Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2015, 08:01 PM

224 posts, read 675,943 times

Advertisements

Hi all; hope all is well.

My wife and I own a 1,000 sq foot ranch in New Hyde Park that sits on a 75 x 100 lot. One of the reasons we purchased the house was because of the lot and the room for expansion. We are thinking about getting some estimates on extending and dormering the house; however, before doing that, I figured I'd do a little homework and ask you all just so I can get a decent idea of what are the costs associated with each option, as well as whatever other feedback/insight you can add. Thanks in advance.

Ideally we would like to extend the house back about 20 feet and do a full dormer as well. Based on some of the threads on here it seems a ballpark figure for an extension is about $120 K and about $180 K for a dormer. Does that sound about right?

What does it cost to tear the house down and build one from scratch? After all, if it's going to cost $250 K or more to alter the home, but building it from the bottom up is, say, $400 K, the latter option would become more favorable despite the higher cost.

Also, how does financing work for such a project? Would I just go get a loan from a bank or do financing through the homebuilder? And what about using a home equity line of credit?

Any info is helpful and greatly appreciated it. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 08:10 PM

592 posts, read 919,601 times
Look into what's called a 203K loan. I know Wells Fargo is experienced with them. As far as the actual costs of what you are doing, I defer to the contractors on here.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:03 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
If you're doing it on a loan, I doubt doing all new for over $100k+ more is worthwhile. You can make the existing portion nicer by knocking down walls (since you don't need the bedrooms there anymore), maybe re-working the kitchen, and upgrading appliances. You don't need the entire structure to be new. You'll also be hit with much higher taxes for new and be restricted to current code for a new 1st floor.

Last edited by ovi8; 06-14-2015 at 07:35 AM..

Old 06-14-2015, 07:12 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,990,623 times
What's the square footage now.... and do you have a garage? Full basement?

Old 06-14-2015, 07:43 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
You'll also be hit with much higher taxes for new and be restricted to current code for a new 1st floor.
This. Unless you are prepared to pay $25K and up on the new taxes don't knock it down.

You're looking at $200K + to extend and dormer. A lot depends on how much square footage you're talking about and of course the finishes you choose.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:50 PM

7 posts, read 9,568 times
I wouldn't knock it down.

Just do a whole house alteration.. Cost between 225k-300k plus owner supplied items like kitchen cabinets, plumbing fixtures, a/c, stuff like that...

Talk to an architect or contractor first to get a game plan.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:05 AM

294 posts, read 610,099 times
Sorry, I didn't want to start a new thread since my question is related to some degree.

I'm in NHP, and doing a major project: full dormer of a cape w/1st floor extension, new kitchen, bathroom, etc.

For those that have gone through a major project such as this, what is the situation with the contract(s) that you've explored and/or ultimately signed?

Once beyond the proposal phase, would you expect a completely itemized cost contract? What type of contract, something with a total price quote inclusive of a contingency (at some stated %)? Are "not to exceed" contracts available? Like anybody that has gone through something of this magnitude, I want to guard against runaway cost adders springing up again and again that blow the budget through the proverbial roof - no pun intended.

Any advice or personal experiences would be welcomed - please DM me if you're more comfortable with that option.

Thank you very much.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:48 AM

67 posts, read 150,710 times
Default Questions

NHP Guy,

I sent you a DM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island