. I sold the unit around 12 months after I got married and we bought a house.

But in coops and condos there are three classes of folks.

1) Owner Occupant
2) Owner who rents
3) Renter

Renters come and go and own no part of the building and have no voting rights. Gernerally board sides with a owner occupant.

You should try to extend lease for a long enough period that the board will be ok with. Then find a new place to live.

I am sure board and owner dont want to deal with whole eviction process and would rather grant a few more months

Yes alot of older people live in my building. It's s group of coops and I do see some young people with children, but not in my building.

Good idea! I did contact the management company actually. They treated me like a child. Scolding me and telling me I had to leave. Maybe I should try writing a letter. Thanks for the response!!

Old 05-28-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm7 View Post
Which town you are living? I would try to avoid renting in that town. LOL. People are mean in your coop.

Hempstead. Where NO ONE wants to live. So I highly doubt that someone will even buy this coop. Unless they don't have school aged children.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
Her lease wasn't renewed, and now she's staying month to month until she can find a place to move. For them to force her out, yes, they will need to go through the court system. If she hires a competent attorney, the attorney will be able to negotiate the 4 months she needs or stall the case easily for 6 months within the system. Both scenarios would give her the time she needs to close on her home purchase. 4 months, I assume OP has found the house and is contract signing stage. It doesn't sound like negotiating on her own with board is going to go anywhere.

Don't ignore the termination notices. Spend the money on a lawyer. And stop paying rent. If people are being a$$e$ and not willing to negotiate. Just put the rent in escrow and let a judge decide if they are entitled to it.

This is great advice thank you!
I actually am not in the contract phase. I am getting money through a grant and there very specific guidelines that limits what I can get. I haven't had any accepted offers yet. But I am actively shopping! The landlord hasn't even been showing the place which makes me think I can milk this.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:39 PM

755 posts, read 1,080,029 times
Paperwork for a grant. mortgage process. and still finding a home. I don't think you're going to meet the 4 month (or even 6 month deadline). It may be in your best interest to find a new apt on a short term lease. Yes you can stall an eviction process. But your home purchasing plan has too many areas where there can be lengthy delays.

Coops (especially well managed ones) have a legal fund in their budget. So they won't hesitate to start the eviction process.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
Paperwork for a grant. mortgage process. and still finding a home. I don't think you're going to meet the 4 month (or even 6 month deadline). It may be in your best interest to find a new apt on a short term lease. Yes you can stall an eviction process. But your home purchasing plan has too many areas where there can be lengthy delays.

Coops (especially well managed ones) have a legal fund in their budget. So they won't hesitate to start the eviction process.
Oy vey! I couldn't not find one short term lease when I was looking. Maybe I will try and look again.

My neighbor did tell me it took 2 years to evict the last guy the coop evicted.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:10 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Do you really want to live like this? You aren't going to be out in 4 months. Pack up and get out - why do you even want to rush the home buying experience anyway?

Old 05-29-2015, 07:06 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,083,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Do you really want to live like this? You aren't going to be out in 4 months. Pack up and get out - why do you even want to rush the home buying experience anyway?
Exactly. You're looking at 4 months alone once you actually sign the contract and are just waiting for closing. At this point, with the grant and the hoops you need to jump through for that, you're probably 8-10 months out from being in a home you own. I would get out of this situation asap.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I actually started this process prior to having issues with this apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: