Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 08:33 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,844,919 times

Advertisements

This country has turned into a bunch of butt hurt pansies. It's only going to get worse.
Times are a changing. I guess everyone needs to assimilate and become Stepford citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 08:36 PM

1,069 posts, read 712,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
This discussion is hundreds of posts long on the political forum..go argue that the flag has nothing to do with slavery there. The secession documents for the slave states mentioned slavery...the secession was intrinsically about slavery, and that flag has come to represent the secession.
the secession was about the federal govt imposing taxes on the southern states. the south wanted a stronger state govt as opposd to a fed govt. Was slavery part of it, especially due to the tax ramifications, yes. To say the civil war was about just slavery is incorrect

Old 07-12-2015, 08:56 PM

814 posts, read 911,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
the secession was about the federal govt imposing taxes on the southern states. the south wanted a stronger state govt as opposd to a fed govt. Was slavery part of it, especially due to the tax ramifications, yes. To say the civil war was about just slavery is incorrect
Thats true.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:52 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Its not which flag slavery flourish under that is the issue, it's the flag flown by a government who wanted to keep people enslaved, it's the flag brandished by every hate group as a message to those they deem less worthy. It is used to intimidate & threaten, it's display in SC didn't start till the civil rights movement as a message and a threat to those who tried to get the equal right they deserved.
And a good point. I think the problem is that people think that the Union had clean hands and the Confederates were pure evil, and that's how they look at the war. The issues of the time were very grey and often complex. The Battle Flag being raised over the SC State House wasn't, it was a big FU to DC.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:17 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
The Battle Flag being raised over the SC State House wasn't, it was a big FU to DC.
I would agree or a subtle threat to those seeking equality, it's probably safe to say it has the same effect as a certain heritage group burning a cross in your front yard...

Old 07-13-2015, 07:34 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,053 times
Considering the less subtle threats (lynching, fire bombs, etc) and black codes that black folks were dealing with I doubt the flag had them shaking in their boots.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:57 PM

All I know is that the Kardashians offend me and I would like for them to be removed from television and have the General Lee take their place, that orange Dodge Charger is much more exciting to watch.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:18 PM

958 posts, read 1,105,731 times
Way to go Steve. Like to see a new TV series [ or movie] Based on the same premises as the "Dukes"
Only The car is the New Dodge "HELL CAT" With the Bonny Blue on the Roof . And her name is "STONE WALL"
Let the libs figure that one out.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:36 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,844,919 times
I am so offended by people who get offended by every little damn thing. I'm thinking of filing a lawsuit against every single resident of the United States. The Proctology business should be booming with all the butt hurt going on these days.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevar242 View Post
Way to go Steve. Like to see a new TV series [ or movie] Based on the same premises as the "Dukes"
Only The car is the New Dodge "HELL CAT" With the Bonny Blue on the Roof . And her name is "STONE WALL"
Let the libs figure that one out.
I have the big Dodge Durango Limited with 5.7 liter Hemi, wife drives a new turbo diesel Jetta I purchased from my place of employment, Im a technician for Volkswagen/Audi/Porsche, we sell and service all 3 brands.

I used to work for Dodge and ever since I was a kid cars was something I knew I wanted to make a career out of so I went to school studied mechanics and now take courses through Audi Academy.

The General Lee is just a car, its not racist, thats over reaching, and as a MOPAR guy how can you not appreciate the rumble of a 426 HEMI or 440 Wedge, if thats offensive to you then you dont belong in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island