Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 05:46 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,795,742 times

Advertisements

How much does being in a FEMA flood zone hurt house resale value, and how much does being in a flood-free zone improve value? Flood insurance runs how much on average?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 12:47 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
How much does being in a FEMA flood zone hurt house resale value, and how much does being in a flood-free zone improve value? Flood insurance runs how much on average?
if has no effect on buyer or owner if he bought after Sandy in a flood zone. either way you were compensated in price to offset flood cost.

My block prices are back at above presandy values.

Old 05-30-2015, 02:02 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
Yes, it does affect market value in the eyes of the buyer which translates into lower offers and sales.

I'm going to give you exact amounts on my old house. On approved crawl space.

Zone AE $3230

If my house were across the street, it would be shaded X.......and $550.

Base elevation 11 ft. House at 12 ft. If across the street house would be at 14 ft.

I'm currently looking at property in another state. Of course, I found the perfect house. Looked at the Flood Maps........16 feet into the front yard.......Zone AE. The front setback is 60 feet.......balance of the property is shaded X. House and attached garage is all in Shaded X.

Base elevation is 11 ft. Front of property at 7 ft. Lowest living floor is 11 ft. Approved crawl space. THANK GOD I put an insurance contingency into the contract.

The whole property is rated Zone AE. If seller would consider dropping the price another $50K, I'd consider just buying the house and moving it. it is so perfect. Screw the lot.

But it is presently listed 20% below assessment.....and includes transfer of golf membership.

I looked at other houses.............every house with any Zone AE on the lot..........is priced at least 20% below assessment.

Add the cost of flood insurance and Wind and Hail.....plus regular HOI......that's a big chunk of change every year.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:12 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,988,287 times
People need to remember...these policies are going to skyrocket over the course of the next five years.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:48 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Yes, it does affect market value in the eyes of the buyer which translates into lower offers and sales.

Zone AE $3230

Base elevation 11 ft. House at 12 ft. If across the street house would be at 14 ft.

I'm currently looking at property in another state. Of course, I found the perfect house. Looked at the Flood Maps........16 feet into the front yard.......Zone AE. The front setback is 60 feet.......balance of the property is shaded X. House and attached garage is all in Shaded X.

Base elevation is 11 ft. Front of property at 7 ft. Lowest living floor is 11 ft. Approved crawl space. THANK GOD I put an insurance contingency into the contract.

The whole property is rated Zone AE. If seller would consider dropping the price another $50K, I'd consider just buying the house and moving it. it is so perfect. Screw the lot.

But it is presently listed 20% below assessment.....and includes transfer of golf membership.

I looked at other houses.............every house with any Zone AE on the lot..........is priced at least 20% below assessment.

Add the cost of flood insurance and Wind and Hail.....plus regular HOI......that's a big chunk of change every year.
As I read your post the first thing that came to my mind was "are you nuts??" Glad I continued, clearly you are well in possession of your facilities. Ah, I agree very tempting, but a wise man will run!!!!

Old 05-30-2015, 10:37 PM

No..I'm not nutz. Lived along the coast most of my 6 decades. Flood maps are one of the first things I check!

Also in the same subdivision as the "perfect house".......in an amazing house. Huge Georgian Colonial with views to die for. Above ground walk-out basement with 9 foot ceilings.....raising the first floor to 16 feet.

Zone AE of course...........and it is so priced below market.......it's a crime.

These properties are affected by south facing tidal estuaries and rivers. So I started looking on the eastside of town.........lots closer to the ICW...........as in 400 ft from the sand...........but elevation of these lots is higher and though closer to the water ............the worse Flood Zone is Shaded X!

Old 05-31-2015, 05:37 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,795,742 times
Quote:
...the worse Flood Zone is Shaded X!
I live in a Shaded X house, and have been here for decades. Never flooded here once. Sandy, Irene, whatever. Not a drop, dry as a bone.

This area had been rezoned as AE. After Sandy, a critical real-life test, local activists got FEMA to change the map to X.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
I live in a Shaded X house, and have been here for decades. Never flooded here once. Sandy, Irene, whatever. Not a drop, dry as a bone.

This area had been rezoned as AE. After Sandy, a critical real-life test, local activists got FEMA to change the map to X.
Every storm is different. In Sandy..........various friends in Shaded X had different outcomes. Some didn't flood, some had a little water..............while others.....3 ft+ in their lower levels.

The good thing about Zone Shaded X - is that it is "Preferred Risk"........with fairly low rates.

30% of all flood claims come from Shaded X.

My old house in AE...........has never flooded since the day it was relocated to its new crawl space in 1941. It sits 150 feet from the beach. It did not flood in Hurricane Carol in 1954..........I have pictures..........but neighboring homes did. Did not flood in Hurricane Donna in 1960....neighboring homes did. Ditto with Sandy.

However, it's just a matter of time until it does flood. I've seen the rise in sea level during my lifetime and the land erosion.

That's why it's the old house.....

Old 05-31-2015, 09:03 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Right now, at least on the North Shore, it's a marketing thing. It can also impact the value for lower-priced homes as a $450K home that requires $2500 a year flood insurance is a cost that first time homebuyers need to factor in.

However, given that there's a lot of people on LI and really no net new waterfront property available if it's in a desirable location it'll sell...

Old 05-31-2015, 09:39 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:

Zone AE $3230

Do you live on Long Island? If so where.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island