Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 12:21 AM

401 posts, read 944,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
If your heritage is represented by a battle flag from a conflict that lasted 4 years, that started because of the issue of slavery, and you still cling to it 150 years later....it's a moron detector. The south has history from many years outside of 1861-1865, yet this is what represents them? This is the most culturally significant thing about the South, that people choose to represent?

The same people who tend to say that blacks should get over slavery, an institution that lasted hundreds of years, can't get over a 4 year war? Just let it go, kids.
OK. So according to your reasoning, the Muslim religion is represented by the Quran. Since ISIS is using it to desecrate all other religions and massacre others' in the name of the Quran, we should do away with it? Should Daniel Pearl's family just get over it or let it go?

Last edited by kajimenez; 06-29-2015 at 12:25 AM.. Reason: additional information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 04:47 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
People fly the confederate flag because they are racists or because they want to **** other people off. There are many things you can do which aren't illegal, but that make people know that you are a moron because you do them..flying the confederate flag is one of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Does a satisfying feeling of superiority come across you when you see somebody flying a Confederate Flag, because you know for a fact that person is a moron, and obviously, you are better than a moron, right?
Yo Ivory, you misunderstand our man dman. He doesn't think he is better than a moron. He just thinks he's a BETTER MORON!

I have to agree. He is one of the best moron's on C-D.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:16 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetstash View Post
I lean right but the confederate flag should never have been allowed on government buildings after the war. I know it was a different time but it is a sign of rebellion and many people associate with the awful legacy that is slavery. That being said, there should be no prohibition for people (right or wrong) to display it privately or in the case of government, in a museum.
Exactly!

Old 06-29-2015, 05:45 AM

5,052 posts, read 3,955,268 times
The PC police caused Ole Miss' marching band to stop playing Dixie.

Will the PC police remove it from Youtube? Am I a racist or a moron according to the PC police if I listen to or sing or hum or think about the song? I think it may offend some people.

Wikipedia: "Today, "Dixie" is sometimes considered offensive, and its critics link the act of singing it to sympathy for slavery or racial separation in the American South. Its supporters, on the other hand, view it as a legitimate aspect of Southern culture and heritage and the campaigns against it as political correctness. The song was a favorite of President Abraham Lincoln; he had it played at some of his political rallies and at the announcement of General Robert E. Lee's surrender."

I guess the PC police would want us to boycott sales of all performers who have recorded it such as Elvis and Bob Dylan. And certainly not enjoy the recent rendition by Kendel Carson.

Is "The Night they drove Old Dixie Down" next?

Old 06-29-2015, 08:06 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetstash View Post
I lean right but the confederate flag should never have been allowed on government buildings after the war. I know it was a different time but it is a sign of rebellion and many people associate with the awful legacy that is slavery. That being said, there should be no prohibition for people (right or wrong) to display it privately or in the case of government, in a museum.
My position exactly.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:37 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Does a satisfying feeling of superiority come across you when you see somebody flying a Confederate Flag, because you know for a fact that person is a moron, and obviously, you are better than a moron, right?
Yes.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:10 AM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
The PC police caused Ole Miss' marching band to stop playing Dixie.

Will the PC police remove it from Youtube? Am I a racist or a moron according to the PC police if I listen to or sing or hum or think about the song? I think it may offend some people.

Wikipedia: "Today, "Dixie" is sometimes considered offensive, and its critics link the act of singing it to sympathy for slavery or racial separation in the American South. Its supporters, on the other hand, view it as a legitimate aspect of Southern culture and heritage and the campaigns against it as political correctness. The song was a favorite of President Abraham Lincoln; he had it played at some of his political rallies and at the announcement of General Robert E. Lee's surrender."

I guess the PC police would want us to boycott sales of all performers who have recorded it such as Elvis and Bob Dylan. And certainly not enjoy the recent rendition by Kendel Carson.

Is "The Night they drove Old Dixie Down" next?
What a song!

I just had a confederate flag tattooed on my entire back.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:38 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times
Watching media is hilarious - by and large, the same people who can't comprehend how the confederate flag may offend others are the ones offended that 2 consenting adults may decide they love each other and are allowed to get married now. It cracks me up when one cries about other's delicate sensibilities... only to whine out the other side of their mouth about their own.

Our government is as dysfunctional as our people. We deserve it.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:14 AM

70 posts, read 138,074 times
I knew one of the victims and just returned from their funeral. I came online today, to check my emails and play catch up, To see this thread saddens me to the core. A U.S. senator was assassinated by an evil, radicalized domestic terrorist and people are arguing over a flag? America has a serious problem that needs addressing and reading cynical jibes about a rebel flag, co-opted and perverted by racist groups is not helping.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:42 AM

781 posts, read 1,196,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Errin1 View Post
I knew one of the victims and just returned from their funeral. I came online today, to check my emails and play catch up, To see this thread saddens me to the core. A U.S. senator was assassinated by an evil, radicalized domestic terrorist and people are arguing over a flag? America has a serious problem that needs addressing and reading cynical jibes about a rebel flag, co-opted and perverted by racist groups is not helping.
I'm very sorry for your loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island