Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 09:03 PM

107 posts, read 120,392 times

Advertisements

For those of you who actually want to help me, my hubby will be working on a construction project at LaGuardia in Queens. He wants to live within a 45 min commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 09:55 PM

131 posts, read 332,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engrvet View Post
For those of you who actually want to help me, my hubby will be working on a construction project at LaGuardia in Queens. He wants to live within a 45 min commute.
If he is working at LaGuardia and you want a 45 minute commute move to Garden City. You can buy something modest for $800K but also expect to pay about $15K in property taxes per year on top of that.

If you keep moving around though then why would you buy? I would probably rent in your shoes.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:01 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Quote:
For those of you who actually want to help me, my hubby will be working on some construction project at LaGuardia in Queens.
The new main terminal?

Old 06-04-2015, 11:05 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
I'm not trolling! We live in West MI and my hubby took a job with an international company that has him flying all over the ****ing country!!! We want our family to live together finally, so he has told his company to settle him somewhere. They do not have an office in MI. They originally wanted him in the Orlando area (read the date on the thread *******). Now they changed their mind and want him in Queens. Do you even have a life??? Spend all your time reading city-data?? I was just asked for help! Trust me, I'd much rather be in FL or MI over NYC any day. I hope not all New Yorkers are as paranoid as you!
Well judging by this reply, the answer to your question is: you'll fit in fine.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:12 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,989,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Lmao!

Old 06-05-2015, 04:35 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

Ha ha! Well played OP - you just answered your own question. Welcome to New York! Sounds like your husband's company knew what they were doing.

In all seriousness, we get a lot of trollers trying to stir the pot here. And as far as dates, it was merely a month ago that you posted that your husband was working on the I-4 project in Florida.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:18 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times
Quote:
I'm not trolling! We live in West MI and my hubby took a job with an international company that has him flying all over the ****ing country!!! We want our family to live together finally, so he has told his company to settle him somewhere. They do not have an office in MI. They originally wanted him in the Orlando area (read the date on the thread *******). Now they changed their mind and want him in Queens. Do you even have a life??? Spend all your time reading city-data?? I was just asked for help! Trust me, I'd much rather be in FL or MI over NYC any day. I hope not all New Yorkers are as paranoid as you!
Lol! You have nothing to worry about. You will fit right in on LI or NYC.

If you want at 45 min commute forget westchester. Look in western Nassau, and keep in mind traffic can be a huge variable when commuting to LGA. From where I
Live in Nassau I could be there in 25 min or so with no traffic, but could easily take 1.5 hours in rush hour traffic.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:05 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Lol! You have nothing to worry about. You will fit right in on LI or NYC.

If you want at 45 min commute forget westchester. Look in western Nassau, and keep in mind traffic can be a huge variable when commuting to LGA. From where I
Live in Nassau I could be there in 25 min or so with no traffic, but could easily take 1.5 hours in rush hour traffic.
Agreed. No way would you want Westchester if he's at LGA...anything that involves going through the Bronx or Manhattan on the way to Queens will be painful.

The other option of course is to live in Queens itself. Bellerose is a nice area, taxes are low, although you'd pay NYC city tax.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:48 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times
Incorporated village of Floral Park or New Hyde Park with Herricks schools if you have kids are really close to LGA.

Also parts of Bayside and Douglaston

If you are rentingI lived in Astoria for awhile and LGA was super close

if you want to skip buying for now there are some cool coops, condos and rental buildings right off the Cross Island Parkway in Bayside with water views, pools, tennis courts etc. Be at LGA in like five minutes

Old 06-05-2015, 07:50 AM

352 posts, read 387,019 times
OP, you will have many good choices of neighborhood within your budget for home buying east of LGA in northern Nassau County or northern Queens. I wouldn't even consider Westchester, Orange, Rockland County etc. what with traffic, tolls, etc. Others can advise you where the best public schools are located, but they are there, and not too bad a ride to LGA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island