Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 04:54 PM

63 posts, read 125,814 times

Advertisements

For those who followed my original thread, I am happy to report that my boyfriend and I finally found the right house to rent in Port Washington after losing out on one and then seeing many others that were either too expensive, not right for us, or both.

After we lost out on the first place, the broker who showed it to us has gone above and beyond trying to find us another place, calling landlords to see what was opening up, sending me listings constantly, calling landlords/listing agents with our questions, sticking with us through several rounds of showings until we found the right place, and spending her whole day today trying to get our application through.

These actions may be the norm for buyers' agents, but I feel like most agents wouldn't put in so much effort just to help people find a rental house that carries a one month fee.

She just gave me instructions for the checks to write, and I realized that because there is another agent (the landlord's agent), she will only end up with $800 after her agency takes a cut (usually half, right?). We feel that she deserves more for all the effort she put in on our behalf.

We are signing the lease tomorrow, and I am wondering if it would be appropriate to give the checks she mentioned, but also write a check made out to her for a few hundred bucks as a tip/thank you for all of her time and effort. Would she be allowed to accept such a check? Is there a risk she would find that insulting?

I already wrote her a glowing review on Zillow, but we were thinking it would be nice to pay her a little extra. Good idea? Crazy? Is tipping common in sales, if not in rentals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 05:00 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Don't be a sucker, the landlords agent knows how it works it's not your place to compensate her any more.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:08 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj2dc2nyc2li View Post
After we lost out on the first place, the broker who showed it to us has gone above and beyond trying to find us another place, calling landlords to see what was opening up, sending me listings constantly, calling landlords/listing agents with our questions, sticking with us through several rounds of showings until we found the right place, and spending her whole day today trying to get our application through.

?
So she did her job?

$800? Even if she spent 8 hours doing these things that's $100 an hour.

Do you get tipped for doing what your job description requires?

Old 06-04-2015, 05:16 PM

63 posts, read 125,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
So she did her job?

$800? Even if she spent 8 hours doing these things that's $100 an hour.

Do you get tipped for doing what your job description requires?
I am pretty sure she spent more time than that on us, maybe even twice that.

My boyfriend wants to give her the difference between what she will get on this versus if we had gotten the first place (same rent, but that was an open listing so she would have gotten double). I think that is going a little overboard, but I would like to at least do something to pay her for all the extra effort she put in. I feel bad because if I had called her 1 day earlier about the first place, she would have made double the money with a fraction of the effort.

Another option might be to get her a gift certificate to a restaurant she mentioned that she likes in PW. Would that be more appropriate?

And no, I don't get tipped for doing what my job requires because I am an attorney and I am pretty sure accepting such a tip would be an ethics violation. But plenty of people (hair stylists, auto mechanics, valet parking guys, movers, etc) get tips for doing what their job requires. I just wasn't sure if it is usually done in real estate? Do buyers usually tip their agents at the end?

Old 06-04-2015, 05:24 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,988,287 times
She did her job. Even if it was twice that time, $50/hr isn't good?

Do a gift card for a restaurant. Another check is in poor taste.

No, buyers don't tip agents, typically.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:35 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
She's working for future recommendations. That is worth a lot too. If it makes you feel better, get her a $50 gift card somewhere. I'm still recommending our agent from many years ago.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:41 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
SHE WAS DOING HER JOB. We are at a sad state in our history where we are so shocked by people doing their job well. Sorry, don't get it, but do what you want. And tell her you will recommend her to anyone who will listen and if you decide to buy she will be the only agent you call.

Good luck with the new place.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:53 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
I am pretty sure she spent more time than that on us, maybe even twice that.

My boyfriend wants to give her the difference between what she will get on this versus if we had gotten the first place (same rent, but that was an open listing so she would have gotten double). I think that is going a little overboard, but I would like to at least do something to pay her for all the extra effort she put in. I feel bad because if I had called her 1 day earlier about the first place, she would have made double the money with a fraction of the effort.

Another option might be to get her a gift certificate to a restaurant she mentioned that she likes in PW. Would that be more appropriate?

And no, I don't get tipped for doing what my job requires because I am an attorney and I am pretty sure accepting such a tip would be an ethics violation. But plenty of people (hair stylists, auto mechanics, valet parking guys, movers, etc) get tips for doing what their job requires. I just wasn't sure if it is usually done in real estate? Do buyers usually tip their agents at the end?

You do not know that for sure, all you know for sure is someone else got the other place.

She did her job and if I remember correctly being paid $50.00 - $100.00 per hour is a very good wage.

Tipping has gotten completely out of control and we do not tip anyone who gets paid a flat rate wage for actually doing their job.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:38 AM

400 posts, read 761,096 times
Quote:
For those who followed my original thread, I am happy to report that my boyfriend and I finally found the right house to rent in Port Washington after losing out on one and then seeing many others that were either too expensive, not right for us, or both.

These actions may be the norm for buyers' agents, but I feel like most agents wouldn't put in so much effort just to help people find a rental house that carries a one month fee.

She just gave me instructions for the checks to write, and I realized that because there is another agent (the landlord's agent), she will only end up with $800 after her agency takes a cut (usually half, right?). We feel that she deserves more for all the effort she put in on our behalf.

We are signing the lease tomorrow, and I am wondering if it would be appropriate to give the checks she mentioned, but also write a check made out to her for a few hundred bucks as a tip/thank you for all of her time and effort. Would she be allowed to accept such a check? Is there a risk she would find that insulting?

I already wrote her a glowing review on Zillow, but we were thinking it would be nice to pay her a little extra. Good idea? Crazy? Is tipping common in sales, if not in rentals?

I personally would issue a heartfelt thank you. There is no need to TIP at all..... You can go ahead and tip if you so wish and money is plentiful... Its not like she will reject it.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:55 AM

79 posts, read 91,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
SHE WAS DOING HER JOB. We are at a sad state in our history where we are so shocked by people doing their job well. Sorry, don't get it, but do what you want. And tell her you will recommend her to anyone who will listen and if you decide to buy she will be the only agent you call.

Good luck with the new place.
It is a sad state where we are, very few people in the servicing industry do their job well, IMO. We tip extra when we notice someone going above and beyond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You do not know that for sure, all you know for sure is someone else got the other place.

She did her job and if I remember correctly being paid $50.00 - $100.00 per hour is a very good wage.

Tipping has gotten completely out of control and we do not tip anyone who gets paid a flat rate wage for actually doing their job.
Agents dont make $50.00 - $100.00 per hour, that was the likely breakdown for her involvement on this particular transaction. And its not like agents finalize a transaction a weekly, it could be weeks till the next one. Im sure she would really appreciate a GC of some sort and as previous poster stated, imo too, another check is tacky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: