Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 07:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,509 times

Advertisements

My family is thinking about moving to Rockville Centre. The schools are excellent and that's a big draw for us. We just found out the house we are interested in is not in the incorporated village of RVC. It also is a block or two away from Baldwin. Are there any drawbacks of moving into an area that's unincorporated and near Baldwin? I don't know Long Island that well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 07:38 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
The area I think you're describing, is pretty nice. And there's nothing wrong with it being near Baldwin, Baldwin is also pretty nice.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:34 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,584,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlPower View Post
My family is thinking about moving to Rockville Centre. The schools are excellent and that's a big draw for us. We just found out the house we are interested in is not in the incorporated village of RVC. It also is a block or two away from Baldwin. Are there any drawbacks of moving into an area that's unincorporated and near Baldwin? I don't know Long Island that well.
As the other poster said, Baldwin is perfectly fine. You're not talking about abutting Wyandanch. The major drawbacks will be that you will not get services provided by the Village (trash, police) or be able to use Village facilities (the rec center, for example, is more expensive) and parking for commuters is not nearly as good (more expensive per year it's limited access to lots). Most importantly, you're missing out on RVC's cheap electric. I've also noticed that, for whatever reason, the difference in taxes is not that great even though you're not paying village tax. For example, I saw that places on Blenheim and Coleridge were on the market and neither are in in incorporated village, but the taxes were over $20k on each anyway - crazy.

The short answer is that you're sacrificing certain amenities, but if you can figure out what those are and are ok with it, then the location is otherwise fine. Also keep in mind that many future buyers are going to have reservations/concerns just like you have, which could hurt your resale value.

Last edited by TEPLimey; 06-21-2015 at 10:07 AM..

Old 06-21-2015, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 4,042 times
The Birchwood area of RVC is beautiful! My close friend lives in that area and she absolutely loves it - lots of young families. It is zoned for RVC schools which is the biggest draw of RVC. You can park on street at night and I have heard that taxes are lower. Non village residents can absolutely use the rec center and aside from the utilities, police and parking - there is no difference. My friend commutes into NYC daily and parks at Baldwin which is free and safe (she tells me that some village residents choose to use Baldwin as well because getting a spot in RVC is a nightmare (and you have to pay for it too). Good luck!

Old 06-22-2015, 07:02 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,447,861 times
Unincorporated is way to go. RVC must have the most crooked government on all of LI and they steal or waste the tax money.

I saw a house listed there recently with RVC address and village taxes with Oceanside schools. The Village taxes were 7K a year. Realtor said homeowner saves 1k a year on electric vs. LIPA!!!!! So still an extra 6k.

And he can park at RVC train station for a fee. Except owner does not work in city anyhow.

So owner owned house for 13 years. Then realtor said homeowner is getting more for home than if it is Oceanside with Oceanside as you get to say you live in RVC!!!!! Even though you cant go to school there. Which I countered he paid an extra 78K in RVC taxes for nothnig since he owned house. Plus Nassau assessed him higher for being in RVC another 78k in taxes. So he paid and extra 156K in taxes just for the RVC name, imagine if he put 12k a year in a good mutual fund last 13 years instead of RVC taxes.

Seriously what does RVC do with the taxes. I have friends in other incorporated villages who pay between 500 bucks and 2,000 bucks a year yet RVC charges way more.

I went to dinner in RVC last night, I saw a rainbow I also saw every sketchy person in world out to dinner that night, Gold teeth, skull caps, tattoos. The folks walking out of fishbone restaurant looked like a bad rap video.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:55 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,584,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Unincorporated is way to go. RVC must have the most crooked government on all of LI and they steal or waste the tax money.

I saw a house listed there recently with RVC address and village taxes with Oceanside schools. The Village taxes were 7K a year. Realtor said homeowner saves 1k a year on electric vs. LIPA!!!!! So still an extra 6k.

And he can park at RVC train station for a fee. Except owner does not work in city anyhow.

So owner owned house for 13 years. Then realtor said homeowner is getting more for home than if it is Oceanside with Oceanside as you get to say you live in RVC!!!!! Even though you cant go to school there. Which I countered he paid an extra 78K in RVC taxes for nothnig since he owned house. Plus Nassau assessed him higher for being in RVC another 78k in taxes. So he paid and extra 156K in taxes just for the RVC name, imagine if he put 12k a year in a good mutual fund last 13 years instead of RVC taxes.

Seriously what does RVC do with the taxes. I have friends in other incorporated villages who pay between 500 bucks and 2,000 bucks a year yet RVC charges way more.

I went to dinner in RVC last night, I saw a rainbow I also saw every sketchy person in world out to dinner that night, Gold teeth, skull caps, tattoos. The folks walking out of fishbone restaurant looked like a bad rap video.
How do you know that "Nassau assessed him higher for being in RVC another 78k in taxes"? Is that just a figure you fabricated?

Old 06-22-2015, 05:08 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Sandyjet knows everyone on LI, and all their stories too.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:22 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,758,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
How do you know that "Nassau assessed him higher for being in RVC another 78k in taxes"? Is that just a figure you fabricated?
nah, he never does that!

Old 06-22-2015, 07:23 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,447,861 times
Ok just looked this up

1 Gerard Court in Oceanside and 10 McGann Drive in RVC, one is in RVC by Oceanside Boarder with Oceanside Schools, one is in Oceanside with Oceanside schools.

Both 100x100 plots, both around 4,000 square feet, both inground pool.

1 Gerard is like 16k taxes

10 McGann is 28K with RVC

Old 06-22-2015, 07:25 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,758,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlPower View Post
FYI, you either live in the Village of RVC or you don't. There's no "unincorporated" area of RVC. While you may have a RVC zip code, technically you'll be living in South Hempstead with RVC schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island