Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 11:35 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times

Advertisements

In NY hardly no real thief "breaks" into a house. And no thief carries a gun.

B&E gets you jail time, an unlicensed handgun gets you one year in jail.

Most thiefs wiggle their way in, pop a window latch etc when you are not home and shut it behind them and exit through a door. No evidence of a B&E.

Then they go for small expensive stuff. Often stuff you wont miss second you open door. Like class rings, jewlery, hidden cash. They dont want you calling cops the second you open door.

If you come upon someone downstairs they often run or just give up. If lucky since they have not stolen anything yet. Might get just charged with tresspassing.

When NYC was bad we had "fire escape thiefs in our building who came through window while at work. My buddy until his roomate noticed class ring was missng, and other roomates then searched and found small things missing they did not know they were robbed. Thief shut all the drawers.

A few months later they caught him in living room, they grabbed some hockey sticks and bats and chased him a few blocks. He was 19 or 20with sneakers and they were barefoot in PJs so no match.

What were they supposed to do shoot the kid in back cause a class ring, calculator and some CDs were stolen. This aint Texas. And this was back in the day of crime in early 90s. Today we have zero crime pretty much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 11:39 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times
Black Homeowner's Claim of Self-Defense Rejected in Fatal Shooting(NY)

Old 06-15-2015, 01:26 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Don't see how this is relevant as he shot the kid in front of his house, not as the result of a home invasion.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:10 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
In NY hardly no real thief "breaks" into a house. And no thief carries a gun.

B&E gets you jail time, an unlicensed handgun gets you one year in jail.

Most thiefs wiggle their way in, pop a window latch etc when you are not home and shut it behind them and exit through a door. No evidence of a B&E.

Then they go for small expensive stuff. Often stuff you wont miss second you open door. Like class rings, jewlery, hidden cash. They dont want you calling cops the second you open door.

If you come upon someone downstairs they often run or just give up. If lucky since they have not stolen anything yet. Might get just charged with tresspassing.

When NYC was bad we had "fire escape thiefs in our building who came through window while at work. My buddy until his roomate noticed class ring was missng, and other roomates then searched and found small things missing they did not know they were robbed. Thief shut all the drawers.

A few months later they caught him in living room, they grabbed some hockey sticks and bats and chased him a few blocks. He was 19 or 20with sneakers and they were barefoot in PJs so no match.

What were they supposed to do shoot the kid in back cause a class ring, calculator and some CDs were stolen. This aint Texas. And this was back in the day of crime in early 90s. Today we have zero crime pretty much.
Keep those 'stories' coming!

Old 06-15-2015, 02:12 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
at least I think they should start with once upon a time

Old 06-15-2015, 02:33 PM

538 posts, read 1,007,773 times
Here's a complete opposite move for you.

I moved from NY to SC last year. Had 1 pistol with me. No need to register it here. Today, I wanted to go out and trade my old pistol, for a smaller, more concealed weapon. Walked into the gun store, showed them my drivers license.... walked out of there about 20 mins later with a brand new 9mm on my hip. (well, actually it was still in the box, but hip make it's sound better, right??? lol )

Old 06-15-2015, 04:40 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
at least I think they should start with once upon a time
Lol

Old 06-25-2015, 06:46 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,285 times
Thanks again to all who provided information. The guns are sold, we're just about packed, and we'll be heading up early next week. I just hope that I can figure out how to not get too lost before I start work on the 6th.

As an aside, does anyone know of a good source for local news and politics? We'll be somewhere in the Roslyn area when we first get there.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:11 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
Thanks again to all who provided information. The guns are sold, we're just about packed, and we'll be heading up early next week. I just hope that I can figure out how to not get too lost before I start work on the 6th.

As an aside, does anyone know of a good source for local news and politics? We'll be somewhere in the Roslyn area when we first get there.
Read Newsday and watch News 12 on Cablevision (if you get it). Given LI's population density there's no real difference between Roslyn and the surrounding areas but you'll see Nassau and Suffolk news sections in Newsday.

Have a safe move! It's a great time of year to enjoy LI.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:19 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Read Newsday and watch News 12 on Cablevision (if you get it). Given LI's population density there's no real difference between Roslyn and the surrounding areas but you'll see Nassau and Suffolk news sections in Newsday.
We can argue whether these are "good" sources of news, but the fact it they are effectively the _only_ sources of local news on Long Island.

You will also find some local "penny saver" type of publications - most hamlets seem to have one. There are also online forums for various communities.

News12 and Newsday are going to be pretty much "it" for what passes as news reporting these days. Note that both outlets are owned by Cablevision, so it is really a one source news situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island