Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 09:16 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times

Advertisements

My house is right next to sunrise highway and it's noisy but I am used to it. Been here 12 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 10:48 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,989,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
True...with the NSP/LIE you don't get a lot of the jarring traffic noise...honking, stop & go at red lights, etc. I have been in friends' backyards and even after a few minutes, I stop noticing it. Of course, this is entirely personal- I'm sure there are people out there who fixate on it because it bothers then so much. Lol, if you're one of those people, pass on the house. Otherwise, weigh the pros/cons against other houses you see & make your own decision!
Hey, if the price is right, the house is right, the schools are right...I say go for it and enjoy it. People worry so much about resale (they stick to all neutrals Just in case they sell, never making the home theirs, etc) that they forget to enjoy it for themselves!

Old 06-07-2015, 08:30 PM

883 posts, read 3,719,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
Hey, if the price is right, the house is right, the schools are right...I say go for it and enjoy it. People worry so much about resale (they stick to all neutrals Just in case they sell, never making the home theirs, etc) that they forget to enjoy it for themselves!
True, very true!

Old 06-07-2015, 10:12 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,427 times
Read up on air pollution near major highways.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:32 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,067,372 times
Nassau or Suffolk?

In Nassau, I feel like every house is near a parkway, a train station, or in a flood zone. Choose your poison.

In Suffolk, there's a little more leeway... and if there are other similar homes in that area in the price range, I'd probably decide against the house near the parkway.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:36 AM

15 posts, read 52,789 times
I would be much more concerned about the pollution than the noise. Living close to a highway, even a mile away, can have a significant impact on air quality. There are plenty of studies online, just do your research.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:53 AM

883 posts, read 3,719,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
Nassau or Suffolk?

In Nassau, I feel like every house is near a parkway, a train station, or in a flood zone. Choose your poison.

In Suffolk, there's a little more leeway... and if there are other similar homes in that area in the price range, I'd probably decide against the house near the parkway.
Lol true...and don't forget high tension lines! Seriously though- living near a highway even in congested Nassau is still way better than NYC.

And don't forget that TREES filter out a lot of the air pollution! So how heavily wooded an area is can make a huge difference.

My apartment in NYC used to have black dust on all of the window sills...it would settle within days after cleaning. I have had 2 houses in Suffolk...no black dust ever.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:50 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybird2 View Post
saw a house that is two houses (each is 1 acre house) from NSP. It is about 400 ft from the NSP. Will the noise be an issue?
The day we toured the house was not the busy time, we could hear some traffic noise but not much (similar to the tree sound from the wind), and there is no sound inside the house.
Will this scare of most future resale buyers?
The house in which I grew up was down the block from the SSP. My bedroom window faced in that direction. You would hear the woosh of cars moving, the occasional ambulance siren, and from time to time a bad muffler.

You don't even realize it is there, unless you moved from someplace very quiet.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:52 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM NY View Post
I would be much more concerned about the pollution than the noise. Living close to a highway, even a mile away, can have a significant impact on air quality. There are plenty of studies online, just do your research.
I guess I'll die early then because of all the pollution I breath in from Sunrise Hwy.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:04 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post

And don't forget that TREES filter out a lot of the air pollution! So how heavily wooded an area is can make a huge difference.

My apartment in NYC used to have black dust on all of the window sills...it would settle within days after cleaning. I have had 2 houses in Suffolk...no black dust ever.
Don't count on the trees, Nassau is intent on destroying every tree-lined roadway. Same goes for the Towns, except if you're buying north of Jericho Turnpike.

There's dust from brakes, tires, and vehicular exhaust, and then there's microscopic particulates that can flow from 100 - 1000 feet from the roadway depending on the level of traffic and wind. These particulates are documented in countless research studies to cause respiratory conditions, increase risk for cardiovascular disease, and cause in essence accelerated death.

To me, this is huge. Beyond the noise. Stay away from traffic-laden roadways, especially if you have children, they are most susceptible, as well as the elderly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island